Mt. Taylor Tahr Hunting???

B

balz

I am heading out this weekend to see if I can possibly locate one of these. I imagine my chances are pretty slim but I have got to give this a try.
Anybody have any information they would be willing to talk about it would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan

Balz,

one time my brother and I was workin some house on Laguna Acoma reservation, that was 2 summers ago and was talking to a guy that I asked if he know some barbary sheep or Tahr..

he said he saw some tahr between Seboyta and Marquez I think...I can't remember exact..so it might be slim chance but never know!

good luck

Vinihunt

You guys are talking about barbary sheep/ audad right? There are no , NO tahr in NM, NONE , NADA , ZILCH, ZERO TAHR here.

But hey , thanks for the laugh.....Vini, Vini , Vini, you and Balz wanna go on a guided Snipe Hunt???

Come on Huntnutt, you hiding a good tahr spot or something? Tahr hunting is closed in the Water Canyon Wildlife Area (January through March) but I guess it is still open outside of that??? http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/gain/documents/maps/WaterCanyon.pdf

Isn't the remnant population out there left over from the escapees from some old high fence operation? I've seen a couple of monster barbary rams in 9 but didn't shoot as were chasing elk on the edge of a mesa....

Would love to chase them bulls on the mesa in 9 just can't draw the tag!

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

There are some hogs on that mesa for sure. Here's a unit 9 mesa country bull that I called in for my buddy a couple of years ago on the muzzle hunt... he was pretty busted up and was the smaller of two bulls we called in that morning.
TomandCody.jpg

Good luck! I've thought of doing that myself. There is a picture of one that was on the "braggin' wall" at Sportsmans in ABQ. I think it's since been moved to the books on the island just as you enter. I don't know Mt. Taylor well enough to be able to identify the location from the skyline, but it might be worth a look for you.

Wrong NMHUNTT1. There are Tahr up on Taylor. Private land owner brought them in and a few got out of the pen from what I hear. The Taxidermist I use has one in his shop from Taylor. One of the guys here at PNM that hunts a lot does helicopter fly overs of the lines and sees them every now and then. I will ask him where he last saw them. Give Gil Cordova a call at Aarons Taxidermy and he can give you some info too.

Well for any that are interested the tahr hunt was kind of a bust. Hunted hard for three days and covered alot of country but no luck. There had been a snow cat push through to the towers on the top a couple of weeks ago I would guess so we were able to make it to the top of the mountain but we ended up hiking way down off the top heading East to look further down in Water Canyon. There is a road down in there that rolls off the benches but the snow in the pine trees stopped all our vehicle traffic but we didn't let that stop us. We were not exactly sure where the WMA bounderies were so we stayed more on top but all in all never saw a track or droppings or nothing. There was not a place that we looked at that we thought could have goats on it or around it that we did not hike into but was the same story all over the entire top. Pretty fun weekend but over all the amount of animals up there seemed pretty poor we saw only 6 elk the whole weekend (they were all bulls, 2 raghorns still packing and 4 other bulls that were dropped already) We also saw 2 Deer and 1 Turkey. Never heard a tom gobble one time up there though and seemed to be a camp on every bend up there chasing Turkeys but didn't look like anyone was having any luck. Sorry I didn't get any pictures the camera ran out of batteries and I didn't come prepared. Thanks for all the posts and I am not done yet I believe I will be heading back there to see what I can see but it may not be for till next year or so. Pretty far from Las Cruces and the Lord knows these gas prices don't make trips like this very easy.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom