Muzzy Question

OldJake

What are the laws about having two muzzleloaders on a hunt? Is it ok to have 2 in the truck? Is it ok to carry 2 in the field?

I don't believe there are any. The problem and challenge will be proving the person carrying the 2nd weapon isn't "hunting".

In the truck, you're not hunting or shouldn't be. You can have all the legal weapons you want. As a citizen, you have every right to drive down the roads in our NF with a weapon in the vehicle, with no hunting license, even when there is an open season. If stopped, one of the first questions a game cop will ask is if "you are hunting". An admission opens up the flood gates.

The other person packing the backup may want a small game license just to keep things simple should you make contact with a Gamey. You do however, again, have the right to walk our forests with a weapon for personal protection or for whatever reason you choose. Again, the challenge will be attempting to prove the guy next to you isn't hunting, when you are. That small game license will make things a lot easier.

State Game laws don't trump Federal laws and our Constitutional Rights. They tried that here in Oregon and lost, having to re write a few of the game laws, specific to carrying weapons in the field, "while hunting".

For concise legal advise I would contact the lawyer of your choice, I would not be asking a game cop. He may tell you under what circumstances he would write but whether a conviction would stick, I would be asking the lawyer.

That is a good question....I was wondering the same but in a diffrent way.
I was wondering, since my boy has a rifle tag for bull elk, he will be with a rifle but he really wants to shot his first bull with a muzzleloader. Therefore, I was wondering if it is legal to carry his rifle and a muzzleloader in case we might have the opportunity to shoot the bull with a muzzleloader.

Thanks, Lionking
47d81ada2754674f.jpg

Ive carried 3 at a time when I've gone into unit 15. I just put a cushion between the two on slings that I criss cross over my back and I carry the third. I've actually been quite successful doing this as well. However this isn't a method for your average hunter.

Once I had six of them in the truck,I came around a turn and there stood the biggest buck I had ever seen.I Got my most trusty one ready first and fired.NOTHING.Within 10 seconds I had
fired 3 more.NOTHING.

Up runs two guys in blue uniforms,Who I thought were trying to kill my 260 incher.So I fired my last two only to have the deer still standing there.

To my suprise it was the fish cops,They tried to charge me with hunting with a fully auto centerfire.But once they saw all six
frontloaders sitting there charges were reduced.

GOOD GAWD.. please dont tell me the utards are migrating south.

This was addressed at a Valle Caldera pre hunt meeting one time.

The G&F rep said that there are no rules against a 2nd ML being carried. Just like the Alamo.

Crazymaez, that was pretty funny.

I intend on carrying an extra one on my pack for my gf's elk hunt. Easier for me to give her the gun and say shoot again than reload. Of course, I've got a bear and lion tag in my pocket, so I'm not a hunter without a tag walking around.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom