Nevada 061, 062, 064, 071, 073 Antelope...

Hammnit

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-10 AT 10:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-10 AT 10:51?AM (MST)

Folks,
I drew the rifle hunt for these units as my fifth choice this year. I put in for this hunt thinking that it would be a fun hunt to take my two oldest girls (ages 5 and 7)along with me and have a somewhat laid back fun hunt. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these units? I'm not expecting to kill a trophy, but I would like to look over a few before pulling the trigger. I understand that this is not considered a top flight unit, but I'm curious as to how the overall numbers and trophy quality ranks out with other Nevada units.

I plan on scouting a few days before the hunt, so any ideas on general areas to start out with would be much appreciated as well. Like always, no honey holes expected.
Thanks a bunch,
Hammnit

Sorry, Guess I need to read the heading a little better!
I drew that tag in 2007. It was a fun hunt! Just going off memory, I hunteg unit 61, north of White Horse resivoir about 10 miles. I went out on a scouting trip a month before the hunt and saw alot of antelpoe, and some great bucks' but there was a big fire and they had moved around and were harder to find. I still saw plenty but not that many real big ones. Hunted five or six days and took a great looking buck with good mass and he hooked back real good but was a little short. I also had my kids with me and we all had a great time. Good luck!!

Hunter,
I've heard from more than one person about how the fire moved the animals around. Some claim that it made it better for the antelope.

I plan on scouting prior to the hunt at least a few days. Hopefully I can sort it out.
Thanks,
Hammnit

Hammnit,

My buddy got back to me and he said he camped at Wildhorse Res. and with you doing the family vacation that it would be a nice place for you to camp. He hunted mainly north and some south of there for the most part. Like always, water sourses was where he found the biggest concentrations but he did say there was lots of small bands spead pretty much throughout all the units. He would try set-ups to and from the water. Of course he was hunting archery so a little difference there. He saw plenty of bucks and a few really good ones so he said he thought with a rifle you would do well. He said keep your eyes out not far from Elko also, as there is always a few down by I80 that people would just drive by? but again, that was during archery season.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom