muzzleloader/scope?

>Any power? I thought 1X

Use to be JUNK 1X's!

Now you can put whatever you want on these New One Shot Rifles!

I'm going to throw a 24x nightforce on my flintlock. Should be able to get that 190 gr. round ball out there at least 150 yards.

Get ready for change because it's going to happen!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-18 AT 07:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-18 AT 07:01?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-18 AT 06:59?PM (MST)

When law changed 2 years ago, I just happened to be building a custom muzzleloader so threw my nightforce 4-14 shv on it.

Guns in photo. Muzzleloader built on Stevens 200. Takes 209 primers and bh209 so it's utah legal.

>Yes you can...any power. This
>will be the second year
>they are allowed.

This will be the 3rd year they are allowed

I haven't hunted with Muzzleload for several years, i plan on buying a new one this year. Can these newer Muzzy's get out 200 yards with accuracy now that scopes can be used? What is a good Muzzleoader to buy these days?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-18 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]Im from wa and can only use a peep. Shooting it from a bench, bipod, sandbag i can shoot a decent group. No clue how tight i could get it if with a scope. Probly decent enough for 200 or a bit more.

I shoot a traditions. It was cheap but it has been more reliable than my friend who shoots a knight. First load shot great. 100 gr of triple 7 powder, 350 gr hornady lead bullet and rws primers.

Any modern bolt or break open muzzleloader should get you to 200. Scope really does not matter much at 200 if you have good eyes and a ?fine? sight.

Most scopes with turrets or a drop retical can get you to 250-300 ethically. After that you start to loss energy quick in a standard setup.

I have been hunting with only Muzzleloaders since 1990 except for that bad choice to any weapon general bull elk hunt in 1996 to help a co-worker out. My understanding of laws of physics is that if I put a bigger scope on my 58 cal. 1/66 twist barrel I will be able to get that round ball out there to 800 or a 1000 yards so I can shoot elk on a dead run across a canyon in a snow storm? Or will that big round chunk of lead with bad ballistic coefficient loose energy and fall out of the sky just as quickly as it did with my original iron sights?
I have 7 different muzzleloading rifles and I have killed game with 5 of them. Everything from moose, elk X 3, deer lost count, to coyote's and even shoot the heads off of blue grouse setting in the pines at 30 yards (most of the time with 1st shot). I did all of this with open sights or a 1X scope and I just started using them about 8 years ago because I started to get old people vision. My point is this will only encourage people that most likely have no concept of physics to try and do what I explained just because they have a very good sight picture out to 600 yards now. Anyone that believe they will get a muzzleloading rifle to humanly kill big game beyond 250 yards is no sportsman and I would only do that with my modern in lines. Ethics is a big part of being a sportsman, I have let many deer/elk walk away as I shook my head and said 30 years ago I would have been carrying a 25-06/338 Win Mag. and your life would have ended today. Part of muzzeloading weapon system is that the sportsman has put self-imposed restrictions on them self's. And yes 2 years ago I did mount a 2.5 X 8 Leopold VX III I had laying around on one of my Austin Hallicks. I keep a bullet drop starting at 100 yards in 25 yard increments out to 250 yds. and wind drift chart with 10 MPH increments laminated to the side of that rifle just in case I do see that nice animal that would have been in range for my 338 Win Mag.

Here?s an example of range on a standard break open muzzloader:

300 gr SST (published BC is .25, real life is .21 to .22. Comparable to Barnes.

My velocity out of my cva wolf with 74gr by weight of BH209 1930fps max load for the gun.

Bullet is nearly subsonic at 300 yard, 10 mph wind is almost 20 MOA of shift.

I shoot this setup out of my cva wolf it's great to 300 if you can put it in the spot after that it lacks the velocity/energy. I have this setup for a backup for my custom mz or as a loaner and I run a 1x red dot.

That's a pretty standard break open performance if you can shoot BH209. The scope does not make it reach out. A higher end or custom mz is how to get farther.

I'm pushing a 344 gr custom high BC bullet to 2450 FPS and it goes subsonic around 875 yards confirmed BC. I have shoot it sub moa at 725 yards. I am comfortable at 450 yards on hair with a good wind and setup prone. I have shoot 1 buck with setup at 250 slightly qaurtered away. Hopefully another will drop come this fall.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom