My boys first buck

6x7

Very Active Member
Last year we did a little back packing in just a mile off the roads saw a few bucks during the archery season but I could never get him close to the 20 yard range i wanted for him with his bow, saw a few local bucks driving roads down low but same results or they were close enough but with him being 12 and no experience they would move off before he was even ready with the bow.Come rifle season up high we saw a few does and at mid rang after the big snow storm we tried sitting in a blind on a migration trail saw hundred doe over a few days with a couple spikes I found it to be very hard to keep a 12 year old in a blind all day that has more energy then a power plant,Then it happened all most the last week of the season we found a small three point in some timber he tried getting it with his bow but they moved off again ,so I said grab the gun and we will get this one for sure, 10 minuets later the does he was with started crossing a logging skid trail 40 yards from us then the buck came through and stopped broad side right in the trail, he pulled my rifle up took a second and fired I watched the buck run off un touched, my rifle was way to heavy for him with his little stick arms and in our hurry to go after the deer I didn't grab the shooting sticks, end of his first season.
This year he actually got a twenty yard shot off with the bow but missed we never hit the high country during archery lots of deer down low and mid range but no buck down.Now come rifle season we have not Realy got out much ,evening huts early morning trips just for a few hours a day, on our last trip out we drive around a logging road and there's two forks standing in an old landing in waist high grass horns barley above the ears I ask him if he wants one of them he said sure but he wasn't really excited I said its up to you they are small and not much meat on there bones would you want that to be your first buck! he said let them go so we drove off, as we left I told him that that doing something like that will bring him good karma, as we still had one back country hunt and season that runs till nov this season.
Now this story is coming to its end with the back country hunt high in the sierras a one hour drive from home another hour of dirt road we hit the parking spot my boy asks my brother where we are going from here and he points two hills over and says around the back side.Two hours later we are pitching the tent and taking a break filtering water and refueling. It's about 4 pm my bro says well let's go over this first ridge and take a look for the evening,no packs no water no food or knives,kinda nice not hauling weight around ,300 yard through the woods were on the ridge back glassing over and side hill lots of timber hard to get a good look from our angle so we just start working our way up ,we get 200 more yards and I find two bucks a mile away ,were not worried about racks as long as their legal hes shooting up here,I figured we would let them walk and come back in the am but my bro wanted to go now so I said you better hurry the sun was going down fast I didn't think they would make it in time.
They took off fast straight up hill and around the back side I stayed and kept a eye one the bucks I figured I would see them eventually on the ridge back sneaking up but I never did,then with just 15 minuets left of shoot time left I hear a shot I see one of the bucks take off then shot 2 then the other buck walks slowly out of where he was bedded ,shot 3 he slowly walks again into the next patch of timber and never comes out,30 seconds later I hear a war cry echoing through the canyon.
6841image.jpg

My boys first buck a beautiful 4x4 karma strikes back ,I need to say thanks to my brother for taking us to this spot and helping out.

Way Nice, one heck of a Calif Buck!

Congrats to the hunting party!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Congrats to your son for getting it done. A bit confused though... Not exactly what would consider doing. I would teach him always take some water..and a knife for field dressing that nice buck ...as well as safety issues...some first aid supplies etc. how did you field dress that deer at the kill sight if as said in you writings you took nothing...did you drag it out whole from three miles away from your camp?
Just curious.

))))------->

My boy did have a water bottle he left it in the rocks he shot from and forgot it as they hiked down to the timber patch,after they to a pic at the kill site they hiked back to camp ,we ate dinner put on the head lamps, packs,knifes grabbed water and hiked back caped and quartered, we were back and in the sack by 11:30 pm ,moon was so full it was great we only used the head lights occasionally and for the quartering.Now as for my safety kit guilty as sin never had one never will just some duct tape for blisters and aspirin to hide the pain.

Glad you guys were able to get a knife and some gear to help retrieve your boys deer. Sounds like a fun hunt with good results for your son. Lasting memories for sure.

I made the comment because when one leaves camp with almost nothing gear wise...seems something like your experience always happens...Some buck is spotted far from where you thought you would be. Then the stalk is on and one winds up three miles away in the dark, no flashlight, water, knife with a deer down. Always good to have some type of first aid kit you set up yourself. A few band aids for the little stuff but some serious four inch bandage compresses, tape for the big wounds like when you get cut bad when gutting the game and "quick Clot" for major bleeds..Light won't weigh down your pack. Where we hunt deep in the backcountry no one to help us but us ....with what we have in our packs.

Great looking Buck your son's smile says it all.

))))------->

There is nothing to compare for a father to be with his son for the childs first buck!
Congrats 6x7, to you and your son.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom