My new toy

WesternSky

Just thought I would share pictures of my new toy. I am very pleased with the way it turned out but was suprised at how expensive and how long it took to get it built.

Specs
Surgeon custm round action
7mm Dakota with 180 Berger VLD's
Broughton barrel
B&C stock
Jewell Trigger
HS detachable mag
Leupold Mark IV 8.5-25 TMR scope
CSR Muzzle brake
Atlas V8 bipod
Loadbase Ballistic sofeware loaded on a PDA to provide field turrent adjustments.

Shooting 180's at 3000fps with .5 MOA (still developing accuracy, expect to get it to .25 moa)
Ive been shooting close range so far but have hit 8" rock @ 725 and 8' gong at 1100 just off ballistic software calculation whithout field verification of POI.
It was built to have the energy and accuracy to shoot Elk to 1000 yards.
6094img00034-20100801-1925a.jpg

8982img00035-20100801-1926a.jpg

Wow nice gun, looks like it can get the job done.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Must say that rifle combo has the Cool Factor down!!

If i were a young guy starting over again, a setup like that might be the way i'd want to go. In my day, a ADL or BDL 25-06 was hot Stuff and a .257 or .270 Weatherby was about as high tech as you could get.

Now, there's not much, in my skill level, that i can't do with my 270WSM or 280AI, yet with one of those above, a guy could grow and maybe never have need to upgrade as his shooting skills progressed.

Sweet setup!!

Joey

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Cahunt,
I really like the muzzle brake. If your not familiar with it, it has a 90 deg rear port which creates a gas shield and the front 2 point back for recoil reduction. It doesnt vent down also. With this design the nice thing is that when you are shooting prone on dirt it doesnt make a big dust cloud blocking the view of the shooter. My barrel finishes out at almost 1" in diamter and the csr brake is bigger than that. I wish I would have ordered the next diameter down which would have blended it in with the barrel contour a little better.

I am shooting Retumbo powder but have heard the H1000 also works well at slightly less velocities.

I would say Retumbo, H1000, RL25 or ramshot Magnunm would do great in the dakota. Congrats again on a fine looking rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom