muzzy issue

ThunderImpulse4

i shoot 100 grain field points and i have 100 grain 3 blade muzzy broadheads. and the muzzys shoot about 5 inches lower than the field points at 20 yards. i know i am a grand shot at 20 thats a given. but i cant figure out whats going on

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-09 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]1. Your bow is not tuned. The rest is not adjusted right. Paper tune, walkback tune and/or bareshaft tune. That will get you close. Then you need to tune for broadheads. There are dozens of posts here on the subject. Try searching. Most will tell you to download and read the Easton Tuning Guide section on broadhead tuning and that is good advice.

A less likely scenario is that a cam is leaning. Verify that the string is coming of the cam straight.

2. Your form maybe an issue too. You must not torque the bow or punch the release for good broadhead flight.

3. A Muzzy is a great head when it comes to terminal performance but you may have found that it is not the most forgiving head. Rule out a poor bow tune and poor form first, then if try a different head as a last resort.

Still a well tuned bow and good shooting form should group broadheads (regardless of brand) with your fieldpoints.

well thats the thing. i just got bow tuned friday. and the guy watched me shoot maybe 100 arrows and he said i have a perfect form. i was shooting great groups out to 50 yards while shooting the 100 shots. then i get home and shoot my broadheads and this..

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-09 AT 09:52AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-09 AT 09:51?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-09 AT 09:50?AM (MST)

Start out with this. It should give you a good idea of whats going on. Its pretty simple. If your bow is tuned good it will shoot a bareshaft as good as with fletchings. The second article should help out with matching up your bh to your fp.

http://www.#####.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Bare-Shaft-Tuning.html&Itemid=70

http://www.parsonsoutdoors.com/broadhead_tuning.html

lol. you might just have to do a search for bare shaft tuning. It won't display that first word for some reason.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-09 AT 08:43AM (MST)[p]Your bow is not tuned to you.

This is a common problem. Guys take their bow to a shop and the shop "tunes" it and they think they are done. Then they screw on broadheads and have similar issues. What did the shop do to "tune" it? Did he shoot it through paper? Did he walkback or bareshaft tune it? Or did he just set factory specs and centershot and call it tuned?

All these things are just a staarting point. If you want it tuned for hunting you will need to broadhead tune.

YOU should be the one doing this. Everyone has slight differences in thier shooting form that can cause flight changes. Having someone else tune your bow is not wise IMO as you may have different results.

Again, read the Easton Tuning Guide. See the part about broadhead tuning and get to work. The above article on the subject is a good one too.

Have you tried shooting another broadhead to see if that comes up with the same result? I shoot the Wac Em Triton XL at 100 grains and it flies real similar to my field tips. I would maybe toss another cutter on the end of one of your arrows and see what the outcome is.

I had some problems when I shot Muzzy's. I was able to shoot good groups at 20 - 30 yards and then was way off at 40 - 60 yards. I would correct it so I was on at 40 - 60 but was off at the close range. I could never get them to tune properly (even with the help of a couple of friends) so I finally changed to the Shuttle T's and have been able to shoot great groups out to 70 and 80 yards. You may want to try a different broadhead.

Bigpig good knowledge. I think there are many guys that have got into archery and really don't know how to properly tune their bows to the fullest extent possible. Myself included.

JR

Move your nocking point down a bit, It should get both the field points and broadheads flying together. I just was helping a neighbor with the same problem. After moving his nocking point down they flew the same. Look at the above mentioned tuning guides to learn how to Broadhead tune. Just because your bow is paper tuned doesn;t always mean that broadheads will fly the same. You bow needs to be tuned to shot broadheads as well.

Mark

I also have trouble with muzzys shooting straight.
G5 montec and strikers are the way to go.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-09 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]I had the same problem 2 years ago, but unlike you when I got my bow tuned my muzzy's shot exactly like my field points, exactly.
i don't know what to tell you, maybe there was other out side forces in play like wind, temp. ect.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-09 AT 10:38PM (MST)[p]try moving rest up a little at a time and then fine tune with sight... my 100 grain muzzy shoot right on with my field points just had some minor adjustments.

your nock point is to high you need to lower it about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch that will help tons try it and see if it works

I wouldn't touch a thing on your bow until you do a couple of things.
1--Spin test every arrow to be sure that your inserts are true with your shaft and your broadhead ferules are straight.

If everything checks out;

2--Try another fixed blade head--one that says "spin tested" on the factory package, and then spin test them on your arrows anyway.

I bought half a grocery cart full of 3 blade 100 grain Muzzys on clearance once, thinking I had broadheads for life. Nope!

My bow is perfectly paper and bare shaft tuned, and even indoors at 20 yards with a professional watching my form and release I couldn't get consistent groups until I sorted out the best broadheads from each package to make the number of arrows I wanted. And then I still had to set my sights for the broadheads because my groups were 4 inches low and left of my field points.

I liked Muzzy's a lot, and still do if you're willing to do the above. I finally switched and it's nice to screw a head on, spin it, and know that if I do my part it will cut fletchings off my field point arrows out to 50+ yards if I shoot them out of order.

I checked my three blade muzzy's (again) last night and they shot true just like my field tips. I switched to Blazer vanes this year and they seem to stablize the arrow very well. I shoot 70lbs with Hoyt Razortech and a drop zone rest.

had the same problem three different years. One time it was the flight of the arrow vs. the broadhead flight, second time I grabbed the wrong size of field tips (I'm not saying your as dumb as I am, but things do happen even when you are certain) Third Time my arrow shafts were to short for my broadheads- so when I had field tips on the length was perfect but when I put my broadhead on the blades barely touched my rest.
I now shoot Gold Tip XT's with WASP HAMMER SST's
Hope this helps good luck and God Bless!!!

****17MORE DAYS TILL OPENER****

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom