Muzzleloader set-up question

BigDaddyL

Let me here what your go to setup is for Muzzle loading. I have a Muzzy Mule Deer tag and I would like to know what works for everyone. All my muzzleloader experience is back east with whitetails under 100 yards.

So I am going to see if I can get my CVA Accura V2 to be consistent out to 300 yards. I have been using .50 caliber, 270 gr. Powerbelt Platinum's, with 150gr. of IMR White Hot pellets. Was what CVA recommended and worked fine as far as I could tell for the whitetails and the close distance I was shooting. I'd shoot and they would die usually within 50 yards.

I have purchased some Blackhorn 209, some Barnes TMZ 290 grain bullets & Sabots, some Hornady SST 300 grain bullets and sabots, and some Powerbelt Aero-lite 300 grain bullets to see if a combo would work better than what I am shooting currently. I figured I would start with 110 grains of Blackhorn and each bullet to see what happens and then branch out from there for better possibilities.

Any reccomendations/info/first hand knowledge you all can provide would be great.

Thanks everyone! Good Luck hunting this year.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-19 AT 04:06PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-19 AT 04:04?PM (MST)

I'm currently shooting CVA Optima V2. Shooting 90 grains of 209 Black Horn, 250 grain of Hornaday SST, and 260 grain of Scorpion PT Gold. I'm fairly accurate between 200-250. I won't shoot past 300yards
I use this set up for deer,elk and antelope

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-19 AT 02:08PM (MST)[p]I'm shooting 110 grains of blackhorn 209 with a 250 Parker ballistic extreme from my tc encore and getting great results beyond 300 yards.

>I've been muzzle loading for approx
>7-9 years. I'm currently shooting
>CVA Optima V2. Shooting 90
>grains of 209 Black Horn,
>250 grain of Hornaday
>SST, and 260 grain of
>Scorpion PT Gold. I'm fairly
>accurate between 200-250. I won't
>shoot past 300yards
>I use this set up for
>deer,elk and antelope

I too started out shooting Hornady 250 SST with 90-95 grains of BH209. Wasn't happy at all with the groups. Switched to Barnes 290 TEZ, world of difference. Better groups, better ballistics all the way around. I'm shooting the CVA Accura MR. Used to shoot pellets, never looking back after swetching to BH. Cleaner, just better all around.

Cant help much with cva rifles. Every muzzleloader bore will vary within a few thousands and it makes the world of difference in accuracy. Lots of sabot options in the 50 cal to find a snug fit is the key.

I got a vortek strikerfire 50cal: Likes 66gr weight bh209 and 260 scorpion gold with black ez load sabots. Federal shotshell primers. 1.5-2" groups consistently at 100yds

Knight Mountaineer 45cal 1in20 twist: Likes 240gr 40cal cutting edge maximus bullet with 64.5 gr of bh209. Winchester shotshell primers.
1" groups at 100yds

Start buying bh209 now cause it will be out of stock when you need it most.

Omega 50 cal 100 gr BH209 Sabot 295gr 3x9 scope with 3 crosshairs in it good out to 400 yds (top of post is the 400 yds).

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Just checking - did you get the correct breechplug that shoots BH209? It is not the standard one.

Custom rem700ML built by ASG. I shoot their 300x bullet in front of blackhorn. Was able to take bulls at 400 and 450 with it last yr.

Sounds to me like you're doing it right. A couple things I would add to your experimenting is actually weighing your BH powder charges on a digital scale for the most consistency, and trying different primers. Per my experience, I get the most consistency with Powerbelts, and I think they're just fine for deer, but based on the research that I've done, I would never use a Powerbelt for elk.

Make sure you have the right sabots. I had a hell of a time figuring out my Rem Ultimate until i realized my load was to hot and i was key holing everything. It was a mess. The supplied green sabots and the short blacks from Parker worked great and my best load was 105 grain by weight of 209 with 300 gr. match hunters.

UPDATE

Can someone a little smarter than me explain why I am on at 100 & 200 but then way right at 300 yards? Was a fairly calm day, I tried to wait for the breeze to stop each time fired.

I am leaning towards the SST due to the following:
1. Is easier to load than the Barnes TMZ.
2. Is cheaper than both the other options.
3. Doesn't have a reputation to fragment like the Powerbelt.

Let me know what you all think.

I went to the range and shot the following all using Winchester Primers:

Original Load- 150gr. IMR White Hots with 270gr Powerbelt Platinum Aero-tip. Group was about 5" at 100yards. Did not shoot at 200.

New Load 1= 120gr. Blackhorn 209 with 300gr. Hornady SST. Group was about 1.75-2" at 100 yards. Dead on at 200 yards using second BDC circle down on NIKON BDC Scope.
About 6-7 inches right at 300 yards using top of 4th BDC circle.

New Load 2= 120gr. Blackhorn 209 with 290gr. Barnes TMZ.
Group was about 2-2.5" at 100 yards. Dead on at 200 yards using second BDC circle down on NIKON BDC Scope.
About 5-6 inches right at 300 yards using top of 4th BDC circle.

New Load 3= 120gr. Blackhorn 209 with 300gr. Powerbelt Aero-lite.Group was about 1-1.5" at 100 yards. Dead on at 200 yards using second BDC circle down on NIKON BDC Scope. About 7-8 inches right at 300 yards using top of 4th BDC circle.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-19 AT 11:06AM (MST)[p]EFNM,

Yes I purchased the correct Breech Plug. Thanks for looking out though.

It sounds like your scope may mounted with the reticle canted clockwise. Or you have a bit more left to right wind than you think. I am betting on the first.

You?re on the right track. I? helped dial in 4 guys with their muzzys up to 400 yards. I shot my last buck at 386 yds
with mine. One of my bros shot his Bull Elk at 160 yds, and the other bro
Shot his antelope at 215yds.
If you're willing to tweak your recipe a bit, and Buy the Nikon BDC scope at $99 bucks we'll get you there.
Nick. 505-603-1340 N.M.

I found your message about the scope, sounds like you have half of what you need. Problem is your all over the board
With all those recipes, ( id be going nuts by now) like I said before call me, now that I know you have The Nikon BDC,
I can get you rifle accuracy out to 400 yds.
If you buy what I recommend, it should only cost you about $45-$75 or even less. Give me a shout.
Last time I'm gonna offer help.
Nick.

Sorry everyone, I have been out of town for work the past few weeks.

I did manage to get to the range prior to my trips.

I backed off on my powder to 77grains by weight and it seemed to solve all my problems. 100yard group was very close to being within MOA and dead on at 200 and 300 yards.

1deadmuley, I would still be interested in what you are using since you say I have about half of what I need to be accurate out to 400yards. Let me know what you think I should be using.

Thanks everyone, good luck hunting!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom