Need help ASAP for a 300 WSM load

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I have been fine tuning my 270 wsm getting ready for my LE elk hunt. The damn BOSS System stripped out and is just dangling off the end of the barrel and won't come off. The gun needs a new barrel unles I were to cut it off then it would shoot slower. Anyway I decided to buy a 300 WSM. I do not have much time before my deer and elk hunts start. I was hoping someone on here could let me in on a few good loads. I would like to shoot a bullet with a BC at or above .500. I would like to be able to shoot out to about 700 yards and hit a pie plate consistently, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

i use reloader 17 68 grains 180 accubonds it works good with my christens arms

When exactly does your hunt start up? I'd shoot the 180 Accubond for sure... might be a little pressed to find a new rifle/load and set it up to shoot long range in such little time. I hope things will work out for you!

I am in the middle of a building a elk load for my 300 WSM. I have a 25 inch custom match grade barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I have had great success with the 175 barnes LRX with Norma cases, federal primers and RE-17. I am currently on hold. I can't find any RE 17 to complete the process. I was at about 3150 fps with 62.5 grns of RE-17. I was at about 3/4 inch MOA and need to work on my COAL to tighten the group but I am out of powder. I can't find it anywhere. For the current round I had a COAL of 2.86 to start. Not sure that help. On a side note...Anybody know where to get any RE-17?

I don't have the data at work with me but I have worked up two loads in my 300 WSM with good results. One was using the 180 Hornay Interbond the other was the 165 Hornady SST. I believe the 180 was pushing 3050 fps and the 165 was at 3150 fps. Both shoot sub MOA but the 180 was a little better with 4 out 5 bullet holes touching.

400bull

400 bull

What powder are you useing on your loads? I also have a 300WSM that I need to work up a load on.

Some one above was looking for R17. My friend picked some at Riverdale sportsmans a few weeks ago, not sure if they have any left.

Buckshot,

I forgot to look at my notes last night but I think the 180 Interbond is backed by 64.5 grains of RL-17. I cannot recall the load data for the 165 SST but I know that I was using RL-17.

400bull

Thanks 400bull

Looks like a couple of you are useing R17 with good results. Thats great, I use it in my 270 WSM. It will be nice if it shoots well in my 300 only one powder to have on hand.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom