Need to put a stop to party hunting

cantkillathing

Very Active Member
I don't know about any of you guys, but I would like the deer herd to come back to a good herd. I live in a small community where everyone seems to buy a tag for there wife, daughter, grandmother, sister, aunt, who ever possible and then when the person shoots 3 deer they put another persons tag on the deer. The fish and game in utah need to find a way to stop this, people could turn them in for it but there is no real incentive to do that.
I am a part of the dedicated hunter program, I think it is great to have to give 24 hours of service to hunt. I think that if the fish and game made everyone give 8 hours of service each year to recieve a permit, you would keep people from buying 6 tags in the family because who's wife or daughter, who doesn't want to hunt in the first place, is going to go do service hours. The dedicated people that really want to hunt will be in the hills doing just that, and the wife that doesn't want to hunt but is only there because the husband needs a tag to put on the 2 point he just shot.
This would keep people more honest, and it would help the fish and game out, because the thousands of hours of service would be beneficial for the wildlife, lets be honest we complain about how the fish and game aren't doing there jobs in the first place, but how can the one fish cop in my small community cover the whole area he has in 40 hours a week. He has to cover two mountain ranges, one limited entry area, and the reservation all of this in 40 hours a week,LOL. The extra service hours would improve the wildlife and habitat tremendously.

But what do you guys think?

You may not see any real insintive for turning them in. I can see three that would have me thing siriusly about turning them in. If you turn them in, the DWR will isue you tag for that unit next year if they are convected. Second, if you turne thess peopel in then the next year not as many deer will be shot and more of the locals will be thinking twice about shoting a deer for some one else. In the long run this could help the herds recover. Third, peace of mind knowing that you have done the right thing.

400bull

New Mexico offers monetary rewards as an incentive to those who turn in poachers. I'd be surprised if other states don't do the same. I like your ideas about "service to hunt."
I know in some states, wardens staffing check stations will ask suspected "party hunters" (i.e. the wives, kids, grandmothers, etc.) to load the weapon used to take their animal. If they can't, it's pretty good evidence that their tag was used by someone else in the party.
Avery

Good idea cantkill. I like it a whole lot. Sure would weed out those that are not serious about hunting and all of the "tag holders".

Keep posting, I like the way you think.

You are right! I killed my coues deer on the secound day after my first time hunting got a severe case of buck fever it was a nice buck 100 so I took him the next day I could have taken his buck by just taking his rifle! 3 bucks one close to 100 came out not more than 150 yards he was unable to get a good shot but they will be there next year for him that is what hunting is about the hunt not the kill hopefully he has learned a valuable lesson on not poaching later CM

Let's do 8 hr's service to even apply for tags.
And I already know who will complain about this.

338boy

8 hours service is a super idea. Just hard for the non residents to figure it out. But maybe we could do it for our state somehow, but that would require a program in place. Still all in all I really like the idea. Put in some work to be able to get into a tag or draw. Wouldn't hurt any of us and can certainly put an age limit or Drs note to avoid if thats reality in certain cases. Heck for my handicapped buddy I'd do my 8 and his 8 too.

Jeff

Don't mean to sound ignorant here but what exactly do you mean by 8 hrs. of service? Do you go out and cut brush or plant feed, or what? It's part of the dedicated hunter program?

I'm not from Utah but I think the problem you describe is probably nation wide. I think it goes on everywhere.

Thanks, I like your idea.

Steve

I'll probably be the loan voice airing the other side of the story here. While I don't agree with party hunting, I don't think that requiring 8 hrs of service is the right answer nor do I think that the 8 hrs of service put in by someone to be a part of the "Dedicated Hunter" crowd is all it's cracked up to be.

Let me make my point. I grew up on a farm in Utah that gets overrun most years with a lot of elk. In order to protect our haystacks, irrigation pipe, and fields from being destroyed the F&G has provided landowner tags and built fences around our haystacks. On the first day the F&G sent about 5 or 6 members of your so-called "dedicated hunter" group to install the fence ---what a joke. Most of these guys hadn't done an honest days work in their life. I was surprised that they could even figure out which end of the shovel to pick up. To make a long story short, my brothers and I had to hold their hand the entire 8 hrs that they were there and then we ended up having to tear out the work that the next group did the following day (we weren't there to hold their hands this time) and do it ourselves. This experience and a couple more similar to it have really put a bad taste in my mouth concerning the "dedicated hunter" program. A majority of these people only show up to "put in their time" and don't give a damn about what kind of work they do. My opinion is that people use this program to take advantage of special hunting opportunities but don't give a damn about what its real purpose is.

There's my rant for the day.

WELL TYLER

THERE ARE SOUR GRAPES IN JUST ABOUT EVERY & ANYTHING I GUESS!!!

BUT THERE ARE AND HAVE BEEN SOME PROJECTS ACCOMPLISHED ONLY WITH THE HELP OF DEDICATED HUNTERS,SOME PUTING IN ALOT MORE THAN JUST THEIR 24 REQUIRED HOURS!!!

YOU SHOULD OF GOT THE NAMES OF THEM JOKERS AND CONTACTED THE DWR,MAYBE THEY COULD OF ISSUED THEM JUST 1 HOUR???

AS FAR AS 'SPECIAL HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES' THAT YOU MENTION CONSIDER THIS:WE CAN'T TAKE AS MANY DEER AS THE AVERAGE JOE,WE CAN HUNT ALL 3 WEAPON SEASONS,I RARELY GET TO HUNT MORE THAN ONE SEASON,AND NO I DON'T BUY THE OLD LADY A TAG EITHER,IF SHE DECIDES TO HUNT SHE BUYS HER OWN TAG & HAS HER OWN GUN!!!

THERE ARE JOKERS OUT THERE 'USING' THE SYSTEM!!!

REMEMBER,SOME OF THEM JOKERS DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A FENCE IS,BUT THEY ARE LEAGAL TO PACK A GUN,A LITTLE SCARY AT TIMES!!!

WHAT THE DWR SHOULD OF DONE IS MADE THEM PAY THE HOURLY RATE,BUT THEY'VE PROBABLY GOT RICH MOMMY'S & DADDY'S AND THAT WON'T TEACH THEM ANYTHING EITHER!!!

I DON'T HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS,NEVER CLAIMED I DID!!!

NO I'M NOT MAD AT YOU,I'VE DEALT WITH JOKERS ALL MY LIFE,I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE SAYING,I'D OF BEEN PISSED TOO!!!

THE ONLY bobcat NOT INTIMIDATING NOBODY!!!(THATS FOR YOU INTIMIDATOR37!!!)

I like the idea of 8 hours of service or even 16. Out of staters should be able to do community service in their owne state and transfer their time into the state that they want to hunt.
As far as people not doing quality fence work, we've got to remember that hunters come from all walks of life and many have probably never done any kind of work with their hands in their life. I wouldn't expect a stock broker to know how to build my fence. Theirs not many people out their that I would trust to build my fence anyway. But the point is, anybody can try hard to do a good job, wether they do or not is up to every individual.
fatrooster.

D13er here in Arizona deer are few and far between I'm just trying to say is that it would of been easy for me to shot his deer as well as mine but by leaving his tag unfilled I increased his chances for next year when he has more experience and is better prepared I know that most hunters would do the same. I hope other parents who hunt with their children do follow suit CM

I agree, I'm from Iowa orginally and the "party hunting" in Iowa is legal. You can have 10 tags and one person can shoot 7 deer and be legal. I am from Iowa and moved to Arizona 19 years ago, became a stock broker. You are right, the people I work with can not build a fence nor would I want them to. I do consider myself lucky to know one end of a fence strecher from the other.

First post,
Love to Hunt
AZRHODES

People will always find ways around the law. Who's to say they don't bring their wives and children along. If they'd stoop to the level to get tags illegally, whats to stop them from involving others. You don't think the guy doing it isn't going to have his wife come along and help with the work?? Here in colorado it is a felony to get tags in that manner. Needless to say people still do it. You think a little work is going to stop them??

Well I have brought this concerns to my local RAC and they are to talk about it state wide in Utah and see if there is something that can be done, I hope something is done to eliminate some of the party hunting that goes on. I just think that performing 8 hours of service will eliminate those that don't want to hunt, the wife, daughter, daughter in law, and this will allow the serious hunter to hunt, and to increase our odds of drawing out. There needs to be something done about the limited entry draws, because you know that Joe Blow is putting everyone he knows into the hunt. They should make us pay the money first and if we are unsuccessful then give our money back. but if we are successful take the money and make limited entry tags perform 16 hous of service, in the area they put in for.

....or you can pay the $280 LE elk fee and they do their damn job.

Slave labor for the DWR? Piss on that. Go volunteer. You will get the jobs they never wanted. I know how that system works.

What do you mean do their job. Lets see you cover two mountain ranges, a limited entry unit, and the reservation in 40 hrs a week. There is only 1 conservation officer in this area and we expect him to do all the miracles in 40 hrs a week. Lets get real here. You might kuss them but like I said lets see you do everything the public expects them to and what they have to do in just 40 hrs a week.

Just what I said. Do their job.

I am not paid to cover anything. If their is one conservation officer for 2 ranges, a LE, and a reservation and he cannot do it, then that sounds like an internal problem to me. He needs to talk to his boss. Not have some doofus proposing a unpaid 20,000 person workforce.

Ok guys I know I am going to get slammed, but here's my two cents on Utahs dedicated hunter program. It is a big mistake! For a few measely half a$$ed days of work hunters are allowed to hunt all three seasons. That is too much hunter opportunity for our struggling herds to handle and I'll tell you why. It puts a lot of inexperienced hunters in the field during archery season. Half of these guys borrowed a bow from their friends dads brother and haven't practiced enough to be competent with their weapon. So they make a poor shot on an animal and it runs off. Well they have two more seasons to hunt so no use tracking that one down. Next comes the muzzleloader season and you have the same exact scenerio, but this time they are only "scouting" during the season. But really they are mostly there to mess the other guy up so he dosn't have an opportunity at the animal. I have been there and seen all of this first hand. Now I am definately not saying that any of the hunters on this site are the same as my example, but I know this happens a lot. I'm off my soap box for now.

You are not going to get slammed by me straight.

The original post states party hunting needs to end. Agreed. That and the dedicated hunter, premium elk tags, and those who feel grandfathered into the general deer season. They go tag or no tag. However, there is a big difference between party hunting and someone's daughter applying for a tag and shooting an animal.

My problem is the gripes about opportunity, they get opportunity, then they try to squeeze people out by proposing asinine things like 16 hours of community service to hunt or premium tags or dedicated this or dedicated that. Piss on that!

Go change the world ckat, but don't get me a job I do not need or want. I can get my own job and it will pay a helluva lot better than your plan. Thanks anyway.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom