New dogs

BigSimps

So I just bought two wire hair short hair pups, they are 14 weeks old, and I was wondering on some advice on owing hunting dogs, I have never owned dogs before. If anyone can tell me some good tips on training or just advice in general it would be great.

Wow, you're in for a real treat with new new high energy pups. LOL

Strict basic obedience training such as sit, stay, heel, and come are key to having a good sport dog. Then simply spending time with them but be consistent and persistent with their training and don't make your sessions to long. Have fun and good luck!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

4903img_20111119_131739.jpg

With two puppies it will take a lot of time, with each dog individually and together, and patience. Get a plan for how you want to train them but don't set a timeline as each dog will progress at different rates but set goals of what you want them to be able to do such as sit, stay, here, heel etc. and once they have that mastered then move on to the next goal. Also did I mention spend lots of time with them and have patience. I have a 1 yr old black lab female and it is very rewarding to see the results of all the time and patience that were used this spring, summer and fall training her. Good luck.

Its awfully tough to train two dogs. The problem becomes the dogs won't bond to you as easily as they bond to each other.

I've had/seen plenty of great dogs over the years- hog dogs, retrievers- and the best are always the solo dog that has a complete bond with its owner. They will tolerate other dogs but their focus is to please you. The basics of sit,stay, come, essentially ingraining them to your voice and the fact that you are the boss. Its bad form to have an unruly dog. If you can't call that dog back at a full run going away- he's not trained

There are many different ways to train bird dogs. There are tons of books and dvd's out there for the many different philosiphys of training. My suggestion would be to pick one of them and follow that training regiment as closely as possible. Learn to pay attention to what the dogs are telling you. Work with them individually Untill they are old enough and mature enough in their training to start backing another dog. Also the word NO should not be in your vocabulary if you ever intend to "whoa" break them. The two words sound very similar and often times it shuts the dog down when it is introduced and takes a bid to overcome this. There is so much that I want and could say but I guess you have to get out and do it. Start with the wing on a fishing pole. Never let them catch the wing. This will develop their point. Also get them retreiving. Start small and then go out further and further. Somtimes these dogs dont like to retreive so if you start young it may be eaiser when it comes to retreiving and force fetching them. I have no Idea how far you want to take the level of training with your dogs but good luck and have alot of patience. remember to always pay attention to what the dogs are telling you during training sessions and do not push them too far too fast or you may be sorry.

Where are you located? If you are close to me you are welcome to tag along with me when I train my string of dogs. I've got a few pups here that I'm training, and some older finished dogs as well. I'm training as a full time job right now, and would love to have some company. I would also be happy to talk to you on the phone if you would like, or if your not close to me, you might live close to one of my friends, who would also help you out.

That Shummy is a standup guy giving his services out like that to a MM member.Hats off to ya buddy. Wish I was close to him so I could tag along now and then. I have a guy who raises pheasants over here that is selling them for $10 they are mostly hens(300 or so) ,But I don't think the dogs would care.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

+1 Gator, I was thinking the very same thing about shummy stepping up like that. This IMO is what makes this site so outstanding. Shummy that's very awesome of you to make an offer like that.

Gator, question for you. I'm not sure if it can be done or not but do you have any idea if your buddy ships the Pheasants...live??

GBA

My offer is good for anyone who would like to take me up on it. I'm not the best trainer out there, but I've been pretty successful at it. I'm hesitant to write any advice on here, because much of it goes against what other guys have written here already, and I don't wish to offend anyone. I've been around bird dogs my whole life, and I would enjoy helping any of you out!

I'm sure there are a lot of great books out there, but the one I liked was "How to speed train your pointing dog", it was simple and to the point. My English pointer is 4.5 yrs and is doing great. Good luck

Unfortunately I live in S. Utah, I would be happy to try and answer any questions over the phone if you would like. Feel free to pm me if you want my contact info.

You might want to go to versatiledogs.com and look up some training books.

I wouldn't get too caught up on the website itself as dog people can't agree on ANYTHING, and it gets frustrating.

If you can get a hold of an Armbruster training manual from a drahthaar breeder, I think those are helpful as well.

To start with, like was said before, teach your puppies a word a week. Sit come stay kennel bed down etc, whatever you think of.

Build yourself a training table too. Helpful if you choose to force fetch.

Start now, hide pieces of hot dog or something around the house or yard. Drag one across the floor and around a corner. Tap your finger on the floor and make a sssck sssck sssck sound. This is imitating sniffing sounds dog make. Get them to put their nose on the floor and track to the piece of dog. Work up to long tracks. Also this is preparation for a "lost" bird in the field. You need them to find it, you have no track to start, you need them to start looking. The beginnings of true blind retrieves and tracking. Fun as heck too.

Try dragging a pheasant or chukar wing around outside, and they should instinctivly tract and point in the loction you hide the wing. Definately good times ahead for you and your'e doggies!

When we were kids we got a german shorthair pup. We did what we could to train her, but we didn't really have a solid program and some of the basics were never solidified when they should have been. We killed many a gambels quail under her points in Northern Arizona, but we had the darndest time getting her to come back to the truck when we wanted to leave! I wish we would have been old enough to do our homework and do the foundation stuff right.

I didn't read all of the comments. What I did see was key keep sessions short for young dogs. a thing you can get is a force collar and a long rope. When the pups are starting to do longer retrieves this will give you control. if you are going to use it all it takes is a QUICK pull. Since you are going to be using them as hunting dogs you can take a handfull of dog food let them smell it and then throw it all over the yard and us your command for them to hunt. They get the reward of having a piece of food and are learning at the same time. My lab is 8 and I still do it for her but I only throw a few pieces out and she loves it. bang pots and pans around them when they are having fun this will get them used to loud noises or have them around loud noises like air compressors and any other shop tool that makes loud noise. start off soft and get louder. It is hard to get a dog that is gun shy to no longer be gun shy. so like I said make sure they are having fun before the noise or have somebody do it from far away and walk closer doing every once in awhile. Get them on birds young. If any of your buddies hae dogs and they get birds ask them for wings. I let mine play tog of war with them but she also learned to stop when I was asking for the wing. I also trained mine to drop the bird with DROP, GIVE, OUT this way if one of your friends or kid is playing fetch they will not screw them up by changing their command. Woo them if you have hid a wing and you know they have winded it this helps their point. If they don't like ot bring things back to you. YOu could hae them in the house if you have a long hallway so the only place for them to go is down and back. If you have any questions PM or email I will see if I can help.

I'm no expert, having only trained my two dogs, one lab and one just like you have now. You will find a bunch of opinions and advice, most of it will be good but not all will apply to your dog. These are versatile breeds that can do many things if not screwed up. Yes I said they can do a lot if you don't screw them up. This isn't personal as I don't know you. Start by acknowledging what your primary goals are for the dog. Figure out based on that what they need to be trained for, Pointing, Retrieving(waterfowl/upland), Tracking, etc. It is my opinion that the training for a primarily waterfowl dog is different than for a primaily upland dog. All dogs need basic obendience, so start there with Sit, (Here/Come), Kennel, etc while you read and take them for walks.

One last thing, if you have never had dogs, they read more out of your body language than anything so pay attention to the message you send.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom