mule deer 101 102 & 103 NV oct1st

3362Dallas

any starting points trail heads to start from not looking for a wall hanger just freezer meat!! Tag is a buck also got a cow tag for same area! any help would be great!!

planning on that next month it is a 7 hour drive just looking for a starting point.
Hunters and my friends would help another hunter out with information not looking for someones hot spot.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-19 AT 01:41AM (MST)[p]Buckbrush. That's a real A hole reply you ought to be real proud

Your absolutly right Comules, theres no reason for that kind of remarks on this amazing site . My apologies to everyone who read that. I hope the OP's hunt is everything he wants it to be and he finds what he's looking for. Once again , my apologies for the rude post

well we're sure lucky you two nice guys showed up....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

No Biggy was just looking for a little help like I said I am going to go do some scouting soon!! I have found most of the time Hunter seem to help other hunter, I'm one who will put the work in, was just looking for a starting point never been in that area before, got lucky and got tags.

I have not hunted these units, but the NDOW has some useful info for each and every management unit on the website.

Thanks I'm already doing that before heading up next month to scout!
Just thought I would have gotten a little more help from other hunters! I know II would help anyone!

Try the area around Angel Lake (Near Wells), one trail to Winchel lake, and one trail to Greys Lake, I have only archery hunted several times, but I always find some bucks to chase around! Good luck

When I started hunting the Ruby's I was told to get a forest service map. I did and you probally should get one also. It shows access points. I have hunted in the Ruby's , when I got a tag, for the past 25 years. I have yet to see an elk. They say there is some in 102. I can't help you any on the elk but deer is easier. The first hunt is also the hardest since the deer are all ontop on the mountain ranges. So hiking in will be your way to hunt. Remember, Harrison pass just had a 16000 acre fire the beginning of August, so that would be out of the question. Also south of that there is a fire going on now. So your areas to hunt will be 101 and 102. The map will show access points into the wilderness and start backpacking in. There is plenty of places to hunt. Try soldier peak access. Someone already said about Angel lake. I use to hunt this area all the time and took some nice bucks from it. Last time there I ran into too many guides. I haven't drawn a tag for the Ruby's in 6 years, so I don't know what its like now. 8-10 years ago they alloted zillions of tags and it took it toll on the deer herd. This hunt is a hard hunt, and if its warm, climb high. You can hope for 3 feet of snow during your hunt. The deer will be down low. But it never happened when I was hunting there. Best of luck

A buddy and I hunted the first season about 10 years ago. We accessed through Lomoille Canyon.

Led our horses 11 miles south on the trail running the top of the range, dropped off on the west side about 1 mile where we camped. We were in there 2 days before the season and saw 75+ bucks in those 2 days, some being duplicates.

Season opened 10/01 that year. The evening of 10/02, we got 22? of wet snow. On 10/04 we settled for a couple of 20? 4X4s since the snow had covered all of the feed for the horses and I was running out of grain.

Beautiful country but like buckbrush said, you are going to have to hike.

Don't spend to much time looking up high. by the time the season starts, most of the bigger bucks will drop a thousand feet into the thick aspen patches. Hope for a week of freezing temps and a lot of wind to blow the leaves off the trees. BTW the Ruby's and East Humbolt's had a few inches of snow last week. sit and glass those aspen patches all day!

good luck

There are elk in 102 but I have yet to see them. A rancher I know says he sees elk in December in the low country but not many and he lives there.

They don't want any elk in the Rubies so they continue the onslaught to get them out. I might suggest that you post this in the Nevada forum and you might get some help from the locals. Maybe a guide for the elk as it takes someone up there all the time to time their movements.

Lots of deer in the Rubies but they put out 750 tags for each season last year but have cut those numbers almost in half this year.

Glass Glass and then Glass some more you will find the bucks they are there just not as big as they used to be.

I saw on 30" two point shot on the first hunt last year that was a bruiser.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom