Muzzle Brakes?

T264

Who makes the best muzzle brake? I am going to have one installed on a 300 weatherby SBGM and need some input. All opinions welcomed.Thanks
T264

I would recommend that you shoot a gun with a muzzle brake on it before you install one. I think you will change your mind if you do.

I prefer the Vais breaks. I have one on my .300 Ulta Mag and .375 Ultra Mag. I've shot Browning's BOSS muzzle break and both Barnes muzzle breaks. They're effective in reducing felt recoil, but they just blow your ears out. The Vais break is just as effective at reducing recoil, if not more, and they are a allot less harsh on your ears in the field. Any gunsmith can order one from Brownell's or directly from the manufacturer (www.muzzlebrakes.com).

Have to go with DirtySteve on this one...shoot one first..as soon as your hearing comes back tell yourself 3 times.."I will NEVER do that again".
If you really NEED a MB maybe change your mind about the caliber.
Some people like them some don't...had a buddy one time put one on a 7 Mag. swore by it at first, couple months later was asking me if he could cut it off.

I have to tell you from alot of expierance don't let these guys talk you out of installing one on your gun,it's the best thing since peanut butter,
but in all reality Gentry makes a muzzle break called the quiet brake ,(no it's not quiet) but all the ports face slightly foward and that helps alot,with noise and dust,rocks.
Here's a situation if you shoot off a backpack on the ground or a harris bypod the rifle barrel is approx 8 to 11 inches from the ground, once you fire the shot all the dust and small rocks will be blown in front of your rifle, Now with a kdf or vias all the dust and rocks will hit you and your scope in the face I use to own both of those brakes vias and kdf and would never use them again because of that same fact after yout shot you can't get a follow up shot until you remove all the rocks from your eyes and head.
no lie Gentry Quiet brake is the way to go.
Warbird

My dad had a muzzle break on his 340 weatherby mag. It definitly helped. But it is one loud gun with it on. The brake was from Weatherby. It worked awesome. If i was you, you may want to consider sending the gun to them and having them install if for you. That way there wont be in warranty problems either. they can cut the barrel down so you can keep your barrel at 28 or 28 inches whatever it is.

Garrett

T264,

Don't cut your barrel down. There's a reason you have a .300 Weatherby. You take two inches off the barrel and you could loose up to 100 fps in velocity. That gun needs all 26" of barrel to burn the powder and perform as it should.

As to warbird's comments on the Vais brake throwing dust and rocks in your face, I shoot prone in the field with a Caldwell bypod and have never had the problem he describes with the Vais brake. I'm not saying his claims aren't true, I've just never had that problem. I've also never shot with a "quiet brake". I would say check them out and make your own decision.

Thanks for the opinions and advice. I think after looking and talking to several people I am going with the Vais brake. They seem to be highly reputable and effective as well as being close to home so I can hand deliver and pick up my rifle. Thanks,
T264

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom