Mt. Taylor being stocked?

505Hunter

Hey what's up guys, since I coulnd't draw out for anything this year I gave up. But, my friend today told me that Game and Fish just stocked Mt. Taylor (Unit 9) with turkey. Anyone hear anything about that? If so, I'm getting me a tag!

I have no clue as to weather the area was seeded or not with turkeys, but I will give you a little info on a typical Turkey seeding or stocking project.

As much as it sounds like getting a tag is an awesome thing to do, the stocking usually sound a lot better than they are. There is typically less than 100 turkeys that are relocated and the Tom:Hen ratio is typically along the lines of 1:10 just because the toms do become easy to hunt because they are unfamiliar and it only takes one tom to breed a lot of hens. The most turkeys that I have ever seen relocated is around 150 birds. That usually brings about 15 more toms into one general area.

With all that said, it would be cool to hear of some turkey relocation projects going on out that way.

Glad to hear it! I usually see turkeys and sign there, but last year not sure what happened, but I did not even find a track this past spring. Not sure if the winter or predators killed them off.

I had the same issue last year as well! I have NEVER seen a turkey there but my dad and uncle have in previous elk hunts, the only sign we saw was feathers. Looks like the ole' wolves got to him before I did! Haha, but I am not sure what happened either. Gonna try it this spring might be too cold in fall. I'll keep you posted on what I hear!

Ahh so I see! I am unsure of if they did stock it or not, but that would be pretty cool. I'll try and keep us updated on it if I hear anything, and if you all hear anything let me know please and thank you.:) November 1-30 fall turkey any legal sporting arm, debating if I should try and go or not or wait til spring.

Hunted elk on Mt. Taylor about 10 years ago and saw turkeys every day.....all over the place.....what happened to them?

I've only scene signs. Anyone going for fall November 1-30?
I might depending on if I can but if not, surely going for spring. Let me know if anyone is going for either/or :)

They need to re-stock elk!

600 rifle cow permits etc. Now, they want to sell the Marquez.

What a joke!

My buddy had a moblilty hunt up there a couple of weeks ago. There were 40 tags! He it was horrid! He shot a small bull on the last night of the hunt.

The management in NM is wipe them out, and make sure the landowners are happy!

check with NWTF regional wild turkey manger Scott ( google NWTF,etc ). Then consider joining NWTF, and working the wildlife projects, etc. Thanks
PS: lots and lota elk on public land!!!!

NOTHING like it was in the 90's sonny boy. i live here. one thing that would really help the hunting in unit 9 would be to have the landowner hunts the same time as the public hunts. having separate seasons really hurts the public hunting.

i agree. i came to NM in 1978, Alamogordo, so i have seen " the good old days also". However, if you hunt, you should consider giving back what you can. Water and money will count eventually to getting our wildlife back to where we want it to be.

" If you are lonely when alone, you are in bad company " Jean-Paul Sartre

My grandad was scouting up there in Mt. Taylor years back and he filmed TONS of elk! But, whenever we go where the heck are they?? We went on a spring turkey hunt last year, and we saw tons of cows and quite a few bulls, the when we went camping there the first week of archery season they couldn't find any of them. NM better get there permits and stuff together, because I sure want to still be hunting when I have my kids! And if they kill them all off, oh boy that's gonna upset alotta hunters...

the game & fish give WAY too many cow tags in this unit. they also reduced the public bull tags and increased the landowner tags.....shows who is calling the shots. also having separate seasons for the public and landowner hunts really hurts the public hunts. there's still elk but makes it a much tougher hunt. it used to be a quality unit but not so much anymore. seems like anymore the game and fish is in the buisness of managing the landowners instead of the game.

I agree! My granddad and I were looking at the proclamation this year, and we were going to try and put in for Mt. Taylor MB elk however there are barely any tags! We opted out of that one to increase our odds of drawing out. I am going to try for spring turkey over there however, hitting up the youth hunt and seeing if we can't get us a few birds. Will post pics and keep everyone posted on what I see:)

I can give you a little idea why you can go spring turkey hunting and see lots of elk and don't see any when back up there elk hunting. If you have ever been up there prior to hunting season you will find individuals herding elk with 4 wheelers and pickups with stock trailers empty clanking up and down the roads. Have come across this on more than one ocassion. You can call and tell forest service and game and fish and nothing will be done. Do you think it is coincidence there are some high dollar hunts going on the private land adjacent. I think not!!!!

I could see it! Just got back from the youth turkey hunt up there. Saw some tracks but didn't get anything. Tried calling, using multiple calls, and not one of them seemed to spark one. Saw 4 elk a week before the youth hunt however, none on the actual hunt. Not much people up there, however there were four wheelers going back by the east side of Floyd Lee ranch. I believe it's road 555? Anyway, a couple trucks with trailers came by clanking away, heard em' a whole mile before they passed our camp! Where do the elk go when hunting season is on? Everyone around us seems to always get one, yet we don't ever see some. Guess it's just the luck, huh? :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom