muzz elk 81?

pwrlineman

Dad and I have 8 elk points and are weighing our options for a muzzle hunt. with the point creep we may never catch some of the better units and Dad is not getting any younger. Is this unit worth 8 points? I did bow hunt it 7 years ago with out much success, but probably could have done better if I'd had more time. I am looking to utilize as many points as possible and this unit takes more than the average unit. Is this a fair indicator to the quality of bulls? I would appreciate any info you may be willing to share. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-12 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]Most units take 3 points to draw a muzzy tag, this one takes 4, not a big jump. I wouldn't waste 8 points on a unit that is an OTC for archery and 2nd and 3rd rifle and had only a 19% success rate last year. There are better choices. Have you used the "draw odds" on this site?

http://monstermuleys.hunterstrailhead.com/huntsearch.php?ST=CO

Just put in elk, nonresident and your points and hit search. Leave the unit and weapon blank. You will find some other draw only units you can draw with 8.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have been over the draw odds and it seems you need 3 or 4 points in most units and 10 to 12 in others with the creep pushing it higher every year. I would prefer a muzz hunt but may have to reconsider. I noticed that units 4 and 5 require more than the average 3 or 4 points but I am unfamiliar with these units. Thanks.

I dont think unit 81 is worth 8 points. As far as quality bulls go, I dont think I have seen any that push 300" in a while. That goes for unit 80 as well. I live here/hunt both units every year for 24+ yrs and am possibly looking at hunting elsewhere this year. I know the area very well, just getting too many inconsiderate people up there nowadays. Just my opinion. I am sure there are units that hold better quality animals that this one.

There are also some decent draw only units that take more than 8 points for muzzleloading, but less than that for 1st rifle. Most years, bulls are still in the rut and 1st rifle has less hunters than other rifle seasons.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom