N.American Deer Slam..which is it

yoteduster

Very Active Member
I've been reading some articles from some old hunting magazines about what they call the north American deer slam...one said it consisted of the mule deer, whitetail and the prong horn antelope.. I didn't know the prong horn was a deer.. Another one said it is the whitetail, mule deer, coues deer and the blacktail deer which is what I always thought it was..then I read a article in Petersons mag. That one says it's the whitetail, mule deer, coues deer, Columbian blacktail, and the sitka blacktail..sooo which one do you guys think it should be....and yes I'm bored lol

There are like 15 off-shoot subspecies of whitetail deer in the states but the Coues is the only one that is counted in the slam as it's own "species" far as I know. Coues deer compared to all those other types of whitetails are quite unique and different. All the others are too close to really tell for the most part I believe. Body size, where they live and personalities of each definitely differ/vary, but the Coues is much more distinct. I guess a guy could go as deep into a deer slam as he wanted and kill 15-20 different types of deer, but i've never heard the slam being anything other than mule deer, whitetail, coues deer, columbian blacktail, and sitka blacktail until today.

There are like 15 off-shoot subspecies of whitetail deer in the states but the Coues is the only one that is counted in the slam as it's own "species" far as I know. Coues deer compared to all those other types of whitetails are quite unique and different. All the others are too close to really tell for the most part I believe. Body size, where they live and personalities of each definitely differ/vary, but the Coues is much more distinct. I guess a guy could go as deep into a deer slam as he wanted and kill 15-20 different types of deer, but i've never heard the slam being anything other than mule deer, whitetail, coues deer, columbian blacktail, and sitka blacktail until today.
Just looked it up - for B&C and P&Y purposes only, the slam is as you listed: Mule deer, Whitetail deer, Coues deer, Columbian blacktail deer, and Sitka blacktail deer.

SCI gets a little crazy with sub-species, but B&C and P&Y are good enough for me.

I need the 2 blacktail deer species still.

Just looked it up - for B&C and P&Y purposes only, the slam is as you listed: Mule deer, Whitetail deer, Coues deer, Columbian blacktail deer, and Sitka blacktail deer.

SCI gets a little crazy with sub-species, but B&C and P&Y are good enough for me.

I need the 2 blacktail deer species still.
Same here. I'm supposed to cross Sitka Blacktail off my list next fall, but I don't really have plans to ever kill a Columbian Blacktail.

The North American Sheep slam includes the Dall, Stone, Rocky Mt. Bighorn and Desert Bighorn.
It does not include the California Bighorn, or the Fannin which count as a Rocky and Stone.
The word Grand Slam implies covering all four bases. That said a Deer Grand Slam would include four species. Whitetail, Mule Deer, Coues, and (any) Blacktail.

Regardless, they are all fun to hunt!

The North American Sheep slam includes the Dall, Stone, Rocky Mt. Bighorn and Desert Bighorn.
It does not include the California Bighorn, or the Fannin which count as a Rocky and Stone.
The word Grand Slam implies covering all four bases. That said a Deer Grand Slam would include four species. Whitetail, Mule Deer, Coues, and (any) Blacktail.

Regardless, they are all fun to hunt!
Fannin count as either a dall or stone, not a rocky.

Regarding antelope- On Antelope Island here in Utah, those at the visitor's center will tell you that what we call an Antelope is actually a Pronghorn Deer. Only learned that about 4 years ago... Its kind of like how we regularly call them "buffalo", instead of bison, due to African influence.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom