Muzzy Hunts?

cmbbulldog

Very Active Member
Isnt today the last day of the season for muzzy hunters? Im just curious how people did. WOuld love some stories!!!

We didn't have muzzy tags but we had two hunters for an early rifle hunt in 9 we killed a 386 and a 370, saw alot bigger but everything was broke.

Don Martin, of Arizona Wildlife Outfitters, dumped a huge bull on his hunt. He sent me a text with a gross score noted of 378 1/8. He should be home in a day or two and will fill you all in on the particulars. I know he worked for that bull and had some twists and turns in the harvest. Stay tuned...

post some pics. up of those monsters chomphy. what guide service do you work for? that is awesome. congrats on two monster bulls.

I didn't know you were guiding for Tom from BMO. I guess I learn something new everyday..

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Troy actually I wasn't guiding just got asked if I wanted to video the hunt, never been to nine before and would like to draw a tag there someday.

7248unit_9_elk_hunt_007.jpg

8992unit_9_elk_hunt_020.jpg

Ken, Are those Toms scores? We both know what he does with a tape! I'm sorry man I just don't see a 370 bull, much less a 386, in any of those pics. They are very good bulls though!
Looks a little more like 345-360 to me. It would be interesting to see what they ACTUALY scored!

I watched with about 10 other guys as the bull got scored, I was wrong it was actually 383 7/8 because it had a broken third and only had 14 inch first and seconds, as for the other I didn't see it scored but it had much better fronts than the big one. I guess it doesn't really matter though as both hunters didn't care about their score or they would have shot much bigger bulls that had broken points I just thought some of the guys on this form would like to see the pics.

You're right, they are great bulls. I just know how Tom scores animals. Kinda like the Eastmans bull..HINT. You remember the ACTUAL score, right?
If they did not care about the score....then why score them?
Sorry, I just cant see it.
Congrats to the hunters and I hope you get that unit 9 tag, You will have a blast!!

Sweet bulls!! How do all you guides figure score?? Was looking at Don Martins bull & flashing back to these.....where do I miss 20"?? I am asking because I want to learn.

I am all for dumping scores....these are great, period!

Sorry Dino didn't know it was you, the way I score elk is I start by adding the lenght of each main bean and inside spread and mass, on a good bull you should be right around 200 inches, then add each of the five points per side if they average 20 inches then you have a 400 inch bull. in the case of the bull above he had 55 inch main beams, a 48 inch inside spread, and 28 inches of mass per side which adds up to 224 his points were roughly 14, 14, 14, 21, and 16 which add up to 383

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-10 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]Any other bulls out there? Chompy, Great bulls and congrats on getting hunt in one the best places on earth!

I still don't see those measurements. Tom usually takes better pics than that

Honestly Ken....

I have no idea.....when it comes to monster bulls like your two photos & Don Martins muzzy bull...too damn complicated for me. That being said, doesn't his have much bigger thirds for a lower score bull??

I just wish they would throw score out....all trigger-pullers in my book!! Good for you guys!!

Yeah Don's bull seems to have much bigger thirds, can't really tell how wide he is and the main beam lenght may be shorter, never the less Don killing that bull in 6a is a much bigger accomplishment than the bulls in 9 every knob I would climb on their were 350-370 bulls. I see why the guides that hunt 9 all the time kill such big elk it's like shooting fish in a barrel. damn I sure would like to have that archery tag in the next couple of years.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom