My IN deer season...

Buckfever34

Deer season officially wrapped up a couple weeks ago here in IN. I had a lot of fun this year chasing God's critters. Season started for me out in Utah on September 1 on a mule deer hunt and then season here kicked off with youth season being the last weekend in September. Late archery just wrapped up here on January 7th. We always make sure we make it out on opening day and last day (with many days in between). This allows nice bookends to the hunting year.

Indiana let’s youth hunters get out the weekend before the regular archery opener. We had a whole lot of fun and saw many deer, but nothing my son wanted to shoot. It made me proud that he is so mature about it all.

His rifle is a suppressed 6.5 Grendel. He shoots Hornady SSTs.

Weather was still pretty hot, so deer only moved for about 30 minutes at first and last light. We did have fun catching a few channel cats down at the farm during the midday break.

More to come...

youth season.jpg
youth season2.jpg
youth season3.jpg
youth season4.jpg
youth season 5.jpg

To back up a little bit, for my family and many close friends, deer season actually starts when season ends. We spend some time supplementing nutrition in the off season, look for a few sheds, and then spend the spring and summer doing mowing and maintenance. In the late summer/early fall, we start putting in food plots. This is one of my favorite times of the year and it teaches the kids the importance of conservation. We do some taking, but spend a lot of time and resources on giving back. My son is 8 years old and he is a great helper through it all.

My main farm is nearly 500 acres setup to be a whitetail heaven. The goal is to make it good enough that deer don’t feel like leaving. It’s mixed river bottoms/hardwoods and CRP/wetlands/agriculture. It does flood at different times on some years—more about that later. It’s an ever-evolving work in progress. I love the challenge of it all.

We have some big tractors for heavy mowing and tilling but most of our maintenance is done with a John Deere 4066M. It works great for food plots and is small enough to get around in the woods. It also works wonderfully for hauling out deer.

tractor.jpg
F11F7C91-6989-4453-B915-55AE66952D98-2984701.jpg

Since I'll be talking about my favorite little hunting buddy a lot I reckon I should introduce everyone to Bennet. He got his first deer last year with a crossbow. Shot her right on a foodplot that he planted with an ATV and seed spreader. He's 8 now, but he acts 18. I've always treated him like an adult and feel like he's mature beyond his years. For those that have the ability to get little ones into the outdoors, do it. There's nothing more enjoyable than taking a kid hunting.

870D2D66-441C-454C-8E1F-6BC28E6A80DF-2988569.jpg
FF800C41-55C3-4230-8D4E-B7C2B0CAD288-2927827.jpg

Anyways, to get to a story of his buck he killed back in October. Sorry it's long. Thursdays are my quasi-day off work. I usually end up working most of the day, but sometimes I will try and bail out early enough to pick up the kids from school. Little man asked me if I could get out of work in time to pick him up after school and go hunting, so I obliged.

We had a perfect wind and it had been raining off and on for most of the day. There was a break in the rain around 3:45 (we lose shooting light a light around 7:20) so I thought this will be perfect and give us a chance to get setup in a ground blind overlooking one of our plots. With how the weather had been, I assumed deer would be on their feet once the front broke. It started pouring on us about 4:30 and rained hard for around an hour. By the time 6:00 rolled around, there were deer on their feet everywhere and the rain had stopped. We ended up seeing 17 or 18 different does and 8 different bucks. He has been holding out for a nicer buck (he had passed many 1 and 2 year olds) and we had a couple nice "shooters" on their feet but were a long ways from bow range but working our direction.

The food plot is carved out of a large section of CRP. So, it's not uncommon to see deer go in and out. About 25 minutes before we lost shooting light the buck he ended up slipping an arrow in stepped back out to feed at 88 yards. It had began drizzling rain again but he was slowly working our direction. There were a lot of deer in range in front of the blind and I was afraid he maybe wouldn't make it to us since mature bucks are sometimes "loners" this time of year as the rut hadn't started yet. He kept slowly creeping our direction and it was a race against losing shooting light. He finally got to under 50 yards and I thought "this is actually going to happen."

Lil man had now been watching the buck for 15-18 minutes. He was very calm and we had the TenPoint locked in a Bog Deathgrip. What I would have hoped would have been an easy shot suddenly had me second guessing because of the drizzling rain/distance/low light due to the weather. He assured me he was rock steady on it and I was watching with my binos to see where the arrow flew. At the shot, the deer showed no reaction to being shot (no mule kick). He also flagged when running off and looked unscathed. Lil man was excited "that we got him" and I had to calm him down and explain to him that I was afraid he shot just under him. He assured me that he knew that he hit it (said he saw it in the scope) and we waited a bit in the blind to not rush out there--the buck headed straight into CRP upon the shot and it's too tall to see deer in from ground level.

So, after waiting a bit in the blind it started raining pretty hard and I was anxious to go find the arrow. I knew exactly where the deer was standing and found the arrow immediately. At first glance, no blood on the arrow. "I'm sorry, buddy, I think you shot under him." Then, I noticed the arrow felt a little tacky so I get to looking closer and there is a tiny speck of blood on one of the vanes. The "tackiness" is a very thin layer of tallow--but not white. I smell the arrow--smells fine and I would have seen if hit in the guts. I know he didn't hit high. I go back to where the deer was standing and find just a few very small droplets of blood and a tiny bit of light/white hair. I look for blood and I look for blood and I look for blood and don't find a single additional drop. Obviously, the rain was not helping and by now it is pitch black. I spend a significant amount of time looking before convincing myself that he hit it low and barely grazed it--or maybe in the brisket.

I have a devastated 8 year old.

Friday (next day) was more of the same for weather. Overcast and rainy. Our next chance to get back out there would be Saturday evening. I hoped that I would get a picture of the buck proving that he was ok. I wanted to fully convince myself it was a superficial wound. I kept replaying the shot and sequence of events thereafter in my head. When I didn't get any pics, I was starting to think maybe the deer is indeed dead. We hunted Saturday evening as more of an "observation" sit. Hoping to catch a glimpse of him. Nothing. I kept looking for buzzards. Nothing.

As I sat there replaying it in my mind, I remembered that on Thursday evening some deer over in another food plot spooked off shortly after the shot--this would have been the opposite direction I thought for sure the buck went. At the time, I didn't think this was of any relevance. I thought about it and thought about it and headed out Sunday to go look in that direction--thinking maybe the buck took a hard 180 that direction and took those other deer with him as he spooked through. The cover gets very tight back that way as there is just some thicket along the river and an ag field out front. I looked for a couple hours on Sunday and decided to head along the narrow strip along the river and peer down over the bank as I went along--it's been very dry and the river is unusually low. I walked along for a while that direction and thought I started to smell something. "Can't be" I thought. I went along a little further and see a white belly in a viny thicket. And, there he laid.

Coyotes had started on his backend already. I assume the deer had died on Thursday night. Meat/Cape both ruined.

Pic of the only blood that was found (where deer was standing at the shot). As you can see, the arrow sure didn't look like it had been through a deer.

I've never seen my son so happy.
6961F717-8BB7-4CAD-B7CE-6A794622E75C-3004040.jpg
C4F2FD0A-38D8-44DE-A4D3-2A83944E0841-3000949.jpg
DE489058-F165-4576-99BF-929A3334F654-3000951.jpg

I didn't have much happen on my sits until 11/2. I passed a nice buck with my bow that evening (snapped a pic with my phone) and from there on the rut was kicked off in full force for the next 3 weeks. My son went out and hunted with me every sit. Since he wasn't on the bow, he did bring along his Ipad to help pass the time...

F708B714-1483-4816-90AB-00EB8FDF589B-3013739.jpg
605BC8F7-F0C3-4C92-84A6-0248A3C54274-3007950.jpg

To break the monotony of the thread up a bit...here's a couple aerial photos of the farm. As I said it floods like crazy most of the time in early spring. Really ticks me off when it impacts my ability to turkey and deer hunt down there. You can see some of my mowed shooting lanes in the CRP in the pics. We get a flood like this about once a year. I can't believe how willing the deer are to stay in as the water rises.

flood.jpg
flood2.jpg

On 11/9 another one our target bucks got taken off the list. Taken by a family member from out of state. He hunted for 25 minutes. This one was from a different farm than our main farm so not as much history with him but pretty sure he did get passed last year by my nephew.

Long main beams and 21 inches inside got him to 154 gross.

wide.jpg
wide2.jpg
wide3.jpg

On 11/26 my father in law smoked the “kicker” buck.

Very cool that my son and myself were there with him in the blind. He has had a rough year with health as he spent the earlier part of 2023 kicking cancer’s ass. I don’t know if it was that fact or that all three of us were together but this buck means a lot to me and it definitely sparked some emotions.

1111.jpg
11111.jpg
1111111.jpg

Bennet wanted to get a doe for meat. He was pretty disappointed that we lost the meat from his buck. We went out on the evening of 12/2 hoping to get a mature doe into easy range. We saw a few but I didn't let him shoot cause we had some bucks in front of us most of the night. I didn't want to risk pushing them off the property and getting shot. So, we shot em with a camera instead. Tomorrow would be the last evening of gun season for us.

123.jpg

If you've scrolled this far, thank you for tagging along. Bennet always looks at the MM forum with me and he encouraged me to do this. I think he wanted to see himself be famous on the internet, if only in his mind. Lol.

I'll post a few more pics of some survivors that will be ones to keep an eye on for years to come. I'm already thinking about next season :cool:

Very much enjoyed your posts.

I admire your commitment to operate your farm so as to enhance the growing of deer for sport hunting and providing all of the secondary benefits to other wildlife…. that also feed from your passion.

Your family commitment is exemplary as well.

You’re a credit to the lifestyle. Hope to keeping hearing from you here on Monster Muleys.

Thanks. There’s several other skull plates and euros as well. With conservation, the more you give the more you receive—it seems.

That piece of land holds a special place in my heart. I pray that it continues to mean as much to my son into the future as it does to him now.
I believe your concept is a window of mule deer hunting in the future as well. It works.

That's hilarious! Yeah, he'd be sorely disappointed in meeting me, "You're not the tall, skinny, black guy that cooks with Martha Stewart and has more endorsements than Shaq!"

I hunt big game, not big blunts. ;)

From the looks of that wall, you're managing your place quite well. Also looks like you've got a fine hunting partner.

Congrats to both of you!

One word, JEALOUS!!! But in a good way, super cool to see how the investment in time and family time has worked out for you like this, I'm not a huge whitetail guy but doing something like this in retirement seems like it might be the ticket.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom