Need some bow advice

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
I am looking for some advice to pass on to my son. As a disclaimer, I know little about bow hunting, and the last bow that I purchased was back in the 80's (a PSE)!

My son is about 6'3 and is looking for a "starter" bow. Do you have any recommendations or, if any of you are looking to sell a bow setup, he might be interested. He has looked at ksl.com and
there are a lot of bows for sale. However, he (we) have no idea what is good or what would or would not be a good deal.

Thank you.

PS: Did I mention that I do not have a clue about bows :unsure:

Just send him into a couple of his local bow shops! Throw every bow into his hand that he can get ahold of and go from there. You can get a decent little base line setup at cabelas for 600$ otherwise.

Just for S&G's, bows to look at for a beginner would be diamond, bear, pse, elite, darton. Mathews and hoyt are both fantastic bows, but they are pricier especially for a beginner.

Advice above is great.

Now being a hoyt guy I always like there line up. For us tall guys they have several models for us.

But as said above he might find he likes pse, prime, hoyt,Matthew's or whatever. In the end they all shoot.

but for a starter bow going cheap and keeping at a realistic price is good advice as said above.

I remember starting out with the ol pse nova. Was cheap but taught me the fundamentals

Great advice guys and going to a shop is a great idea. He does not want to spend too much money as he wants to see how much he may or may not like. I would suspect that he will like it....

Thank you!

My advice is go to a good local bow shop. That has a knowledgeable bow guy!! Dealing with someone that knows how to get him set him up with a bow that fits him right is a big deal! Not only with not wasting money on a piece of junk but getting him a bow that’s going to last. They will let him shot bows to see what he likes. Lots of people buy off internet or from friends, they never like archery because they have a bow that doesn’t fit them so it is impossible to shoot good! Best of luck to him! If he doesn’t like it most shops will let him leave it in the shop to sell. He might also pick up a used one in a shop.

Everything said so far is solid especially about finding a shop with a bow technician who knows what he/she is doing. Only other thing I will add is that budget bows these days are extremely consistent and accurate when configured properly.

They will do what you need them to do out in the field

If any of you have any recommendations for a bow shop in the Ogden area, please let me know (he lives in Washington Terrace).

Thanks

I am looking for some advice to pass on to my son. As a disclaimer, I know little about bow hunting, and the last bow that I purchased was back in the 80's (a PSE)!

My son is about 6'3 and is looking for a "starter" bow. Do you have any recommendations or, if any of you are looking to sell a bow setup, he might be interested. He has looked at ksl.com and
there are a lot of bows for sale. However, he (we) have no idea what is good or what would or would not be a good deal.

Thank you.

If your so wants save money go to a bow shop and get measured and know what his setup needs to be. Then he can shop for a pre-owned bow that fits him. He can get a high quality bow that is say around 5 years old save a bunch and have a high end setup. He will find a lower end bow will not make him happy if he shoots a quality bow at a shop…..there are also a ton of preowned bows on E-Bay, good luck…

Try to look for something with a higher brace hight and longer axle to axle. Him being 6’3 that’s probably the bows that are going to fit him best anyway but both those things make for a more forgiving bow on a beginner.

Brand doesn’t matter. I have my favorites but it comes down to what you shoot the best

Last edited:
Son is a 6’3 as well , shot a mission by matthews first bow. My daughter shoots it now. It’s adjustable and perfect starter bow. But he started at 10 or 11.

Mow a few extra lawns and get a Hoyt Torex. That’s what he has been shooting : quiet ,smooth and shoots lights out!

My son ended up with an entry-level PSE. He has a friend that has been helping him and has already been shooting it. Thanks again for the help. He has a tag in Idaho where he can hunt archery and rifle. He will mainly scout during the archery but who knows, he may get a chance...

My son ended up with an entry-level PSE. He has a friend that has been helping him and has already been shooting it. Thanks again for the help. He has a tag in Idaho where he can hunt archery and rifle. He will mainly scout during the archery but who knows, he may get a chance...

Alright. Let us know how he does

Thank you.

Scheels has a ton of bows and they helped me out allot when buying my wife a bow. Cabela's didn't even want to waste time on us they suck.

I do like Scheels when I’ve been there. I refuse to deal or buy a gun from Cabelas and it sounds like the bow depart is not great.

My son actually bought his at Sportsmans. He did not receive great service (service is usually good at the store). However, he felt like the price was good and most importantly, he has someone who is helping him with it.

I Had to Laugh a couple Years ago!

We were looking at a Newer Used 5th Wheel!

I Was Checking The Outside Of The Trailer & I Find What appears To Be A Bullet Hole In The Side!

The Owner Notices That I Noticed it!

He Says:Well I Better Tell You The Story!

A Few Weeks Prior My Son Was Shooting at a Rabbit With His Bow!

The Dad Asked Him What He Was Looking For?

The Kids Says I Shot At A Rabbit & Can't Find My Arrow!

They Looked For The Arrow for a While & Couldn't Find It Anywhere!

About A Week Later Dad Was Walking By The 5th Wheel & See's The Arrow Sticking Through The Side Of The 5th Wheel!

Dad Wasn't Happy!:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom