Mule Deer and Mountains?

jakeaba

Hey all, I drew a muzzleloader hunt and this would be my first mule deer.

I am assuming water in NW Nevada is like gold to these deer. I have heard several people reccomend mountain ranges in the vicinity of my unit. Do mule deer stick to these higher elevations? I see a larger water source down closer to highways and such but it seems like everyone says to look high. I know this is probably a no brainer to some, but I'm trying to teach myself to hunt and appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Jacob

In my experience depending on the terrain if there's high mountains and they are still somewhat green they may not need to water that often. They get a lot of water from the food they're eating plus there's a lot of little seeps, streams, puddles, and ponds so they can get water from sources we may not know about.

Gotcha, thank you for the reply!

So you would be doing your e-scouting up in the taller parts of the unit I take it?

Jacob

Desert deer prefer the flats where it is thick trees along washes, true big Sonoran Mule Deer rarely climb the mountain.

Thank you! So if I’d be happy with a spike, maybe concentrate on the larger water source?
No, be particular, my experience is in desert south west hunt units.
I have always had my best experiences in the low wash areas in the thick areas where water is within a mile.

No, be particular, my experience is in desert south west hunt units.
I have always had my best experiences in the low wash areas in the thick areas where water is within a mile.
I would not call NW Nevada a southwest desert hunt.....and if there is a Sonoran buck there he is a loooong ways from home.

Thanks all, no deer yet . I’m going to start looking near some juniper trees. There’s been a lot of cows out on the bLM land so I assume they don’t want to compete with them….

You will find forkies and does in lower elevations early and late in the day. The mature bucks know better and will stay up high and for as long as they possibly can. When it gets too cold and there is no feed, they will either migrate to a completely different area/unit or head lower within the same mountain range if they are a resident herd.

Cattle in an area is generally not a good sign. I guess the deer tire of their epic flatulence and don't want to deal with it. Don't be surprised to find cattle at 8k and higher.

Despite all of this, sometimes deer break all the rules. So, stop and glass the surrounding canyons as you move or hike around. You just might find a monster bedded down lower than you would expect.

You will find forkies and does in lower elevations early and late in the day. The mature bucks know better and will stay up high and for as long as they possibly can. When it gets too cold and there is no feed, they will either migrate to a completely different area/unit or head lower within the same mountain range if they are a resident herd.

Cattle in an area is generally not a good sign. I guess the deer tire of their epic flatulence and don't want to deal with it. Don't be surprised to find cattle at 8k and higher.

Despite all of this, sometimes deer break all the rules. So, stop and glass the surrounding canyons as you move or hike around. You just might find a monster bedded down lower than you would expect.
Thank you! I would be absolutely thrilled with a forkie so I am going to spend the evening tonight down by the river. The species distribution map shows mule deer there and high in the mountains. Couple days of hiking and glassing morning / evenings and haven’t seen anything but antelope up high. Not even does or fawns. So while I would love a monster rack, for my first year out I would be thrilled for a forkie or spike and just happy to plain see a few deer. All this gear wasn’t cheap and I’d be happy to just have some meat and work on finding big ones once I think I have more experience! Thank you again!

So while I would love a monster rack, for my first year out I would be thrilled for a forkie or spike and just happy to plain see a few deer. All this gear wasn’t cheap and I’d be happy to just have some meat and work on finding big ones once I think I have more experience! Thank you again!
You're welcome, and you are definitely right about quality gear being pricey. I know you said you glass morning and night, but be sure to get out there and settle in before the sun breaks over the horizon. Chances are, they are already well into eating their breakfast.

Also, some bucks bed once the sun comes up, then move again to their final bedding place for the day when the sun's angle changes. Stay on him. Likewise, in the afternoon, get out there before the sun sets and stay there for as long as you can see through your glass. That small window in the morning and evening is when you will spot the most movement.

Be very aware of the wind and what it is doing otherwise you will blow out an entire canyon of deer and not know it.

You're welcome, and you are definitely right about quality gear being pricey. I know you said you glass morning and night, but be sure to get out there and settle in before the sun breaks over the horizon. Chances are, they are already well into eating their breakfast.

Also, some bucks bed once the sun comes up, then move again to their final bedding place for the day when the sun's angle changes. Stay on him. Likewise, in the afternoon, get out there before the sun sets and stay there for as long as you can see through your glass. That small window in the morning and evening is when you will spot the most movement.

Be very aware of the wind and what it is doing otherwise you will blow out an entire canyon of deer and not know it.
Awesome . Thanks!

Do you have some sort of shade rigging to stay out all day? Or does that mean I’m hunting bad spots if I can’t find a tree or something to sit under for shade. I’m going to attach a couple photos of places I’ve glassed. I plan on making a post called “judge my failed hunt” if this doesn’t go well with these photos as well, but for now. I’ll put a few….thank you so much!

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

image.jpg

Do you have some sort of shade rigging to stay out all day?
I do not. Just a hat and anything I can sit under (aspen, rock outcropping, large sagebrush, etc). Most of your pictures appear to be simple hills in the lowlands and it looks like there is a guzzler in one of the images but I would not rely on that to spot deer especially with all the rain this year.

The last picture and the one with your truck with the mountain range is where you need to focus your glassing efforts.

As another option, you can drive to the foothills of that mountain and glass with a spotter from your truck down below. It is not ideal of course because you will not be able to glass over ridges, etc, but you may spot a single (or herd of bachelor) bucks. From there, you can formulate a plan to stalk them.

Once again, thank you!

that is a humongous help and I will be looking for more vast , open spots like you mentioned (truck photo) to glass. I’m new to this and it’s so hard to believe they can live in such harsh open country like that! They’re tough critters, thanks again

You're welcome. Please keep us posted. It is not uncommon to spend a whole season (and usually more) just to find and pattern their behavior before a single shot is taken. Muleys are tough and their ability to adapt to wicked terrain is one of the reasons why they can be difficult to spot. However, they still need to eat, move, sleep and poop and hopefully you will be watching them through your glass when they do any of those things. :)

Once again, thank you!

that is a humongous help and I will be looking for more vast , open spots like you mentioned (truck photo) to glass. I’m new to this and it’s so hard to believe they can live in such harsh open country like that! They’re tough critters, thanks again
Try to find some terrain with more brush. You want a variety of color and size of brush. Without getting too detailed..they won’t typically prefer an area with homogenous plant life. They like to eat a little of this, little of that, etc. And they want close access to shade (brush, junipers, patches of aspen).

Good luck; I would cover lots of country in the truck until you start to find the terrain the deer are using. From there branch out on foot.

Awesome . Thanks!

Do you have some sort of shade rigging to stay out all day? Or does that mean I’m hunting bad spots if I can’t find a tree or something to sit under for shade. I’m going to attach a couple photos of places I’ve glassed. I plan on making a post called “judge my failed hunt” if this doesn’t go well with these photos as well, but for now. I’ll put a few….thank you so much!

View attachment 119712

View attachment 119713

View attachment 119714

View attachment 119715
An area like this last picture, but on a higher slope would be a good place to look.

Find tracks and scat glass from daylight to dark where you seen sign you will find deer and what there doing. Good luck

I see failure, and lots of it. Welcome to the club, 70% of us fail, yearly. The failure is what keeps us going the other 11months of the year. Make sure you take time to enjoy the experience.

Some great advice is being shared here. I don't have much to add. I really like the "Try to find some terrain with more brush. You want a variety of color and size of brush. Without getting too detailed..they won’t typically prefer an area with homogenous plant life. " I can't tell you how many times that has worked for me. Once your eye has been trained to look for mule deer habitat it'll be second nature for you and those will be the areas you will be targeting.

I am interested to know how your hunt ends. Keep us updated and good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom