nephews first kill

crazeymaez

Very Active Member
This is my nephew Jacob.I took Jacob to hunter safty last winter and he passed.Now it was time to put him in for the hunts
He got lucky and drew a tag.

This was a very demanding first hunt as we travel from the house and stay in the field all day.Taking a midday nap in the jeep.And getting home to eat some dinner and back at it at 4am
But he was a trooper and stuck with it.

We passed on a few forks during the hunt in search of a BIG one
But it never happened.This last week a co-worker told me a spot to check out.So on Friday I left work to check out his spot.
Remember the hunt resumes on Weekends.

So I hike to this spot and see a few does and a couple forks.
I watch a fork trailing a doe.I think to myself.I guess this is whos doing the breeeding.Then I lift my binos and glass into the aspens and there is a giant he comes out and chases the does 50 yrds from me giving me every shot angle in the book.

What an awesome site he had 6 points per side with an inline on each side and pushing 30".

So you can imagine my excitement when I arrived home.With the pending storm,I didn't know if it would help me or hurt me.
I returned Saturday morning to 5" of fresh powder.I hiked,glasssed,looked and looked somemore.Their tracks had been covered by the snow and I could never turn him up.

We retuned to the same area this morning and it was crunch time as it was the last day.I glassed up Jacobs buck and got him in position for a shot.But the buck knew something was up and stayed obscured by the brush.Every time I found Jacob a good rest the buck would move leaving us without a shot.

Finally I asked my nephew if he felt comfortable freehanding it.
He found him in the scope took it off safty,found his window
and dropped him.Congrats on your first kill hito.

Out on a hike

DSCN1080.jpg

DSCN1081.jpg

Jacob and uncle hopper

DSCN1085.jpg

Congrats to Jacob! I got to start taking advantage of being a youth and start putting in for these types of hunts before it's too late. Ha Ha. I think my little bro put in for this tag but no luck. Anyway... way to go. Nothing like mule deer in rut. By far my most favorite animal.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-11 AT 07:38PM (MST)[p]Congrats on a pretty Buck! Bigger than my first. And good shooting!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom