my first turkey butchered

bassinhunter

I had an opportunity to hunt turkey for the first time out in Kansas, with a buddy that had moved there from nm. It was a great hunt and I shot my first turkey. I took my bird to get a mount done by a taxidermist that will for now remain anonymous. I gave him a picture of how I wanted my bird to look exactly. Heres the pic I gave him.

5100file:___mnt_sdcard_download_img_1746.jpg

Anyway after a lot of anxious waiting I get a call that my beautiful turkey was done and ready to be shipped. Actually about 3 calls because I was out of cell range on an elk hunt. I called back as soon as possible and the taxidermist told me my bird was done and could I sent payment. I agreed to send payment but then he told me he "liked the way my bird looked with the fan better even though it wasn't my fan" my first though was where the hell is my fan but I remained calm and explained the pic that I sent was supposed to have the fan in it. I told him I'd send another pic of how its supposed to look and asked if he'd send pics of the mount. He agreed and after a few emails I finally got these pics.

2702100_2263.jpg

7177100_2262.jpg

It looks like a 3rd grader tried to mount this thing and I'm pretty disappointed. I put 100 down as a deposit and I would just like to get some opinions on how I should handle the situation. What would u all do? I'm disappointed that my first bird is such a hack job and there's no way I'm gonna pay 400 for this. Just want some opinions. I'm pretty upset

Thanks,

Rob

I don't even think it's the same bird. Be very careful who you have mount turkey, lots of taxidermy screw them up. I would have a long talk with him

Sorry man! That sucks a big one. I suppose if it were me, I'd talk to him and tell him how upset I really am and remind him that word of mouth spreads quickly in the hunting community and that I wanted my 100.00 bones back and call it good (yes, that means writing off my mount).

I have a decoy made of polyurethane that looks better than what that jack-wagon did to your gobbler!! My first turkey will go to this guy, no matter what it costs to freeze and ship him there!

Good Luck bud....sorry again!

http://www.utahbirdtaxidermy.com/

Not the same bird, there is no white around the smaller tail feathers in your mount, your picture has white, the mount is solid brown.

Damn guys I'm so upset. I could care less about the money I just wanted a good mount. I think this guy should be lucky to just be giving me back my 100 dollars. Fact is he took away a memory I'll never get back. I have lots of "1st" animals mounted and to be honest I remember the little things about each trip. Mostly the people I spent enjoying the hunt with. This turkey was taken with one of the best people I know, and I'm upset it won't be on the wall to remember forever. I've emailed the taxidermist and asked him to call me because I'm dissatisfied....haven't heard back yet, but I'll be posting my results. I'll also be posting his information just so nobody has the same experience I've had.

I don't see what's wrong with it....

Look at that fine craftsmanship... any kindergartner would be proud to call that his first mount attempt!

I would not pay him anymore money for it until the two of you come to terms. Tell him it is not what you asked for and you need to renegotiate the price. Let him/her know you're disappointed since the tail fan is not yours, the head is not shaped the way you wanted it and the color pattern doesn't look natural. Lastly emphasize he failed to capture your life long memory as a skilled taxidermist should. The shortcomings should be reflected in a price reduction. Sorry it went bad for you!

I had a similar experience with a taxidermist. It was my wifes first antelope and a California one at that. Took it to the taxidermist and showed a picture of how we wanted it mounted, it was supposed to be ready for Christmas. Three months after Christmas we were told it was ready. We went to pick it up as excited as a fat kid going to a candy store. Well walked into the store and he showed use the mount, I laughed and said your kidding right. My wife's antelope was a good respectable buck the thing he showed use was a little peace of sh@@ with 10" horns with her cape on it. WTF. He preceded to argue with us that is was defiantly hers, that is until I showed him a picture of it. We found out that he put her antelopes horns on another guys mount, which he had had for over 3 months now, go figure. He goes and get the other mount and we go down to pick it up. Her horns with a piece of crap cap that is missing tons of hair. He said it was her cap no doubt until again we show him the picture. I took the mount and demanded our deposit back and left, I was not going to pay a dime for such a screw up.

It's not even the same subspecies. He mounted up an eastern and someone else is getting your Rio. What a nimrod

That sucks! Sorry man! Nothing like having a picture in your mind and then getting that.

Give it away as a white Elephant gift this Christmas, then go hunt again.

I would not pay him a nickel.

When you have a mount in mind, be sure you pick a taxidermist that is capable of pulling off your vision.

My suggestion - take it to someone with experience mounting turkeys. Ask them if they can remove the head from your mount and substitute one that looks more realistic, like the one in your first pic. I suspect it can be vastly improved. Its worth a few phone calls to get you the trophy you are wanting.

Well I promised the taxidermist that did my mount that I'd let everyone know who's handy work it was. Dan snowbarger with snowbarger specialty taxidermy in olathe kansas , specialized in the butchering of my bird. Don't use him unless you like his work.

Rob

id also use it as a decoy and not pay him a cent more.

Ive been screwed twice by two different taxidermists. Once by Forest Atkins from Preston Idaho and once by a guy back east. Forest jacked my deer so bad ill never recommend him to anyone again. If I new the guys who screwed me on my gar id post his name.

If you want to know who does some great work check out tristate's work right here on MM. He captured the look on my coyote face perfectly right before I shot him.
5690badly-stuffed-animals-1.jpg

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

Oh that sucks big time. The mount and getting hosed by the taxidermy dude. That coyote pic was icing on the cake though LOL!
Cant stop laughing after seeing that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom