Nevada Draw Question

300RemUltra

Fellow Hunters,

Already looking forward to next year!!!! Sitting here watching the game and wondering how the NV draw system works. I am a non-res so tags are limited for us.

So my question is I have 7 points for deer, if I put in for a unit that has only 2 tags and I am not lucky enough should I even list a second choice (what about a third)? Will my points apply towards my second choice. All these states have different systems. Anyone with the knowledge.

In Nevada you get to choose the top 5 areas you would like to hunt. Once your draw number comes up the computer goes through all 5 choices starting at the top before going on to the next application or draw number. If there are any remaining tags for any area you put in for then you will be in business. The more bonus points you have the better your odds of drawing a tag. Go to Huntnevada.com, it is explained in much better datail:) Good luck!

you must put in for 5 areas not just one or two. if you have points thay will apply to them all. but watch out make sure that you are puting in for unit that you want dount blow them all on a tag you dount want.

with 7 points, your name will go into the hat 50 times. the way the system works is they square the number of points, 7^2=49 plus 1 because you are applying that year for a total of 50. again make sure you are sure about the area as to not waste the points. i made that mistake a few years ago and got a crap antelope unit. regardless, the apps wont be due until mid april so you have plenty of time.

Happy Hunting

It is true they square the points, but your name isn't in the hat 50 time for the draw. The way the lottery works is NV has a starting number that is randomly picked by a computer. For example, the starting number may be 15,999. You have 50 chances to draw a number close to 15,999 without going over. Your lowest number to the random number will be your draw number for the entire draw. That is when the draw begins. That is why you hear of a guy or gal drawing 3,4 or sometimes 5 big game species in the same year for NV. That would personally bankrupt me if that happened.

You don't have to put in for all 5 choices, but if you do, make sure they are all areas you would hunt. You definately don't want to blow your points on an area you don't REALLY want.

Best of luck to you and everyone on the upcoming draw.
Fly

> You don't have to put
>in for all 5 choices,
>but if you do, make
>sure they are all areas
>you would hunt.

This is correct BigFly. I have only been putting in one area (first choice only) for deer ever since I can remember because it's the only area I care to hunt.

I have been putting in for area 161 early elk for as long as I can remember. For some oddball reason, I put in for all 5 choices this year and drew the Ely tag. It's really hard to be disappointed when you draw a bull tag in this state. And then to top it off, I shot a little guy. Looks like back to the waiting game.
Fly

You only get one number in the draw. The squaring just gives you that many shots at getting a low number. Then your number gets put in line and you wait your turn and hope there are tags left by the time the computer gets to your name.

Later,

Marcial

go with all five fill spots. betters your odds

~818j Amature Rider~
?Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides know they're in the game.?

If there are five areas you want to hunt then i would put down all five choices. If on the other hand you've been holding out for a particular area you know and have been dying to hunt i'd hold out. I know the waiting game sucks but personally i'd much rather wait it out and get a tag i truly want versus just listing units to get a tag in some area i dont really know nor want and then end up having a discouraging hunt. Remember that once you draw those points are gone so choose wisely.

Tell me if my logic is right here. I want to kill a sheep period! I don't care if it is small. Based upon the NV statistics, I know a unit that few people put down for their first choice because the rams are so small. Based on what you guys are saying, I should pick my favorite most in demand unit first and work my way down to the my fifth choice which would be the unit with small rams discussed above because the draw isn't done unit by unit, its done application by application. Is my logic correct? Thanks.

james-wvu,your logic is correct.Put in for the unit you want the most and work your way down,but remember that you could easily draw your 5th choice so make sure that all your choices are ones that you won't get mad about if you draw.Also,you do not have to fill out all 5 choices.Put down 3 or 4 if that is all you want.Good luck.

If you have 5 areas that you what mix it up. like put your #1 area frist so on but doun't put the one that would be your lest fav last becuse you have a better chance of geting your last area that you put in the box. make since

To the best of my knowledge this is how nevada's bonus points system works. As bigfly mentioned above the number of bonus points you have are squared and then one is added. This is how many random numbers that hunter is assigned(example 7 points-7^2 = 49 + 1 = 50 random numbers assigned to that hunter). Then as mentioned above it is your lowest number that is actually put into the draw. So even though you were assigned say 50 random numbers, only the lowest number from that set is placed in the draw. Now that number only applies to the draw for which the bonus points were for. If it was for antlered mule deer than that number only applies to the antlered mule deer draw. That number is not put into any other draw for any other species, contrary to what someone above stated. When the draw starts the computer comes up with a random set of numbers for the corresponding tags. Now the actual draw as i understand it goes like this. Lets say numbers 12000 - 12500 are for the area 6 early rifle hunt. Well if it is your first choice and you happen to have a number that falls within that range, say you have number 12100, then you have drawn the tag. Now say you didn't draw. Maybe you had number 13450. Well if you put down area 7 early rifle as your second choice the computer will then check to see if your number falls within the number range for that area. Lets say that the number range for that area is 13100-13700. Well your number falls within that range so you drew the tag. If for example you put down a third, fourth, and fifth choice and you didn't draw your second choice then the computer will keep checking to see if your number falls into the other number ranges for your other choices in the order you applied. To the best of my knowledge this is how the draw is done. The division of wildlife site doesn't help out much either as to an explanation. Basically it all comes down to luck and whether you draw the right number for the areas you've applied. Sure bonus points help out alot but they don't assure anything they only help to give you more chances of drawing that lucky number.

NV-32, I stand corrected. After reading your post I realized that it couldn't be possible to have a single draw number with points on some and no points on others. Thanks for clearing that up.
Fly

No problem Fly. I hope this helps to answer some of the questions out there. And like i said as far as how the actual numbering system goes i'm still not 100% as to whether it actually occurs how i explained. I was only describing it how i've interpretted it. Either way luck is ultimately the deciding factor, but putting down additional choices does help your chances of drawing a tag.

good grief i have been putting in and thought it was just a matter of making the appropriate sacrifices to the tag gods ;-) thanx for explaining it so cleanly 32

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom