Multiple species LE application idea!!

txhunter58

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-13 AT 06:21PM (MST)[p]Ok, I and every other nonresident I know have been unhappy ever since they allowed us to apply for multiple species. Why? Because it gives us much worse odds and no more opportunity. We can still draw only one tag. If and when we draw a tag, we are removed from drawing another tag for that year.

Here is my idea AND I think it is a good idea for residents as well as nonresidents:

Apply for as many bonus points as you want, but only allow you to apply for one LE hunt.

So Utah gets their increase in revenue ($10 per species) and it costs them less (they don't have to put bonus points only in the drawings).

We get to keep up points wise in multiple species, but can only apply for one hunt drawing.

I used to apply only for an elk tag because I want that more than anything. Now, to keep up, I have to apply for both deer and elk. My elk odds have dropped dramatically and I am sure the deer odds have done the same.

So, with this change, I can still keep up with deer points so that if I ever draw an elk tag, I have kept up and can then apply for a deer tag, but the odds go way up since you can only apply for one hunt.

We get a better deal and Utah gets to keep more money. Works both if you are a resident or nonresident. What is not to love??

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Well now you can say that you know someone that is happy about it. I have 13 elk points as a nonresident and I was pissed when they made the change for multiple species. Then I drew the Henry Mountains deer tag with 1 point and then drew the Willard Peak mountain goat hunt with 2 points. I still have 13 elk points and 13 Bison points and haven't drawn either one.

marley ---we have in common the Double Digit Curse!

I draw lot's of my tags with 5 or less points but I have a few species/states that I hit the Double Digit Curse and it is going to be a long ride!! ha

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-13 AT 05:58AM (MST)[p]I would be too if I were you Marley! But only one in 1000 are gonna feel that way. I always seem to be in the 999. LOL

The last year I applied for the elk tag I really want, there were 117 applicants (before the switch). This past year there were 351 applicants.

txhunter58

Oh believe me, I get it but if I complained about it now, I know some people that would kill me in my sleep.

Having nonresidents the opportunity to apply for all species and residents can not, is wrong anyway you look at it. Your odds are slim but residents odds are 0 out a 1000

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-13 AT 08:42PM (MST)[p]

It certainly gives us NO advantage, just disadvantage (lower odds). We are really only applying for one hunt. Can't draw more than one. However if allowed to apply for bonus points only, then it would help us and you.

You won't get any sympathy from me. We already get less than 10% of your tags and for an example:

Just one comparison:
San Juan Elk
Residents rifle: 1 in 82
residents muzzy: 1 in 22

Nonresidents rifle: 1 in 650
Nonresdents muzzy: 1 in 350

Although these odds are listed by Utah, I realize those aren't the "real" odds because they don't take into account the max points tags and how many bonus points you have, but they are close enough for comparison. Before we were allowed to "apply" for multiple species, my odds on the muzzy were less than 1 in 100.

I would be happy to switch: you can apply to multiple species and we can apply for only one! Go for it!

txhunter58

That's a great idea Dave. I wrote the fish and game and voiced my displeasure about us being able to apply for everything, they thanked me for my input, but nothing has changed. I like your idea, they still get their 10 bucks a pop and it would lower our odds a little.

txhunter
I think your idea is great don't get me wrong. Something definitley needs to change. Nonresidents odds went from awful to worse...While residents are stuck applying for one specie without building bouns points for other species for the rest of there life. I have a few non-res family members that have pulled a few crazy tags also.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom