My first bird

elkmuzzleloader

Well I finally did it after 4 different hunts. I went back home to unit 34 on Wednesday the 21 to hunt the elusive turkey. I hunted that night and only found a dead turkey two owls that were screaming their head off at me and two, year old elk sheds. Hunted in the rain and then snow on Thursday only to get great exercise. Friday I went to the low country and managed to call a single hen in and torment her for 10 min since she could not find me. Left when the snow became unberable, did not want to get stuck in the mud. Went to a orchard to look for some sheds, where I had seen some elk on Wed. night. I got 100 yards from the truck and heard some gobbling the first I had heard during the hunt. Ran back to the truck and gathered up my hunting supplies and found the bird shortly, however he was in the middle of a open field and could not get as close as I needed to be. Let two shots fly and then watched him and 6-8 hens fly away. Went back to the high country Sat. morning and walked up on a flock of approx. 50 turkeys. Was finally able to close the deal. I got my first tom. 2 years old, 8 3/4"beard and 7/8" spurs. I am trying the fan taxidermy my self also.
Hope the bloody pic does not offend anyone but hit the bird in the neck.
1213turkey_hunt__20100002.jpg

2889turkey_hunt__20100003.jpg

2352turkey_hunt__20100004.jpg

358turkey_hunt__20100005.jpg

Congratulations on a great bird AND a nice set of sheds. I'd say you've had a pretty successful spring and one that many of us are jealous of. No worries about the picture either, looks like a great shot to me! Thanks for sharing.
-Cody

Nice bird and sheds Seth. Haven't connected this year and am having no luck. My usual honeyhole has no sign and been hitting it hard across Northern NM. Just not talking for me I guess. I here the spot to be is down south where you busted that thunder chicken! Nice dude
Habish

Congrats on a great hunt..That top pic in the snow is pretty cool. People think of spring turkey hunts in a whole different light, but NM offers these hunts and the weather can just change and put a wild twist during the spring hunt. Again congrats on a real nice bird and thanks for the great pics...

Congrats on a great spring man, great job getting your first tom! nice sheds too.

Congrats on a good hunt, finding some sheds is a good way to start your shed hunting season.
With all that snow you guys need snow Camo LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Great! Congrats on your 1st bird!! Looks real funny seeing spring hunting in the snow LOL!! Nice Sheds!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom