My Halloween buck

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
Out of our family I was the only one that drew a deer tag. In this unit there is a decent amount of deer but the bucks are hard to come by. We were scouting this area out back in Aug and spotted a real nice tall buck in a hard to reach area. He had to be pushing 170 inches with one crab claw bottom fork. Well they ended up killing him on the first hunt, but that's the way it goes on public land.

The first day we found our selves in an area where we knew held a lot of deer. We walked and walked for about 4-5 miles in and saw a good amount of does. NO BUCKS ANYWHERE!!! While walking back about 1 mile from the truck we spot another group of deer and this time there was a buck. It was a small 2x3. Pretty much a fork with a crab claw 3 on the left horn. I passed him up to search for a bigger one.

That evening we headed toward another area where the deer have been known to be in the past. There were people everywhere there. It seemed that all of the 100 tag holders were in that area. We had a change of plans at the last minute and hunted elsewhere. Again, we again saw lots of deer but still no bucks.

The next morning we decided to hunt a little lower in elevation away from the crowds to see if the deer have started to migrate. Down low we didn't see but one lone little fork buck that we barley got a look at. We hunted hard the rest of the day. Seeing nothing but does. Where are the bucks?

Monday was the last day we had to be out there. We decided to go back to where we saw that little 2x3 on Saturday. Not with intentions of killing him but because we saw the most deer there and the least amount of people. But if that little 2x3 showed himself again I was going to take him. Sure enough he showed himself. You know that rule that people always say ?Don?t pass something up on the first day that you will be happy with on the last day? Ya?.. that rule don't apply to me too good. Made a great shot at 286 yards at an uphill quartering shot.

It was a very fun hunt. Saw tons of deer a day. Hunted real hard for a good buck but we could not find one. Even though my buck was a little guy I'm happy and he will make a great 3rd mule deer for me.

Some pics of the hunt
Few does
53102011_kiko_jr_deer_002.jpg

78222011_kiko_jr_deer_006.jpg

Looking for the deer
12012011_kiko_jr_deer_004.jpg

30122011_kiko_jr_deer_008.jpg

29892011_kiko_jr_deer_009.jpg

Beautiful country
5492011_kiko_jr_deer_010.jpg

22702011_kiko_jr_deer_011.jpg

Here he is
44142011_kiko_jr_deer_014.jpg

39622011_kiko_jr_deer_027.jpg

34592011_kiko_jr_deer_040.jpg

63852011_kiko_jr_deer_037.jpg

82632011_kiko_jr_deer_044.jpg

Special thanks goes out to My Uncle Brian (hunter3380) for coming along with us and my Dad (crazyelk) for taking my little bro and me out.

Kiko, Great write up. Couldn't have said it better myself. Good times and beautiful country. Remember the Kill is just the bonus. Enjoying Gods Country & spending quality time with friends & family is what it's all about. Job well Done & he will eat better than a bigger/older buck anyday. Let's go Xmas tree hunting this weekend.

Great pics and write up. Looks like you made a good shot 2. Nice job scoring on a buck in a tough year.

ElkSniper...Once again a sucsessful hunt and great story and pics!! Congratulations!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Nice freezer buck and your Uncle is right he will eat good this winter. The hunt with family and friends is the best part of any hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I am very proud of you Kiko. You are mature as true Sportsman and a young man way beyond your years. Good write up too!Just the way it happened.

Your proud dad (Crazyelk)

Thanks guys! I have had such a great year. The best year to date. I went 4/4 100% Success on Turkey, Antelope, Elk, and Mule Deer. It has just been a great year.

We went out for my Tio Ray's and my Aunt's cow hunt in 52 last weekend (ended today) and it was a mess. HUNTERS EVERYWHERE!!!! To make a long and difficult story short we were unsuccessful due to other hunters. (NO ETHICS) Any up coming cow hunts that you guys have in 52, I strongly recommend wearing blaze orange. STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT!!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom