Nevada Land “Swap”

NV87

This has been going around social media but I thought I would post it here as well. For those of you that aren’t aware the Gamble/Winecup Ranch (owned by Stan Kroenke under Kroenke Ranches) has proposed a land swap with the BLM which would transfer 84,939 acres of current ranch property in exchange for 235,054 acres of BLM land in Northeastern Elko County. The documents I’ve attached were received through a public records request to NDOW. If this transfer were to be approved the Gamble/Winecup Ranch could essentially lock up an entire swath of land from US 93 to the Utah border and with it some of the best elk and deer habitat remaining in Elko County. Western Land Group (on behalf of Gamble/Winecup) is giving their presentation at the NDOW Commission meeting this Friday 8/11. I urge anyone that can to either attend or call in and voice your opinion. If you can’t make the meeting in some form please pass this information on. This land transfer does nothing to benefit sportsman or the general public in the state of Nevada. We’re all getting sold out so one billionaire can play John Dutton in his spare time.

Attachments

• WCGR_Overview_Map.pdf
    349.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 477.WGR_NDOW_Slides.pdf
    11.7 MB · Views: 189
As a Co native I can tell you that guy is a chump! Can’t watch avs games for a few years cause he is squeezing pennys out of one of the providers or some contract bs. I really hope he doesn’t get this. Sounds like a load, 84k for 240k….

I’ve posted screen shots of the excel file and map provided to NDOW in case the attachments aren’t opening correctly. The other attachment contains the sales pitch that Western Lands Group provided NDOW.

IMG_4222.jpeg

IMG_4221.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha oh piss off! That is heavily checkerboarded. Bet my bottom dollar they are freaking out about the corner crossing thing. And if it goes through, they will be screwed! Hunters can then access land that they own?! Oh the tragedy! It won’t be the Yellowstone any more if people can actually access their publicly owned land…

No coincidence this will be held in fallon and not elko county where itd be easy for those most effected to attend. They didnt even try to make it enticing. Public just supposed to take it in the shorts for 150k acres so they can tie up and block access to that habitat. Which like was said, is some of the last good habitat not ravaged by wildfires and drought up that way.

The Elko CAB tried getting Western Lands Group to come to the most recent meeting in Elko for that exact reason. You hit the nail on the head though. Once they realized the proverbial “cat’s out of the bag” is when they decided to skip the local meeting because of the public backlash they would have received.

I fear that this "meeting" to voice your opposition is just that. You get to ***** about it, but bets are it's a done deal. Thats how Elko County/BLM seem to operate. I've been to a couple of these, and that's what it is. After all, think of the taxes they can collect. That said, I will do my part and make a call. Before the BLM can give away public lands, they ought to put it out as a vote. It is "public" supposedly.

Attend. There will be a negotiated "cash equalization" payment by Kroenke to BLM to equalize the values in light of the acreage discrepancy.

Land exchanges must "serve the public interest" and are audited.

Hopefully this exchange reaches the level of requiring US congressional action and we will get our input at that step. Otherwise it is Biden's BLM team that decides. These happen somewhat frequently and do not always require a bill in Congress.

All that checkerboard is worthless to both parties (hunters/ranchers)no? Seems like a crock though. Welfare ranchers are the worst. I root against John Dutton when I watch Yellowstone.

Worthless? Absolutely not, you and I can access a lot of that land that would be off limits if this goes through. They get to run cows on all of it which I have no problem with. The problem I have is there is a ton of public that holds great hunting opportunities that would disappear over night.

Last edited:
Man if that deal goes through it’s crazy, my dad tried to do a land swap with bureau of reclamation where he gave up 180 acres for 100 acres and they weren’t interested. How is it possible this they expect to be able to swap 1 for 3 essentially

Follow the lobbyists money..It's how penniless Harry "we lost this war" Reed made his millions.

Why on gods green earth would our representation go for a plan with this kind of acreage discrepancy. BLM/County hopefully understands the value of public land, which is priceless. If they wanted to trade apples for apples, this would be a more enticing deal. Did anyone make it to the meeting, what was the spin was used to promote this as a good deal for the public?

We own a 0.3 acre swath of land in Vegas. I’m considering a land swap for 5,000 acres in unit 262. How do I get the ball rolling? ?

It’s unbelievable that this swap could possibly even come up for conversation. As others have said in so many words, this Kroenke guy has to have his hand in the BLM’s pockets. BS!!!

When is the “decision” supposed to be made?

Let's hope this doesn't go through. I'm hunting elk this year just south and east of that ranch in 091. there's a ton of issues getting access to good BLM land because of private ownership locking it all up. They claimed previous hunters vandalizing their property as the reason for locked gates. Turns out they get landowner tags that sell for around 25K each.

Let's hope this doesn't go through. I'm hunting elk this year just south and east of that ranch in 091. there's a ton of issues getting access to good BLM land because of private ownership locking it all up. They claimed previous hunters vandalizing their property as the reason for locked gates. Turns out they get landowner tags that sell for around 25K each.
Agreed!!!
The fact that they are pulling landowner tags I’m sure has a great deal to do with the lopsided swap as well.
I don’t know the law / rules for the landowner tags, but I’m fairly certain that the larger tracts of land earn a higher number of tags to be issued by the state.
WIN WIN for the landowner… meanwhile the NV hunters & non-residents lose out all the way around unless you are rich & can drop big money to buy a tag.

Stan Kroenke is a billionaire businessman that owns the LA Rams NFL, the Denver Nuggets NBA, Colorado Avalanche NHL and some soccer team of WSL along with a few minor league teams. So yes the guy is Washington DC connected. a 3 to 1 acre land swap is not good for NV. This proposal is the LARGERST land swap deal ever presented to congress (and yes this will take congressional approval) they have been working on this for the past 4 years and it is just now being made public.

Keep in mind the newly approved major power transmission line just approved from the west coast through this property on its way to UT. also note that those in congress don't see much value in scrub brush NV desert land....but several hundred thousand acres of such land would be a great location for miles and miles of solar panels. Solar panels that can quickly and easily tie into a new power grid transmission line. are things starting to come into focus yet?

get involved and voice your concerns

also of note Mr Kroenke is a wild horse advocate.....rumor is he may also hope to relocate thousands of captured horses to a portion of this land grab deal......what a nice gesture to tell the knuckleheads in congress.......sure I will make some money off the solar system but look how swell I am for taking care of the wild horse issue that no one has been able to fix.

wake up people.....people with deep pockets like Mr Kroenke have connections and make donations to people in DC that will control this transaction

Land trades happen from time to time and are based on the appraisal value of the acres being traded/consolidated. If the numbers don't add up then you have a problem.

This is the tip of the checker board parcel iceberg. If the courts hold up the ruling in Wyoming, the BLM will be very busy with these types of swaps.

Are there any roads in the trade areas that are R.S. 2477 eligible rights-of-ways that existed before October 1976 and had at least 10 years on continuous public access and usage? Those roads will be the best argument against the trade and access concerns. Also, BLM has to follow the multiple use and sustained yield mandates clearly articulated in the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA). Mining claims and grazing rights will be part of the equation. Keep a close eye on those. Both are under attack on any federal lands.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom