My 2014 Season Pics / Video "I Live For This"

BBHunter6

I am just now getting around to posting how my 2014 hunts went. I first off want to say thank you to the guys that gave me advice on this forum regarding my Wyoming elk hunt, and my Colorado deer hunt. I know sometimes we ask for advice or tips for a unit and then we forget to post how the hunt went. So I apologize for the late posts. But thank you once again.

April: My wife and I both had a couple pts and drew out for Utah turkey tags. After a few days of Hunting, and me being too impatient for the big Toms, we both were lucky enough to harvest a bird.

Kate's turkey
1036kates_turkey.jpg

My Turkey
4791my_turkey.jpg

May: My wife and my mother both harvested Russian Boars in Idaho. It was both of their first archery kills. My wife's favorite hunt she says.

4461img_4424.jpg

Mom & Dad
8650mom_boar.jpg

Later that month I returned to Idaho solo to hunt bears over bait. The first trip out was unsuccessful. I returned the next week, and as I was packing in more bait, I had my rifle strapped on my back.. well I walked within 40 yards of 4 bears already on my bait that I had put out the week before. I watched them for about 5 minutes, but I figured I would back out and sit in my tree stand the next morning because I really wanted to harvest one with archery equipment. (dumb decision.) Well of course after sitting the stand for 2 days straight, not a single bear showed up. That fall I returned with my dad, I had a shot with my rifle at a good sized boar, but just missed him as I was full of bear fever.

I'm not much of a tree stand hunter.
7957dsc00040.jpg

August: Me, my dad, and My brother-in-law backpacked into the high country here in Utah. We made a lot of scouting trips and packed in water a few weeks before the hunt. After spotting some bedded bucks, My brother-in-law was able to get within range and harvest his first high country muley on opening weekend. He was beyond excited!! He made a great shot, and the buck was down within seconds.

1307dsc00082.jpg

September: My Wyoming Elk hunt. My dad was able to call in a few good bulls, but just none quite big enough. I came to full draw on a 330+ bull twice, but never could get a clear shot. After 3 days of hunting, the herd bulls would bugle, but would not leave the cows. So I took off my shoes and put on my wool socks and did it "muley style". I was able to sneak into 35 yards of the herd of 15 cows as the wind was perfect. The herd bull then made his way into a clear shooting lane at 55 yards. As he was in mid bugle I drew my bow back, and the bull looked at me and stopped mid bugle. My arrow flew true as I watched my entire arrows sink inside him behind his shoulder. He ran 80 yards and expired quickly. I couldn't be happier with him! My dad could hear my reaction from across the canyon, and he knew I had stuck him.
(FYI - Shooting 380gr arrow @ 293 fps tipped with a g5 g3 mechanical broadhead)

Me and my dad
7478my_elk.jpg

After an all nighter, and 3 trips we were able to pack him out!
7695my_elk_packout.jpg

October: My Colorado Deer hunt. I probably pulled the trigger too soon, but either way I was very happy with the buck. We backpacked into the high country. On opening morning we saw a few smaller bucks, and then we found this buck. His inline was too tempting, and I love character. At 310 yds my bullet found its mark, but unfortunately my buck tumbled 100 yards down off the cliffs and busted his entire right antler off near the base, as well as his g3. After an hour of searching, we found all the pieces and was able to hold it together to get a picture.

29img_5041.jpg

My cousin was also able to make the trip with me. Thanks buddy!
521920141018_113017.jpg

November: After many many missed opportunities on great bucks, I could no longer keep my finger off the trigger as School and work was kicking my butt. So I was finally able to tag out on my Utah archery buck. He definitely isn't the biggest deer out there, but he means so much to me because of all the time spent in the mountains this year.

90262014110795100110.jpg

After all other hunts were over, and all was said and done, I was lucky enough to spend 52 days in the field, hiking just over 400 miles, and right about 100,000 ft in elevation gained. My mornings consisted of me hiking into the high country before light, hunting for about an hour, then running (literally) back down to my truck to make it to work on time. I feel so blessed to have an understanding wife that allows me to spend so much time in the outdoors. Huge thanks to all those on here for the advice. I hope you all have a great year up ahead, and good luck in the draws this year!

Here is a short film I made of my 2014 season. If you're bored and have a couple minutes, feel free to Search it on YouTube: "I Live For This - High Country Hunting" Or watch below.

Justin Finch
Instagram: [https://instagram.com/finchoutdoors/]
Facebook: [https://www.facebook.com/finchoutdoors?_rdr]

Really nice season report!! Congrats!!

Hogs in Idaho? who knew! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I loved the video. I ran into you on the Wasatch late in the season on a snowy morning when you and your buddy ran into a bull moose. Best of luck to you this year.

Hawkeye

"The professional market hunter . . .
and the rich people who are content to
buy what they have not the skill to get
by their own exertions - these are the
men who are the real enemies of game."
Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks man, I remember running into you up there. Good luck to you too this year. Maybe we'll see each other on top of the mountain again!

I Live For This

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom