Need unit 61-76 elk opinion please

oldmossback

I have 10 resident points and cannot decide between unit 76 first elk rifle or unit 61 1st elk rifle. I have never been to either area. What advice or opinions do you guys have on these 2 units. I am looking for a bigger than average bull but dont get too into the scores. Thanks in advance.

I had the first rifle tag a few years ago in 61. If you don't pattern or find the bull you want by opening day he'll be in one of those nasty hard to kill canyons. The biggest problem with this tag is the many cow elk hunter you have to contend with. If you can, muzzleload the hunt.

I saw a bull that would have fit your bill on opening day of second season in 61. He was, as Mr Fly predicted, in the bottom of a very nasty canyon. If you draw look me up and we'll talk about it.

I don't know anything about 76.

Bean

Both of those hunts you would be happy with. In 61 you will have to contend with lots of cow hunters and have to get down in the bottoms of the canyons and down in the thick oaks.
In 76 you are hunting a huge area of mostly high country. You will have no problem finding animals as they will be out in wide open above timberline. You will have a great hunt either way. There are above average bulls in both units.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Ok so now I am undecided again. I have herd some good things about 76 and sure like rocketmans pics every year but cant decide. Which unit has easier access? I would rather deal with less people of course. After waiting 10 years I just dont want to eat tag soup..

I would like to tell you 76 just to keep the numbers in 61 down 61 is my choice I will , should draw and archery tag this next year (10 points)I hunted with a friend first rifle and the elk were amazing there were BUGLING bulls everywhere, passed on 7 bulls the first day all 5 points and better, took a good 6x6 the second day,yes we were at the bottom of thoes nasty canyons and yes the elk were there, the cow hunters were not...PM me if you want more info..

Unit 76 ,go several days early locate 2 or 3 bulls you want and smack one down the first morning. I have never met anyone who hunted 76 and was not happy with the hunt but I have met a lot of pissed off hunters in 61 mostly because they spent all summer scouting only to have cow hunters rearange every bull they located. They will get pushed around in 76 but not as bad thats why you hunt before season and shoot opening morning.If you are out of state I would try to come a week early for ether unit and have a plan A,B,and C ready.They both have a lot of great bulls but I confess I prefer the high country myself.

I am a resident and live about 3 hours away from either area. I will be able to get there about 2 days before season. I am sick of hunting units with lots of people. I have no idea where to even start in unit 76 though

I hunted ute creek dranage 4 years ago but we had horses but I know several people who did real good on the west side of the unit with out.I don't know about the east side it may be good just never met any one who hunted it.The local DOW guy could tell you but it may take a couple of trys to get him to call back.Also I hear that in 2010 only we can keep any extra points not needed to make the draw that could have a little influnce on your choice.Also keep in mind snow could be a factor in 76,.61 will be alot warmer and little chance of any real snow.If the points thing is true I may be down there myself with my wife ,she has a ton of points and the north west units have just got stupid at 15 points. She can almost hunt 76 twice!!Remember ether way scout alot ,I like that part, hunting with no pressure and warm weather too.

Hey guys I got to thinking and I have a question. Correct me if im wrong, Why would there be cow hunters in 61 stering things around if it is 1st rifle season which is a bull only season?

OMB, Sorry but it's not like the NW corner Units 2, 10, 1& 201. They are earlier and are bull only. 61 would be much better IMO if they made first rifle that way too. But that's the way it goes. Cedar

Never set foot in 76. Hunted 61 archery in 08. Tremendous amount of bulls!!!! And as thick as the oak brush zone is, not sure how many cow hunters would impact you. For rifle I'd think those steep, nasty, narrow canyons is where you'd wanna be anyways. Since I didn't rifle hunt it I can't really comment on anything other than good numbers and after seeing several 310-320 bulls, it has quality by Colorado standards.

Been in 76 several times 61 once. I would go with 61.
However? There is a?Draft Proposal? Should go final
In DEC. For a very limited early bull hunt in 76. Oct 1 to
Day or so before current 1st rifle starts.. I support this hunt.
I will never Wait out the point creeps, to hunt it myself ,but this will Be a very high quality hunt available for high # PP folks. I do not believe
10 PP?s will have any chance at this new tag.

Tomichi,

That is outstanding, at least for those who have the points. I've been building points to hunt 61 but I draw the unit I hunt every year as a second choice anyway. So, I'm not missing out on any hunting by building points.

BeanGrinch

what is the deal with private property in 61? I hate having to tip tow around private property and seeing no trespassing signs over every ridge. Is that an issue in 61?

Unit 61 is primarily public land.

Oldmossback, no offense, but you said that you live within 3 hours of both units. The best thing you could do is go spend time in both units and make your decision based on what you see. That's a lot of points to be burning based on the opinions of others. Spend some time in the units yourself and learn what they have to offer. You'll be much more likely to end up with a hunt you enjoy.

I hope as stillhunter mentioned that they are bringing back the bank point system, I have been fighting to get this back since they did it a couple years ago. Back to the subject though I helped my brother a few years ago in 61 and on the second day shot a 6x7 that grossed 357. He was very happy with it. We saw several other big bulls one that I thought would go over 370. We made the hunt harder than it was but that is how we hunt. I have 17 points because I worked on ranches were I could hunt in a general unit and still gain a point. This is why I would like to see the bank system come back into play. My brother has friends that have hunted 76 and done very well but they have used horses. And me personaly do not know anything about 76 but was impressed with 61.

Snuffy, Just talked to the dow yesterday and no points banking is in the forcast. Sorry. I would like that also.

Colorado oaks: Yes I live within 3 hours of both units and also work 6 days a week and have 2 kids. I get out when I can but have not been able to get down there. and dont exactly have alot of money to spend on gas or a hotel to scout if I could get time off. Are the elk there year around or do they migrate or need snow to pust them in 61?

HMH sent you PM, Moss Back the elk are there year round if anything they move down in winter to the Delores private or jump the top to the Delta side.

For what it's worth; Couple of my best friends used their points to finally draw 76 archery this past season. They hired a outfitter to pack them into the outfitters drop camp where they, along with a provided cook, would hunt from, on their own. During the hunt, they saw plenty of sign in the timbered canyons around camp but few Elk, fewer bulls, and only a couple opportunities with one small bull taken between them.

I asked one of hunting above timberline and he said that it was a full days hike to get there. These guys were in top condition and needless to say, they were Very disappointed after waiting all these years. They have both hunted elk together for many years now and claim that they've had far better hunts with OTC tags going DIY. I'm just saying...

Joey

My opinion is that area 61 is very over-hyped in terms of trophy quality. It took 15 NR points for my 2008 tag (1rst rifle). My friend and I hunted with the Garvey Brothers out of Nucla. There were 6 of us in camp, and all of us tagged out by day 4. The bulls ranged in size from 295 to 260. From what I saw this was the typical mature bull for the area.

That being said, it was a great hunt. Lots and lots of elk. We hunted both private and public land. I don't think access would be much of a problem. However, if you killed a bull a few benches down from the divide road, it would be quite a pack back to the truck.

Best of luck to you in the draw!

Sageadvice that sucks that that outfitter led those guys astray. In september it all happens at or near timberline in 76.We camped at 11000 ft and saw 12 to 18 bulls 5 pt and better every day ,one after noon we stood IN CAMP and glassed 9 bulls.A guy I know hunted this year 1st rifle scouted a lot in september and with glasses and spotting scope would see 15 to 30 6 pt or better in a week end from his ATV, and yes many of them were a 4 to 8 hour hike. But they are high ,they are hard to get close to some times but they are there .Hard hunting though ,myself and my partner each lost 10# in 8 days and it wasn't for lack of food!!

stillhunting, i figured that they didn't get the best from their area or outfitter but my bud is taking it in good spirits. I turned him on to MM and all the daily pic's that were being posted of all those 76 high country bulls and believe that got him even more fired up for his hunt. We both know that nothing is guaranteed though. Asked if he was going to pitch a fit over the quality of his hunt, he said no and is looking forward to next years draws, he has tons of points in lots of states for many critters. Good man!

Glad to hear of your good fortune. Sounds like a dream hunt!! :)

Joey

Asking for an opinion???? 61!!! Get your money for your points and get there a week early and do it right.

When I drew the archery with 13 NR PPs, a LO tag for that hunt was $6,500.00. I figured each of my points was worth $500.00.

And I'd do it again for half that. In fact, if someone wanted to guarentee their tag sales, I'd commit to buying that tag for $3,250.00 a year for each of the next 5 years. Along with this year's NV hunt, the absolute best elk hunt I've had in 32 years of chasing them critters.

Any takers????

>between 76 and 61 which unit
>yields easier access and less
>private land?

Have not hunted either, but from what I hear: 61 has eaiser access and 76 has more public land. But as stated, there is still plenty of public in 61.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I will be in unit 76 this year for elk by the looks of it, and I am also looking to get my hands on a buck tag during the same time. Does anyone know of any land owner tags for sale in 76 for deer?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-10 AT 11:08PM (MST)[p]I have a chance of drawing a bull tag in unit 76 in a few seasons and I'm going to scout it out next summer. Not sure what rifle season yet. I've never been in this unit and I'm wondering where to start? If anyone would be willing to share info please pm me.

Colo, I will be able to draw this unit in 1st rifle this year and cant seem to get any info on where to start either. Guess noone is talking. If I hear anything I will let ya know what I see. I am leaning more towards unit 61 1st rifle so far.

I would hunt 61, no questions asked. I seen bulls every where when I hunted deer there second season. I will never draw that hunt in my life time again so if you want some info on where to go, send me a PM I will help you out.

The first two times I hunted 61 it took two points to draw(early rifle) I am amazed and dismayed at what has happened. Its a good hunt, but how good depends somewhat on the weather, I think the two areas have predominantly different terrain, thats what I would base my decision on.

I have never been right in area 76 but I know there is lots of alpine,high country, typical of the San Juan mountains, but there may be hunting in the lower country also. 61 has no alpine country, its pines and aspen, thick oak, sagebrush and P.J.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom