Need a good freighter pack

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Hi All

I am looking for a good freighter pack to use for packing meat and exercising. Presently I am using a Kifaru freighter that I really did not like for hauling meat. I use it 2 to 3 times a week for 2 to 3 hours hiking the hills loaded with 75 lbs of sand. Load weight will increase the month before season. Also the stitching is starting to wear as seen in photo. Since exercise is priority this pack needs to be able to handle the weight, frequent use,and be comfortable. The pack weight itself will not be an issue. Meat hauling duties will be for second trips if needed after getting back to the truck or camp with the first load.

I am looking at the Kelty Cache Hauler frame and the Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter Frame from Barney's Sports Chalet in Alaska. Would like to hear from anyone who has used either of these. I am open to any other ideas also, but do not need a pack system. I have quite a few Eberlestock packs for different occasions and a Stone Glacier pack that I really like.
2717040_-_copy1.jpg

3930039_-_copy.jpg

Thanks
Bill

I think your asking way too much of a pack. 75 pounds 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours is going to wear down anything you get fairly fast. I just got the Kelty, and although it looks like it will work for my style of hunting, no way its gonna do what your asking it to do. For exercise you may want to look at body harnesses that are semi-custom fit and hold lead shot.

I have Cabellas Alaska freighter pack and frame, like it for flat ground and trails. Not for heavy loads x-country.
I now use E-stock 104 for most all trips. Lighter trips.

And I used to carry heavy loads a lot hunting and backpacking,like 60-80 lbs.

But I wasn't 59 and wanting to keep going for many years.
Get used to 30-40lbs and the occational double that is possible, IMHO.

I have the Kelty freighter and I like it. I found using my Arcteryx pack works better if I tighten the straps in the middle of the pack and on the bottom all the way. That keeps the small, but heavy load of meat in the top of the pack and it's more comfortable.

I use the Granite Gear Stratus Flatbed pack. It's a pack some firefighters use. It's rated for over 70+ lbs. For me, it's very comfortable when I'm hauling a heavy load of boned out meat, camping gear or just the items I need for the day. I plan to use it to pack in for my upcoming Mtn Goat hunt in the Uintah's this year.

Smokepole

Thanks for the replies

Mike I have a X-vest that I use but it has 2 problems.
1) It does not get you shoulders and hips/waist conditioned for packing. 2) During the summer it is just to hot to wear. It is very well balanced and works great other wise.

Henry, I am only 8 years behind you. I feel hiking with heaver weight and going slow(1.5 to 2.5 miles/hour on descents of 500 to 650 feet per half mile) gets you use to taking smaller steps and keeping your balance on loose ground. The up hill part works my legs & lungs, but the down hill really works my legs trying to hold yourself back. And I would like to be in good enough shape just in case I draw a sheep tag before I die. You can not go wrong with any of the Eberlestock packs that Glen has designed. I own 10 of them and they each fit a purpose.

Andy, do you find the Kelty shoulder straps and waist belt comfortable with a load?

Mike, I looked up the Granite Gear but could not find the Stratus Flatbed pack. I will keep researching.

Thanks Again
Bill

I couldn't find that stratus flatbed but I did find the Granite Gear Chief Flatbed. This is sold as tactical pack for the military. It appears to be the same as my stratus but costs a lot more and is camo http://www.granitegear.com/dt/GGTactical2012.pdf

It might be that Granite Gear does not make the stratus anymore, you could always contact them and find out.

Smokepole

Take a look at the Bullpac, at only 4 lbs. the last few years I've been strapping my day packs to it. For me it's very very comfortable and can handle more then I can carry.

"Trust but verify"

I have the hauler from Gander mountain (don't remember the name) bought it in 2005, and it cost me $55 back then. I think they run about $65-$70 now a days. It has packed out a moose, 14 elk, 12-15 muleys and made many other heavy hauls of packing in/out tree stands, water, gear and carrying weight for exercise. Many many of those loads were 100 pounds or more and 6 or more miles one way. Still using it and hope to be using the same frame for years to come (knock on wood) :)

Wish I could help with the name but I can't recall, I just looked at their website with no luck. However they usually don't come out till late summer.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom