Nebraska 2023 Muzzleloader

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Well I figured I’d post some pictures of my Nebraska late season hunt, it’s not over yet by any means but with blue bird sky’s, no snow and temps in the mid 50’s climbing to mid 60’s by the end of the week things are pretty dang slow ……. First place I hunted was the Sandhills, first buck I laid eyes on but of course on the wrong ground !
IMG_4323.jpeg

Deer numbers have definitely dropped off from years past, I’ve hiked a bunch of different types of ground, a lot of it passes the eye test but the deer just aren’t there. But like I said this weather is just way to warm, they don’t need to move much at all. Sure is nice to see these groups of muley does tho, even if they aren’t in huge numbers out feeding !

Thanks for the write up and pics..Nebraska can and does produce some nice muleys last time I hunted it was 2018 things can change some in a few years..good luck on your hunt

So, I have to ask. I saw both whiteys and muleys on my leisurely cruise thru there. Are you species specific?

So, I have to ask. I saw both whiteys and muleys on my leisurely cruise thru there. Are you species specific?
I’m mainly looking for a mature mule deer but the right whitetail just might trip my trigger as the hunt goes on. I do have the draw permit for Niobrara…….. which is mainly whitetail country. We’re changing areas again and back tracking up that way tonight.

Well this morn I hiked in a couple miles on a chunk of public dang near to the Wyoming line. About 7:15 I watched a pair of muley bucks feed along the top of this rock ridge and bed on top. The one was questionable, but they are both still alive and well. Coming across hwy 20 tonight was like playing dodgeball with the muley does and did see one nice buck…….. couple of them didn’t make it across. Always see a bunch near Merriman it seems. Pic of this mornings hike ! Sandhills in the morning !
IMG_4376.jpeg
IMG_4379.jpeg

Fun hunt Wizard, congratulations on a nice buck. Good job getting exactly what you wanted out of your opportunity.

Today I hunted the Fort Niobrara Refuge outside Valentine, it’s a draw to get the access permit for archery or muzzleloader only. Place is full of buffalo, they were all over the place ! I crossed the river on the buffalo bridge to hunt. Seems to be all whitetail so far, few does and one small buck is all I saw. Back at it tomorrow!
IMG_4396.jpeg
IMG_4388.jpeg
IMG_4394.jpeg

Next we went on over to the Pine Ridge, just because I missed it lol. Didn’t see but a very few Muley does and a bunch of whitetail. Had a group of 5 whiteys go by, the biggest was a half rack, next biggest probably a 120’s buck……. I passed. View attachment 129997

Great pics. And thanks for sharing. Hope you get a big one!

BTW, I think I recognize that butte. ;)

Been to Valentine passing through to my BILs Bison and WT hunt on the Rosebud Res about 10 years ago. Nice little town IMO. Country looks familiar... good luck.!!

Been to Valentine passing through to my BILs Bison and WT hunt on the Rosebud Res about 10 years ago. Nice little town IMO. Country looks familiar... good luck.!!
You bet, I sure like Valentine. People have been great, the eating has been great at The Bunkhouse and The Peppermill, and The Gun Cabinet is still well stocked with guns and gear as usual ! Very nice western store on Main Street also ! Hunt is currently on X- mas break for a few days. Thanks !

Well after a few days off doing the holiday thing I hunted around Valentine again right up to the end. Wish I had some great story with a great buck to show but no dice ! I did have a few opportunity’s at much lesser bucks of both species but that’s not what I went for. I still had an absolute blast being out there and have no regrets. There was a little pressure in the Wildcat hills areas but most places I saw just a very few other hunters, some places no one. From what I’ve seen the private landowners are doing a great job managing what they have around, the state ……. not so much. But there isn’t a lot of public land available, that being said I did find plenty of OFW ground in pieces to hunt along with the bigger chunks of public. All in all I still had a blast ! Happy new year to all !!!

Great job of taking us on your hunt. You take some good pictures. I live aways south of Valentine but play around a lot on some ranches around Merriman and over to Crawford. I hunted antelope there this year and have for the last 40 and we've got something going that's affecting deer numbers I suspect disease but according to Game and Parks all is well. It looks to me that you had a great hunt even though you didn't fill your tag. Thanks!

I have done this hunt in the past, deer numbers did seem quite a bit lower this time around. Both the muleys and the whitetails. The place I was most shocked with was the Pine Ridge area…… saw some whitetail bucks and does but not much at all for mule deer on the public anyway. The whitetail were right in some of the spots we’ve had success on mule deer in the past. They should have watched that area a little closer and limited it many years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom