Nevada Ram 2013

bigbull1

Very Active Member
After being blessed with a Nevada Desert Bighorn tag while still being able to hike the mountains and having my youngest daughter Kristy re-arrange her schedule, I was able to take a 9-10 yoa ram.

Here is Kristy ducking winds below the ridge line during glassing rams;

9526img_0304.jpg

A couple of rams in the skyline on day 2;

7669img_0296.jpg

Having found two excellent rams, one got pushed out of a coulee by four immature rams. A huge stud that pushed 32" in length with mass disappeared off the ridge like big rams do as I was preparing for the shot. We looked hard the next day for that big ram who had 17 other rams nearby only to find big lion tracks! The tracks were identical to these that my brother-in-law Larry and I found the week before.

7801img_0270.jpg

On Sunday we found an old warrior feeding at the top of ridge near a rock face. After about an hour and twenty minutes of climbing one ridge down wind we crawled to a rock outcrop and found him on full alert with a smaller ram directly in front of him. As the sun was rapidly getting close to setting over the western mountains there was little time to waste. As the two rams increasingly got nervous, I made a lethal shot that took out the off shoulder. A follow-up shot was made for insurance and ram dropped out of sight. He was found quickly and was done.

7662img_0593.jpg

8802img_0335.jpg

I would like to thank my wonderful daughter for making a dream hunt memories of a lifetime. Many heartfelt thanks to Keith Montes and Gary Coleman of Nevada High Ridge Outfitters for finding so many rams to look at and putting me on a old warrior. Also thanks to Jim Billingsley of Jim Dandy Productions for filming the hunt and my brother-in-law Larry Berg for the scouting/hunting trip the week before.

Ed

That's pretty special to share a sheep hunt with a daughter! I've done it a couple times.
Congratulations on a successful hunt and a great old trophy ram!
Thanks for sharing,
Zeke

Very nice Ed,
Sheep hunting is special and even more so when you can share it with your off-spring.
Love to see the video if you ever want to share.
Congratulations

Congrats Ed on a great Old ram and including Kristy in the hunt/harvest! Glad you survived the frigid weather and safely getting off the cold dark mtn. I hope one day to include my kids in on a special hunt like you did. Kristy will get her turn on as Sheep hunter as you have laid a great foundation for her. Thanks for allowing me to scout/ hunt with you, you made it fun "Sheep Shopping"... Larry

Congrats again Ed on the nice ram and the other pictures as well.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

What a beautiful Ram and story! Thank you for sharing with us! Sheep hunting with family members are two precious things that should always be shared together!

Thanks again, and congrats on a fine trophy! Now go get a lion tag!

Tallbuck1

I had no idea Gary coleman was a sheep guide......you'd think he couldn't see over the cactus....besides...didn't he die????

Thanks so much for the kind words! It may be the pinnacle hunt of my life and I feel so fortunate to have it all come together with Kristy able to be there?

A couple more pics; Kristy and Jim after a glassing session
3141img_0308.jpg

And one more of the bighorn;
2519img_0330.jpg

Ed

Looks like a cold hunt, It makes it a lot better when your daughter makes the time to hunt with you.
Congrats on a great sheep and a great experience.

9 degrees was the high of the day; much colder on the mountain with winds 10-25 mph ....but it didn't matter !!!
The memories still burn so deep and bright in my memories, I may never be cold on anther hunt :)
Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom