muzzy? What to do

HuntinFoo

I shot 90,95,100,105,110,115,120 grains of powder and the 110 is giving me the best group. But I am finding unburned powder when I clean my breech. After about 20 shots my breech is so bad that my groups go bad. So what should I do do I back off on my grains, or just make sure I clean the breech after every 15 or so shots?

I would stick with what shoots best, I doubt you will be shooting 15 shots on the hunt, at least I hope not.

What rifle are you using and what kind of powder. Might be worth it to find a different load that you can get good groups with less powder or try a different powder.

I have an omega, and have tried 777, BH209 and Jim Shockys, and the Shockys is the one that gives me the best group.

My Encore and my Brother's Omega both shoot head and shoulders better with good 'ol Pyrodex. Don't overlook it. It doesn't get the press of all those other fancy powders, but it works best for me, and the difference is big time. With all else the same my 100 yd. 3 shot group with Pyrodex averages about 2" or a little less. Swith to 777 and it spreads out to at least 5-6".

Just some food for thought.

Oh, I run Powerbelts. 348 AT.

I'm guessing you're using an FF size powder. You might try a FFF like Pyrodex P, or FFF T7. Back off the load size though, it will burn hotter and faster. Again start out at about 70 grains and work up.

In my triumph bh209 works great and burns much cleaner than most powders out there. I get 1.5" groups at 100 yards with it and barnes 245g spitfires.

I agree, try fff. Also play with different primers. You might try switching to a hotter primer if you aren't getting a complete burn. Do you have a chrono? That will tell you a lot. If you are getting good accuracy, what does it matter if you still have a little unburned powder?

It can take a lot of time to find the perfect load for a muzzy. There are many variables and it takes time to clean and shoot. But if you put in the effort you will find the combination that works for your gun, they are all different. What works in one gun doesn't always work in another.

IMO, if you are getting 20 accurate shots before your gun is so dirty the accuracy falls off, consider yourself lucky! I was always taught to at least swab my barrel every 3 shots or so and completely tear it down and thoroughly clean it after 10 shots. That black powder is VERY nasty on your gun. I shoot a knight with 110 grains of pyrodex pellets and a barnes saboted 300 grain X bullet, and I have to clean it very frequently to keep it at 3" or less at 100 yards.

I got some new primers, so I will try them and see what they do. I might even back off 5 grains, because the 110 group was just slightly better than the 105. But if I have too clean after every 15 shots that is fine, I was just surprised that my best group was leaving unburned powder.

I also think I will switch to FFF after this bottle of FF is gone, Do you guys think that is going to change my groups and sighting alot. I think I will have everything zeroed in when this bottle is gone but then will be in new bottle for the hunt. I will definitely go shot it before I hunt with it but wondered how much it will change. Should I just hold off till I get the FFF or should I sight it in with the FF. Thanks for all you responses so far they have been very helpful.

It will change it, but you should find a load that works. The FFF will burn about 10% hotter, so my guess is you'll find a good load around 90-95 grains. Just a guess though.

i swab after every shot. what that does it make everyshot like it was the first in a clean barrel. and virtually it give me amazing groups

I do the same as Thunder Impulse. I swab the barrel thoroughly after every shot of 777 with just a patch soaked with spit. I put the patch in my mouth and just get it a little damp. Then I run it down the barrel 5 full times (up and down) then I switch it the other side of the patch and do the exact same thing.

Yesterday, I outshot guys with highpowered rifles and scopes with my Peepsighted Knight Wolverine 209. I love this gun. I shoot 100 grains with a Barnes 285 Spitfire MZ

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom