Mule Deer 4th Season

JSTWIG22

Was just wondering if there were any big deer killed during this new late season? What were some scores? Pics would be nice.

4th Season,

We applied for the last season in area 61 last season last year and were rejected even though we had 12 points. What the boys from the Fish and Game didn't tell us was that they cancelled the last season. Since Iam a new member and may have missed this topic earlier, can anyone tell me why?

>4th Season,
>
>We applied for the last season
>in area 61 last season
>last year and were rejected
>even though we had 12
>points. What the boys from
>the Fish and Game didn't
>tell us was that they
>cancelled the last season. Since
>Iam a new member and
>may have missed this topic
>earlier, can anyone tell me
>why?

It wasn't cancelled. According to the draw odds, it took 15 points for a non-resident last year. You just didn't have enough points.

ColoradoOak,

Thank you for the answer to my question about area 61. We hunted there in 2007 and talked with other hunters who drew with 7 points. Boy what a difference a week makes.I never heard about much of a winter kill on west side of the plateau.Did you hear much about the success that the hunters had during that last week? Thanks again for the info.

Lost, I hunted 3rd season in 07 with 7 NR pps too, BUT not everyone with 7 points drew.

How'd you do. I was pretty frustrated with the warm weather.

There were only 10 tags in 61 for forth. 2008
The hunt codes are set in January, Number of tags in May. Take Gunnison, in 07 there were 15 tags in each of the 5 units for forth. in 08 after the die off they cut them to 3 per unit. They would have dropped it all together but the Code was printed?3 was reasonable IMO. 09 DOW killed all doe tags and the 4th season hunt code for Gunnison in December. To have a 4th season buck hunt the unit has to make DAU buck to doe ratios for 3 years. We all know Gunnison will not make it post hunt 2008. So the hunt code is gone. Good job DOW. Also DOW got some collars on deer in December. Gunnison is getting our own mortality study. Again Good Job DOW. I'm just disappointed my wife saw a collared deer before I did?. She will tell you about it too?.

Califelkslayer,

I burnt my points in 07 for the same hunt you had. It seems like Iam one of those guys that buys high and sells low as I used 11 big ones. I scouted for three days prior to the hunt and saw a total of around thirty deer with seven or eight being bucks, all small. I shot a buck the first morning at daylight. He was a four or five year old, heavy in the rut. He was a 26 inch 5x4 with good mass. I dont usually shoot this early in a hunt but we were seeing very few deer. I met another hunter from Nev. He stayed for the whole season and did not take a buck. He said it stayed warm and dry. He and his partner only saw one buck bigger than mine taken. He heard that another hunter shot a big non typical. A little snow on the plateau would have been a great help. Did you take a buck on the hunt? I appreciate the info. Thanks again.

Lost, I took an mature buck that wasn't even a 4X4 the last afternoon.

I did run into 2 guys from bout from 100 miles north of me and they both took good, no GREAT bucks. I saw them the 4th day and they were roadhuntin. When I got home, an aquaintance told me about 2 guys from the same small town that took these great bucks and gave me their number. The dad told me they took a 29.5"er and a 31.5"er. I met them @ the RMEF convention in Reno last February and saw the pics. 190" bucks, both!! They took them the next to last day and last day, roadhuntin Blue Mesa.

Califelkslayer,

Thanks for the info on your buck. Sorry that you didn't have better luck. Those fellas you met at the RMEF convention didn't happen to live in McArthur did they? Thanks Lost

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom