Name That Bird

D

DeerKing

Here are a few birdies, can you name them?

Mearns.jpg

ptarmrock.jpg

Goldeneye.jpg

Cinnamon.jpg

babyg.jpg

sagegrouse.jpg

snipe.jpg

Buffle.jpg

I HOPE I GET FEW CORRECT?

1-GAMBLE QUAIL
2-??
3-BLUE GROUSE
4-SAGE GROUSE
5-WOODCHUCK
6-?
???????
VINIHUNT

p.s. dk...whats up?

I'm no expert, but here goes my try.
1-quail
2-golden eye
3-cinnomon teal
4-ruff grouse
5-sage grouse
6-common snipe
7-buffle head

I all ways get those black and white ducks mixed up...

Here goes:
1: Blue scale quail (female)
2: Barrows golden eye
3: Cinamon teal
4: Rough Grouse
5: Sage Grouse
6: Wood ****
7: Bufflehead

O.K. Here goes!
1. Mearns Quail
2. Goldeneye
3. Cinnamon Teal
4. Ruffed Grouse
5. Sage Grouse
6. Woodcock
7. Bufflehead

The grouse are little tricky cuz you can't see the markings as good.

GlomDawg

Same as glomdawg except #4 is a baby grouse and #6 is a snipe.
(hint: click on the properties of each picture, he named the pictures after the bird)

wamuledeer
Man you wouldnt be much fun at a party. Course no one plays lame party games like this except for me. But yes, that is correct.

Sir OSOK
Yeah thats a Mearns I knocked down last year while hunting Coues. Found that shed the same day so I combined them

Cool bird pics J, and some great taxidermying on the ducks and quail!!!

PS is would have got all but the cinnamon teal. Do you have a day late and a dollar short prize?

Ridge
I'll put a video of Colorado Velvet in the mail tomorrow if you can tell specifically what kind of sage grouse that was......

Forgive me, O-great spelling master. One small fo-pah on "ruffed" grouse.

But actually a "rough" grouse is one tough little bastard. If your not careful when hunting them they will "rough" you up!:)

Hopefully next time I will spell everything correctly as not to confuse you.;-)

Thanks for guessing guys, you did pretty good.
1. Mearns or Harlequin Quail (Probably goes by other names)
2. Common Goldeneye
3. Cinamon Teal
4. Baby Blue Grouse (had to throw a tricky one in)
5. Gunnison Sage Grouse
6. Common Snipe
7. Bufflehead

Here's a picture of a Ruffed Grouse. Gets its name for the "ruff" of dark feather on the neck.

ruffedgrouse.jpg

I thought that only the ruff grouse has the little tuft of feathers that stick up on top the head. I have never seen a blue grouse with them. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering for myself.

Ivan

Bambi
The baby grouse in the pic was a Blue. I was walking an old dirt road and came across the mama and 3-4 babies. This little guy flew up in the tree and just stared at me. In this area there are only Blues. I think that little tuft on the bird head might be something in the background? That or he was punk.

Learn something new everyday.

Thats a pretty cool collection of birds you have mounted. I have a b52 bomber of a sage grouse mounted and a sweet little green wing teal. I don't know why I got the sage grouse mounted... They ain't the prettiest bird around, but the price was right (cost of the form) so I figured why not. I really want to shoot and mount a pair of pin tails, I think those are the sweetest of all the birds. One of the worst things I didn't do was mount the pair of canvas backs that about 10 years ago. I didn't relize what I had. They were some of the first ducks that I had ever shot. Also I'd like to get about 3-4 geese mounted one day for the man room. I think it would be cool to have them pitchn' in just over the pool table...

Ivan

Bambi
Thanks about the little collection. I have a pair of sage grouse mounted! Like you said they are nothing special to look at but what the hey! I have about 9-10 other ducks mounts. (Every duck indigenous to Colorado) Ringneck, Scaup, Widgeon, Canvasback, Woodies, Bluewing, Greenwing, Redhead, Pintail and a few others. I'll post some more later. Geese coming in over the pool table would be cool. Actually a pool table would be cool. I probably could have afforded a pool table if I hadnt spent so much on duck taxidermy....

I disagree about the sage grouse being nothing special to look at. The boomers make great fun in the spring while they're on the lek. They're there every morning until the golden eagles breaks them up, and in the winter, what a great challenge to hunt with a falcon. Nothing difficult about shooting them with a shotgun, but, with a falcon half their size, Wow!!!!!

Graybeard
What kind of falcons do you use? Where do you do your falconary? Sounds like a fun and fascinating hobbby. Got any pictures of birds in action?

DK, I mostly fly them with Gyrfalcons or Gyr/peregrine hybrids. I've flown them with wild trapped and captive raised birds. I usually hunt them in northeastern UT or southwestern WY but I have hunted them in many states. I just sold my male gyrfalcon because my new love is flying golden eagles. I had a male eagle but lost him around Christmas and won't be able to get another until October because of some strict state regulations. I'm going to hold out for a female this time so I can hunt coyotes. I don't take many photos but I have plenty around. I sure don't have any way of posting them though. I sure like seeing your photos. Graybeard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom