My Montana Moose

JRABQ

No this is not another post by Paul:)

But another post by NM resident lucky enough to draw a Montana tag, thank you MT! Figured I'd post it here since not much activity on Montana site.

Also got lucky and found a nice bull on 4th morning of my hunt. I had seen one other bull on the first morning, and in retrospect I was "lucky" I didn't get a shot at him because he was not nearly as nice as this one. Anyway, I saw this one about 700-800 yards away, and closed the distance to ~320 and took the shot. I probably could have got closer but after having the first bull give me the slip I wasn't going to take any chances. He dropped at the shot but I could see he was still alive so I hustled over in his direction. Good thing because when I was about 150 yards away he stood up and took a step and was about to go behind a tree. Got the crosshairs back on him and fired and he disappeared. Turned out he died right there, but with the tall grass and brush it was an anxious few minutes before I got over there and found him. First thought was damn he's a big critter. I shot a younger Shiras moose in WY in 2003, and it really wasn't any bigger than a mature bull elk, but this one sure was. First shot hit him a bit forward in neck area, but he was able to recover and get up, 2nd shot in heart/lungs did him in.

6315p1010655.jpg

8895dsc00599red.jpg

Also good to have nice friends in Montana, I called up Pete from Bozeman and he came up and helped me break down the animal and pack him out. Pete helped me out on my goat hunt last year so kudos to him, again.

3856dsc00643red.jpg

Pete with a backstrap;

9383dsc00675red.jpg

And the head

8935dsc00781red2.jpg

Old guy with shoulder

3993dsc00782red.jpg

It was just a few hundred yards to an ATV trail so that part was not terrible. I boned out all the meat and put it on top of my camper the first night to cool off, then back into 2 150 qt coolers in the AM, hardly any room to spare. This was in grizz country so I was a bit worried, but had my 45 in case I heard something on the roof, which was just a few feet above my head.

2663dsc00840red.jpg

4700p1010679red.jpg

I had a deer hunt in WY I tried to do on the way home, but after a couple of nights of dealing with the moose meat I decided to drive home.

Back home in the kitchen, a large sirloin tip steak;

3913p1010687red.jpg

Winchester XP3 bullet recovered, 2nd shot. Apparently they no longer load this round, but I've mostly had good luck with them.

5279p1010695red.jpg

42", wide angle photos probably make him look bigger. Have no idea about score, his brow tine configuration is not very typical, from what I gather.

That moose looks huge. That is awesome. Congrats!!! By the way, Montana gave me something else. Giardia. Sick as a dog for 4 days now.
Hope you were careful with the water.

How many points did it take you? I gave up my moose points a few years ago, still building sheep though. Look a little easier to pack out a sheep. Killed a Shiras in WY many years ago, not sure where I would put another.
Congrats looks like a great adventure, and that is a top quality moose which is getting harder and harder to find with Wolves around.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-15 AT 09:07PM (MST)[p]Congrats on a fine animal. It's nice to see a NM license plate in another western state. I was in the Gila in September and I swear there were more Colorado, Montana, utah, Washington, Nevada and Texas plates than NM.

Funny, I thought this was a Paul post also. Very nice moose! How many pounds of meat does a guy get off something like that?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-15 AT 03:24AM (MST)[p]>By the way, Montana gave
>me something else. Giardia.
> Sick as a dog
>for 4 days now.
>Hope you were careful with the
>water.

Dang that's too bad, I thought y'all used a straw? This was not a backpack type hunt so water was never an issue. I hunt a lot in Colorado and never drink water out of a stream.

>How many points did it take
>you?

I had a few under max, I think around 10-11. The unit I applied for was one of the easier units to draw, according to HT I might have had ~20% odds. The hunt success rate had been terrible for a few years (Zero! in 2011, 2012) so the draw odds were a bit better than average. But at my age I decided to take a chance, rather go hunting, can't wait another 20 years.

Ironically I almost gave up on mountain goat last year when they really jacked up the application costs. But I gave it one more year and drew a 1 in 200 type tag. So up next year will be sheep :)

>Congrats looks like a great adventure,
>and that is a top
>quality moose which is getting
>harder and harder to find
>with Wolves around.

Yep, I was lucky finding a good one. And it was a great adventure, which is mainly what I'm after.

>How many pounds of
>meat does a guy get
>off something like that?

When I got home the 9 bags of boneless meat (untrimmed or processed) added up to 373 lbs, using a 50 lb. fish scale. That was without the shanks or any rib meat. Wishing I had cut off some ribs, but didn't think about it a the time.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-15
>AT 03:34?AM (MST)

>
>>JR, thank God we have those
>>young guys to help us
>>pack stuff out. :)
>
>No kidding! At least you
>could grown your own, I
>just got lucky and found
>a friend last year.
>Here is the link to
>that story;
>
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID8/5669.html#.ViNm4f-FPIU

Just read your goat story. Wow, MT has been really good to you. Those goats are the neatest animals. Doubt I will ever be able to hunt them again though. You got a nice one. Like those little bumper guards behind their horns. My first one was to young and did not have them.
Very lucky to have a son that enjoys hunting as much as I do. These have been some good years with him.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom