muzzy advise

txjp

My son drew a 45 muzzy tag this year.

couple questions
I have killed several deer years ago with muzzy but never an elk. What do I need to know and what is the best load?

Follow up question is I have been in 45 a few times bow hunting. Never in first of October. I have a couple spots in mind to start but there going to be around 11k. Is that going to be way high that time of year?

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Depends on a few variables. Bull or cow? How old is your son? But the biggest thing is to find a load your gun shoots well. Some guns can go up to 150 grains of powder(most newer ones). Some can shoot black horn(shotgun 209 primers). Id check what your gun can do. I've never have a problem with mine. I shoot 100 grains black horn powder, 209 primed, 250 grain Barnes expander mz. Get really good groups out of that load, and devastating on animals.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

My dad destroyed a bull a few years ago. About 200 yards. 295 gr sabot. 150 gr 777. Huge 6x6. Didn't move an inch after the shot. Main thing is shoot your gun and find a load that groups well. Put it in the right spot and the rest is history.

I've yet to find a bull worthy of my sabot, so my opinion is worthless on that. But I will say that through all my experimenting with different loads, Black Horn powder really grew on me. From not having to wait to see through the smoke to ramming down a quick followup--it just seems to make the whole process a little easier.

One of the few times I've ever been riled enough to call NMDGF was that year when the proclamation came out lumping Black Horn with smokeless and thus making it illegal to use. I must not have been the only one, because that language disappeared really fast...

It's a bull tag. My son is 21 so he can shoot any load. We have been shooting 250 grain sabot with 100grains of powder and 209 primer. It groups well.
Thanks for the info! We haven't shot at 200 yet plan on it this weekend.

I have a Thompson Omega and have it topped with a Nikon Omega scope with BDC recticle. There is a suggested load for that set-up and if you follow the play book, it's dead on accurate. To test it out, it took a doe antelope in WY at 225 yds and I could not have been happier with the shot. ended up taking a bull in NM as well but it was at only 100 yds. both animals dropped in their tracks.

I'm super happy with something like 75gr of BH209 behind a 250g Barnes TEZ in my CVA. Note that I weigh each of my loads and store them in a speedloader type tube I got off Ebay. Weighing reduces the variability of just eyeballing the volume (75gr = ~108gr blackpowder).

If you can find it, afford it, and legally use it I see no reason to use anything but BH209.

PowerBelt, shoot all grains out of your rifle. Use the one that your gin like a the most. That gets the tightest grouping. Won't use anything else, at anything else after you try them.

Please whatever you do please do not use Power Belt bullets - they load easy but are terrible. I have killed or watched my gun(s) kill well over 100 animals with Barnes bullets. I have watched painfully as some people have tried to use Power Belts in their guns - they load really easy - that is not a good thing is you think about it. There are many other good bullets if you do not want to use Barnes for some reason. I cannot believe they even still sell them with some many other good options out there.

150 grains of powder is nice if the gun will shoot accurately with it but not many do - 100 grains is adequate and you will shoot much better. Use a boat tail bullet. Try it both ways, if you can get good groups with 150 grains use that, if not 100 grains is adequate.

My range with my muzz is 200 yards or less - I know some can shoot farther but 200 is realistic with just about any modern muzz.

I have hunted this area several times. Higher can be better unless it snows 14 inches on you like it did us in 2011. The elk moved way down before the storm hit.........I normally archery hunt, but have muzzy hunted elk twice, killing big bulls each time. Used same gun, CVA Kodiak magnum, 150 grains of 777, 285 grain Barnes. Highly recommend the Barnes bullets. First bull was 126 yards, second bull about 60 yards, shot both through the boiler room, both expired quickly.

Good luck!

WP

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low

I know it is almost unheard of, but you can also kill a bull with a .54 patched round ball and 120 grains of FFg from a traditional, iron-sighted ML out to about 125 yards or so.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom