Muzzleloader Cow Hunt

elkliver

Hi, I am looking at hunting in another state for the first time and have narrowed it down to a statewide muzzleloader cow. Ideally interested in the NW 1/4 or at least the West 1/2 of the state in order to cut down on drive time. Can anybody give me a line on a particular unit for that time of year? Probably an area with some road access but with roadless area a guy can bail into and get away.

Not looking for specifics, just a starting point. I can get the maps and formulate a game plan from there.

And yes, I know that everybody and their dog asks this question. Hoping someone will take pity on a hungry hunter.

Damned good question Elkliver,
...and welcome to MM. btw..

I could give you some real rank advise,
but I won't, cause some good input will be
forthcoming from some good folk.

Hope you enjoy your backstrap, and your time on MM.

Larry

Truly roadless areas generally means that you have to have some wilderness areas. Start by looking for areas with wilderness. Then check out the statistics on the Colorado website. Look for hunter numbers and success rates for the hunt you want. They even have a section that gives success rates for cow hunters. Once you come up with 4 or 5 units that look promising, then ask some questions and you will likely get some useful info.

And you are right, eveyone does it. And most guys in the know are not likely to give out even a unit for someone who comes on a website and asks for this type of info on their first post. YOU at least have to do some preliminaries and have some idea.

Here is a starting point: Flat tops, west elk, maroon bells, and Weminuche wildernesses. Lots of elk in those. You can also call the local DOW offices and ask them about roadless areas in their districts that are not wilderness. There are some areas where you can get pretty far from a road that are not wilderness. Then the question is how far are you really willing to pack in and haul a cow elk out?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks, i'll take look at those wilderness areas, review the maps and probably have more questions. In my own state, i'd take a weekend or 2 and run out and do some scouting. tough to do from so far away.

F&W info helps but they don't always tell you "elk in this unit are usually on private that time of year" So trying to do the best i can with Websites, biologist info and hopefully a PM tip or two from knowledgable people on this site.

I hunted the flat tops during second rifle season last year and was disappointed with the amount of hunters and lack of elk..The area we hunted had a fairly easy access trail and appararently lots of people who knew about it..If you could draw an early tag (which takes lots of points) I may go there but otherwise I would keep looking...

GMU 14,15 and 231 all have good access and hold good numbers of elk in the early seasons and can be hunted with a general muzzleoader tag.You can't go wrog with any of these unirs.They all hold elk ,but it is up to you to find them.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom