My Sons Cory's First Elk

D

downwindnclosingin

Well with 5 days left in the season we hit the mountain for a night hunt to try and find an elk for my son Cory. It was our third time out during the December cow elk hunt. There had been a lot of hunters and pressure on the unit. We saw a couple of herds of elk on the bordering unit. We headed over to another area and caught this elk moving down. Cory and I sat down and at 205 yards he hit the elk with the first shot. The elk moved about 10 feet and Cory hit him again perfect behind the front shoulder. The elk went down. It was a lot of fun to see a young hunter get his first elk at the age of 12. Cory used a Ruger .243 Winchester Compact LSS, A Leupold Scope and 100 Grain Nosler Partitions. The combination was very effective. We had a great year hunting together. He took a doe antelope earlier in the year. While in the field I was overwelmed with the compassion of other hunters who went out of their way to try and help a 12 year old fill his tag. It was a real treat to give Cory a positive hunting experience. I am looking forward to next season.

4b39a0ce0a43e652.jpg

Way to go dad. I tell my kids' first elk story every chance I get. It will stick with you forever. Congrats on the lopester too and thanks for sharing. These are my favorite threads to view.

HK

Congratulations Cory ! It looks like you had a great hunting season. It sounds like your .243 doesn't miss.

Congrats on a AWESOME hunt! The 1st animal is always the one a person remembers the most, especially when dad is there! Glad to hear you had a great experience to with other hunters trying to help you out.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

That is awesome! I am working up a load for the 243 for my son this year. He turns 12 next week and will be hunting next season. Congrats to Cory!!! Way to go!

Congrats. Perfect size elk, which I am sure will taste great...
redelkarcher>>>--------------->

Very nice, love that 243 it a great gun, now the freezer is full,its time to hunt coyotes.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom