Need knee surgery advice

stinky

Boys, I tore my ACL, about 2 weeks ago, while deer hunt'N. Me fall down go boom.

I am scheduled to go under the knife on 12/08.

Originally, the doc was planning on using a portion of my patella tendon. The doc says that he does this for athletes all the time, w/good results. He was originally leaning towards a cadaver's tendon. but, for no good reason, I'd rather use my own.

But, a buddy of mine in TX advises don't do it as he did the same and it lasted less than a year and now it hurts for him to walk downhill. He now has a cadaver's tendon and it works for him fine.

Good thing I live in CO as I only get to walk uphill. Everytime I shoot an elk or deer it is magically in the bottom of some hole and I only have to carry them out. I don't know how I get to the bottom, but tis a real bugger to get out of the hole...I can't imagine what it would be like to hurt to get into the hole too.

My other options are a tendon from a cadaver or a tendon pulled from my hamstring.

Anybody had their ACL replaced and w/what?

Have you heard about an Iradiated tendon?John 14:6

A tendon from your hamstring should be your last choice. I have not had surgery, thank God, but I've coached a number of young men who've had to have "Tommy John" surgery, which is elbow ligament reconstruction, and the ones who've had to take a portion of the hamstring tendon to create a new ligament have had a lot more trouble with the hamstring healing than they ever did with their elbow.

From the little bit I know about ACL reconstruction, using a cadaver ligament seems to be the preferred method for lasting results.

STINKY......I FELL DOWN WENT BOOM IN BC ON A MIXED BAG HUNT, I HAD THE SAME OPTION FOR ACL REPLACEMENT. AFTER TALKING TO MANY PEOPLE I WENT WITH THE CADAVER LIGAMENT, THEY PRETTY MUCH SAID WHERE THE LIGAMENT CAME FROM ON THEIR BODY......THAT AREA BOTHERED THEM FROM THEN ON. I NOW HAVE 2 HUNTING SEASONS UNDER MY BELT WITH THE NEW ACL.......NO PROBLEMS. YOU'LL BE OK..........YD.

Look at it this way.

You pretty much need ALL your parts, left exactly where the original designer placed them.

If you move one, to help repair another, you now have 2 modified sites and your original design and warranty are in jeopardy.

I have had 2 seperate surgeries, using parts from other areas of my body and the donor site has always given me trouble.

Have them use parts from a dead guy who don't need that particular piece any longer.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

7 years ago I had ACL replacement and went with the patella tendon. They take the middle third of the tendon to rebuild your ACL. I was jogging lightly on it in 7 weeks. I think no matter which you choose there are nightmares, but if you are in good shape going in the recovery will be much quicker. Also listen to your therapist and try to get more range of motion than they recommend.

>Dead guy parts for me. They
>work fine and have for
>a long time.

+1 about 7 years ago. No problems back to 100% within 1 year.

My wife had that surgery twice on the same knee. First time with her parts, lasted about 10 years, the last 5 of which were not good. She then had it redone with a cadaver, and we are 10 years post and she is doing great. Go cadaver!

Stinky You just leave your parts where they are, In a few years we might be needing your parts and if you have used them already, we could SOL. J/K

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Everyones body is different. I have had over a dozen knee surgeries since I was little and each and everyone is different. Unfortunately, I am having surgery next Tuesday and they are replacing the knee cap and top of the lower bone on this surgery hoping to buy another 10-15 years before a total knee. I have fake parts and cadaver parts in both knees and cannot say good or bad about either.

Keep in mind no matter which way you go there will be pain, a different kind and hard to explain, down the road. It never ever truly goes away. It is much worse for me going downhill than up and that is a dozen plus surgeries later.

I would do what your doctor recommends. This time for me it is all plastic an metal.

Best of luck.

I've had 4 different acl reconstructions between the two knees. I only used my own parts. The patella never hurt anymore for me than the hamstring but I did have a difficult time with the hamstring healing and strengthening from where they cut it out. (mostly cramping)
Good luck with it...Whatever you do, follow your dr. and therapists instructions. Don't get on it too soon. That's the reason I've had four surgeries.

Traditional >>>------->

I had the hamstring version 2 yrs ago and not one problem but I followed the doctors orders exactly.

.Cadaver would be my choice.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Am I the only one creeped out at the idea of using a morgue as a salvage yard for spare parts? Like a regular Pick n Pull nowadays with medical science.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Hamstring for me. 10 years in after an op on my right knee and it is better an stronger than the right. The secret is all in your rehab. Follow orders exactly. This includes beginning to walk on it the day after the op. It took me about six months to be 100 %.

I was going to get a replacement "lower unit".

I waited years to get one bigger than the one I have. When it finally was available, wouldn't you know it, the color didn't match!

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Had the ACL reconstruction done with the hamstring graft. There was a little heli-skiing accident in Haines a few years ago. The knee graft is so last century.

I had one little hiccup in my recovery. The hamstring tendons reattached to each other with unequal tension in them. My SOB P/T was able to push me hard enuff in the first week of rehab that they detached and I got a nice bruise. Set my back a couple of weeks.

Other than that, I'm doing great. Still ski and hunt without reservations. I do run my ski bindings fairly loose tho.

I had mine replaced last Feb. with the cadaver graft. I was scouting deer in June and just finished packing an elk out. The Dr said it has remained tight and I can ski without a brace if I want. Do your PT and don't try to push it too soon.

My sister had an ACL surgery in 1998, and I had one in 2002. We both tore them playing soccer... Mine while on a mission in Peru.

We both got the Patella Tendon. My surgery knee is now my strong knee. I have never had any problems with it. Have played multiple sports aggressively since then, and put many hiking miles on it as well... I think you run a risk either way, just go with the one you're most comfortable doing. Also, either way you go, don't push it too soon coming off of surgery. Nothing works better than plenty of time to properly heal...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom