Nevada Desert Ram

It all started with a phone call from my younger brother on the Friday before Memorial Day. He said I had drawn a sheep tag. I was in disbelief until I saw the results for myself. The unit was only an hour and a half drive from my house in Las Vegas which allowed me to make at least 7 or 8 scouting trips before the hunt. During our scouting trips, we found several nice rams in different areas but knew they would likely move after the rut.
My dad and I setup camp the weekend before the opener and also did some scouting but couldn't turn up any shooter rams. Opening morning we hiked into a spot where we knew sheep liked to hang out but probably wouldn't get much pressure from other hunters. Four hours into the hunt, we spotted what looked to be a nice ram almost a mile away and halfway up the mountain. We made our way closer to get a better look and decided he was worth a closer look. I began my hike up the mountain while my dad stayed back to keep an eye on him.
I was able to stalk within 400 yards of him but couldn't get a clear shot of his vitals for roughly two hours. He was bedding and feeding in a canyon which made a stalk any closer difficult. Luckily he and another smaller ram worked their way towards me giving me a shot at 250 yards. Seeing him that close left no doubt that he was a nice ram but knowing that it was opening morning and I may not ever draw a tag like this again made for some hesitation. I decided to pull the trigger. Walking up on him was one of the most special moments in hunting I've experienced and the fact that my dad was there to experience it with me made it unforgettable.
Game and Fish estimated him to be 9 years old but recorded him as 8 based on the actual rings in place. They scored him at 164 2/8" gross and 163 7/8" net. Thanks to dad, Mike Fenner and Bobby Jelone for all the help.
5591image.jpg

1941image.jpg

5789image.jpg

7532image.jpg

4316image.jpg

He is a awesome ram...congrads you did great with him

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

What a Ram! I love those big chunks missing from the horns, those are some hard impacts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom