Muzzy Elk CO?

MtnHillbilly

Dumped points on Unit 49 Muzzy tag! and never hunted elk with a gun... between point creep and 2 blown shoulders I can't wait any longer.
My question is for those who have hunted in recent years what bull quality should I expect? I know its not what it used to be and I would like to get an idea of what I should or should not pass on? Im cool with anything over 300 as I've harvested about 15 bulls in 20 years and only one is close to 300 so with 8 points id like to break the barrier. then get back to my "normal" hunting. and of course if anyone wants to point in a direction to begin scouting (physically) I'm open to that? Ive got plenty of ideas and would like to avoid outfitters at all costs. thanks for any info!

Nope! been meaning to for a few years and had plans to spend a few 4 day weekends this summer but my dog got diabetes and needs 2 shots a day! Making it tough! I plan on boarding her a couple weekends though so I don’t go in totally blind. I’ve got countless hours on my maps and few choice spots to check out

There are plenty of elk, and enough bulls, just not that many 300+ bulls. A co worker of mine lives in the unit and hunted it last year. He is a trad guy and was trying to be picky, he had one encounter close enough for a shot on a 310ish bull but didn’t seal the deal, so they are around for sure

Well I’d say most drainages you poke around in will have elk in them they are easy to see this time of year so a plan of attack won’t be too hard. I’d be interested in how you do, I need to burn my points next year…

Last edited:
Well I’d say most drainages you poke around in will have elk in them they are easy to see this time of year so a plan of attack won’t be too hard. I’d be interested in how you do, I need to burn my points next year…
will let you know for sure

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom