Nevada 41/42 Muzzleloader Deer - First out of state hunt!

jakeaba

Hey all,

I got a returned tag for a muzzleloader hunt in Nevada (41/42). I am scrambling to try and find info and E-scout. I am a new hunter and was not expecting to win anything with my entries, but my 1 point did the trick on a return tag.....I spoke to the biologist down there and he made it sound pretty dismal. I am trying to weigh whether its worth it to drive down. I am stationed in Oregon and can hunt the same week locally during deer/elk archery season. I know I will learn alot going down there, so I am leaning that way. I dont care about antlers much, I am just trying to learn how to get my own meat. This is my first western hunting season after waiting for 20 years to meet someone who would show me the ropes. Youtube and forums like this have been a huge help in self teaching.

Thanks!

Jacob

41/42 has a lot of country with very few deer. Probably not the best unit for a newer hunter but there are definitely deer to be found, and some really big ones too. Optics are a must and will save you lots of tough miles. Roads are rough and there are many very remote areas in the unit.
Go in with the right mindset and you can have a great hunt. You will not see many deer on this hunt. If you work hard, you should be able to find a buck over the course of a week. Getting in Muzzy range will be another challenge. Good Luck!
The hunt info sheet on the NDOW website says there are deer on every mountain range in the unit and I agree for the most part. E-Scout the mountain ranges and look for water sources for a good start.-------SS

Thank you, sir! I will start looking for deer at all water sources and I'm assuming shade.

This would be the first western deer I have harvested, so I don't need to find a trophy....just looking for an adventure and experience. Thanks again for the help!

I would go to the highest mountains, then glass from the top to the bottom. Then glass again and again. You are looking for a needle in a haystack......but it might end up being a big-ass needle!

Have fun!----SS

If you find a deer track, walk it out until you find the deer. A buddy had the archery hunt several years ago, saw a doe and two tracks.

If you have the time off and it doesn’t stretch you financially at all then just go. Expect to have a fun camp trip and hope to find a deer. Go with low expectations and it will be a blast! If nothing else you should learn something. If you enjoy hiking it’s going to be fun. Hunters see things no one else will. Find a creek and sit on a hill across from it and glass at first light.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom