My 2011 Unit 52 Antelope

passthrough

Here are some pics of my buck from the muzzy hunt in 52. What a great hunt, beautiful country, some big goats, and great friends. We saw some really good bucks that just stayed out of range. I passed 10 bucks on saturday and some this morning. As soon as I saw my buck I knew I wanted to try for him. My first shot was at 317, hit a low and a hair back, lucky for me it opened him up like a zipper, so he didn't get too far. Snuck up and put him down at 300, blew out the off side shoulder. Look like all the hours behinfd the gun are paying off. Couldn't think of a better way to start the hunting season.
4677img_3353b.jpg

1679img_3356b.jpg

9588img_3359b.jpg

9693img_3362b.jpg

1007img_3366b.jpg

4398img_3368b.jpg

Special thanks to Elkcrazy and Elksniper for all the info, and PJ for all the help, and sticking it out while we were baking in the sun.

WOW!!! NICE buck!!

congrats to u guys!!! so cool of Elkcrazy and Elksniper to give u some info!! LOVE unit 52!!!!

cant wait to go up there coming October!!

vinihunt

Dang thats a good goat. Looks like he may be that magical 16".

Thats a pretty good reach with a ML. What gun and load?

We hunted 52 back when it was open sites only then a couple times after they allowed scopes.We killed 2 over 17 there.Looks like it's still good

Omega, 90 grains of Blackhorn 209, Barnes T-EZ 250, Federal 209A. Shoots sub moa. Was shooting about a 4-6 inch group at 300.

>Omega, 90 grains of Blackhorn 209,
>Barnes T-EZ 250, Federal 209A.
> Shoots sub moa.
>Was shooting about a 4-6
>inch group at 300.

Got 2 omegas. Zach has a unit 30 youth ML tag in Nov. I need to try those loads in them. Never tried the blackhorn. heard it makes a difference.

Very nice goat! Congratulations!

I do have to point out though, technically you are in Unit 50 with the East boundary of 52 behind you in the distance.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-11 AT 11:26PM (MST)[p]Wes,

Again, great buck. Elksniper, Saint, my bro-inlaw, and I are happy for you. Glad to have been able to help out. It was cool to see the action unfold from a far through the spotter. Way to close the deal. Your time behing that Omega paid off big time.

It was a pleasure to share time in the field with you guys on this challenging
hunt. Until next time... Keep shooting straight my friend.

Wow great buck! I know this has probably been washed out on. MM before but the proclamation states that Blackhorn 209 is illegal. Can someone clarify this? The reason I ask is I have a muzzleloader tag and would like to use this powder.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-11 AT 00:08AM (MST)[p]Black Horn 209 is legal in the State NM. Due to some erroneous
data and conclusions, the NMGF printed all the hard copies of the rules and info. booklets that indicated that BH 209 was illegal. After obtaining better information, the NMGF changed their ruling on BH 209 and made the correction in the e-copy of the rules and info. booklet on their website. Check it out. Glad they did. BH 209 is good stuff.

As for the technical advise offered that Passthrough was hunting in 50...that would be correct. Just a year ago, GMU 50 was in antelope Unit 52. Not until this year did the unit change to antelope unit 50/52. For most of the veteran antelope muzzleloader hunters, this hunt will most likely be mentioned as the " Unit 52 Muzzleloader Antelope Hunt".

passthrough....Congratulations on a Great Buck!! Love the forward sweep!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Congrates on a really nice goat. I had seen him a couple times this year and got some great pics of him. You also got to spend some time with one of the greatest antelope minds of this century. A wonderful guy and a great dad. Mr Kiko Cortez

Wes....

It was real nice to meet all you guys. Glad you were able to connect on a real nice buck. And heck of a shot man. Your buck has to be one of the biggest bucks I saw taken this weekend. Not too too sure but that buck might have been with the same group that I shot mine out of. Or one that looked liked him anyway. Never was able to get a shot at him because he was just under a little hill and only saw his head so I settled for second best. It happened fast. That bigger buck got away. He was a Nice buck. About an 80in buck. Just like yours. Ya that was funny we saw your pics on here and said "Hey that buck looks familiar ". Anyway Im glad you got him or one like him. It was a hard hunt to get my dad his buck. No real super toads out there this year. The biggest buck I saw all weekend long was about 82-83in buck. And we were pretty much going everywhere where it was public for my dad. Again congrats on a real nice buck.

Hope to see you guys out on that hunt in the future.

ElkSniper

Congrats....My boys are goin in less than 2 weeks. Im more excited than they are. Send some of that luck this way. LOL

Wes
Nice Goat!!
I watched the whole harvest take place from a long ways away through the spotting scope. Glad you were able to catch up with him and finish him off. I am pretty sure we saw that same buck on Saturday morning. My son took a picture of him as he and two other bucks were looking for a place to cross the fenceline we were sitting. It is hard to tell, but he is the left buck in the photo below.

8926img_0779.jpg

My son and I both used the Barnes TMZ 250 grain bullets (almost identical to the EZ's). They are great bullets and very accurate. We were shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yards with them. We found my sons bullet from his quartering away shot. It was lodged just under the skin of the far shoulder and was a picture perfect flower petal expansion with 100% weight retainage.

I will post our pics under a new thread. I don't want to highjack on yours.

Once again, congratulations.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom