Mule Deer Draw

bear1945

I am a nonresident with 13 deer points. I am looking into using my points on a unit where I can hopefully find a 185" buck with some work put in to it. Any suggestions on units and what to expect?

Last edited:
Are you saying apply in Colorado? I have Wyoming points Im wanting to use.
If you want a good chance at a 185” buck on public land I suggest you try Colorado at current. If you want to go fully guided on private land in Wyoming a few areas you can accomplish that.

bear, HFF'S point is that a 185 buck is a tall order anywhere in Wyoming now - even in max point units. Its possible of course but if thats your only measure of a good hunt you'll likely be dissapointed. If you're looking for info I'd suggest you look at draw odds, narrow your choice down to a unit or 2, look at the archives here, do a little google earth recon, then ask more specific questions. Your OP sounds like you're wanting someone to do your homework for you. Not trying to be an azz but....

13 Points will not get you the top 4 or 5 units and like others said that 185 plus is to tall of an expectation. 170/175 plus, yes you can maybe do that but on your own you better clear your schedule out. Start doing some homework. Or hit the easy button and go guided on private
You have an equal chance of killing a 175 plus with a general tag with someone with no points that knows an area really well, hunted last year and you can share points with. Winter has not been been bad yet anyway should be a decent year but March and April are still to come, more worried about continuing drought at lower elevations now.

weaver is right Bear. No amount of points will get you a chance at a 185" buck in any unit (probably in any state) unless you know where the big deer hang out and how to hunt them. Even in the very best units, it's still hard to find a buck that size, and while Wyoming has deer that big and bigger, they aren't that plentiful.
The best units all require top points for NR's and 13 points won't even sniff a tag in those units. In essence, you are in no man's land, unless you drop your expectations or maybe hire a guide.
Some general units hold a few big deer but deer that size also have names and at least a handful of guys sitting on them day and night.
I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear but that's my take on Wyoming deer.
Best of luck finding what you want.

Points do not correlate to size of deer. It seems like the information sellers will tell you that, but it is not true. Good luck on your quest.

Rich

I am a nonresident with 13 deer points. I am looking into using my points on a unit where I can hopefully find a 185" buck with some work put in to it. Any suggestions on units and what to expect?
If you’re true to this “with some work put in to it”, region G it can be done. I find 185+ bucks every year. But it does take that work you mentioned, and time.
There’s quite possibly better options for you, but I promise that with enough time and effort, you can find a 185+ buck in G. And 13 points will get you there this year.

But expect to work up a sweat getting to where you need to be, expect to invest at least 10 days into scouting, expect some competition from other hunters, and expect it to be really hard to get that 185 buck in your crosshairs.
Super cool country up there! I expect to be back again this year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom