My '05 Utah muley in the field....

Foreman4x4

Very Active Member
Here's a picture of my '05 Utah muley in the field. Shot him with my Pre-64 Model 70 .300 H&H and 180gr Silvertip from the '50's....

43716b4e38442461.jpg

Good lookin buck, did you mean that the bullet you shot that deer with was an old bullet from the 1950's? what part of the state did you hunt.?That is cool, keep up the good shooting, that bullet has been waiting a long time for the right deer. Thanks for sharing the pic. Headbones.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-05 AT 12:25PM (MST)[p]Headbones, yep, the bullets were bought the same time as the rifle, which was made in 1957. My father-in-law got it for a high school graduation present and fired a total of four rounds out of it. It was kept locked up and never fired again until he gave it to me last year along with the remaining 16 rounds out of the original box of 20.

Factory .300H&H rounds are pretty tame by today's standards, but I simply haven't gotten around to reloading for this rifle yet, so I shot what I had. The .300H&H really shines with handloads, so it's on my short list of things to do....

I hunted the Central Region....

Nice one for public ground. Good to hear you stuck with it after the opener and found him. 300 H&H would be a neat nostalgic caliber to own, I am jealous :)

BTW Your gotee makes you look way different... I didnt recognize you at first in the pict LOL

-DallanC

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-05 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the comments guys. I was glad to get him, especially given the fact I didn't see a buck opening day.

When my Father-in-law gave me that rifle, the only condition he laid down was that I'd promise to use it...I was more than happy to oblige! Not many of the Pre-64 Model 70's around in .300H&H. A lot of guys who had them punched 'em out to .300 Weatherby, which is a great cartridge, but IMHO, it doesn't have the nostalgia of Holland's original Super .30. I have dies and a some new brass stockpiled, but I just haven't made time to load for it. I hear the .300H&H really comes to life with handloads.

Dallan,

The goatee hides some of the ugly... :) I guess the last time I saw you in person was when I bought that wheeler trailer from you a few years back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom