New Hunter finally going after muley's Unit 45

D

desertroamer78

I have been a long time lurker on the site, but now I decided to finally post since this will be my first mule deer hunt. I hunted whitetails in Alabama growing up but this will be new to me. I drew a 45 tag in the kofa refuge. The good thing about this unit is I live in Yuma so there will be many scouting trips between now and Nov.

I just a few questions. I have been google earth "hunting" and looking at water tanks."I have a GPS file with all the tanks". Should you focus on the tanks and how far will a muley typically wonder from tanks. I was thinking on scouting by looking down the washes that lead to some of the tanks. Do they typically utilize the tanks at night.

Also sorry for all the newbee questions but I will be looking into a set of binos for desert terrian do you want an 8X. Or is it better to go with a 10x for more power to search in the washes.

While you're in there chasing your mule deer, if you happen to see a nice ram in 45C, please tie him to a saguaro for me until Dec. Thank you.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

War Eagle in this house but I don't remember that as a disqualification in the forum rules. I might need to review the rules.

Tony, if I see anything promising in my future scouting trips in 45C I will let ya know. I don't think I want to wrestle a sheep to a saguaro.

Personally I'd go with the 10x binos as you'll probably be glassing at greater distances than you were accustomed to in AL. There are a ton of great options out there but I'd suggest checking out Vortex - they have several lines and I've owned a number of them. Fantastic glass at good prices and the best warranty program in the business. Disclaimer - I am not affiliated with Vortex in any way, just a big fan.

Enjoy your hunt and good luck!

I was planning on going with a set of vortex. I have read very good reviews on them. I was just unsure if it is better to go with a 10X or 8X.

>I was planning on going with
>a set of vortex. I
>have read very good reviews
>on them. I was just
>unsure if it is better
>to go with a 10X
>or 8X.

You'll be fine either way. Some people like the 8x for he larger field of view, but I find 10x out west is really the sweet spot for me - still can see a lot of territory but can get a little better look under distant trees, etc...

Those bucks do tend to water at night but will water at any time. I would concentrate within two miles of water. No matter which glasses you get puting them on a tripod makes them about 10 times more effective.

You are definately adventurous. Desert muleys are mentally tought to hunt. They are few and far between and there is no way to pattern them during the rifle hunts. They can go three days without watering especially in Nov when its not as hot. In that unit, you could go days without even seeing a deer. But the trade off is there are big bucks in the desert.

As far as binos... The best of the best use 15x's on tripods. You can get away with 10x's and a lot of guys do but the best desert hunters I know use 15's. Vortex Kiababs fit the bill but they are pricey. If I were in your shoes, I would start with a Nikon Monarch in 10 power for this first hunt and then if you like the desert, save for 15's. You can pick Monarchs up for around $250-$275 on ebay. Do not bother even getting out of the truck without a tripod. That little tool is an absolute must.

Get high and glass low and don't leave you spot till you find your buck. Those desert bucks will travel for water hole to water hole in big huge loops. You could see a buck on a tank 1 day and he might not visit that tank again for 9-10 days. Don't leave it to chance, if you find a buck you want, go after it. Don't think if you see him one evening that you'll find him the next day.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I just don't want to see you get discouraged right out of the gate. The desert can be hell on the neveres of the best Muley hunter. You have to have a very tough mind for the desert. Do not get discouraged! I know guys that have been hunting the desert for 30 years that still find it hard but then again, that's what keeps them coming back. Good luck to you!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

Here's a good test for you when you start learning to glass. Hang a white wash cloth, 1' squared, 2 feet up the base of a Palo Verde tree next time you out. Put it in a tree on the edge of a wash about 3/4 of a mile from a mountain you can glass from. Go back 3 weeks later and go straight to the mountain and start glassing, if you can find that wash cloth, you'll have a good start on trying to find a bedded buck in the desert. After you find the white one, do it again with a brown one.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

I don't know much but I do know if you don't have glass you are really handicapping yourself. I have killed a boatload of desert muleys without glass but now that I am older and wiser I would much rather sit on my arse and glass than walk 10 miles a day hoping to stumble across something.

As a new desert mule deer hunter I would suggest finding the transition areas between mountains and the flats. They usually will hold better numbers of deer. And occasionally you will find a big buck there but usually the flatter country is better big buck country.
Two miles to water is a good number. That gives a deer a pretty big home range. Washes make good migration routes but are hard to hunt.

So my advice to you as a newbie is palo verde, water and transition areas or rolling hills. It makes a very difficult task just a bit easier. And I am one of those guys that hate 15's. Just a personal preference but I use 10x42's and a spotting scope. Many guys prefer binos over spotters but I am an exception.

One last thought.....it takes a warped person like AZWALKER to appreciate desert mule deer but once they get in your blood it is addicting!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-12 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]If you are lucky like I have been and find a good mentor, you'll save yourself years of trial and error. Listen to what Creed has to say, he's one of those 30 year guys I mentioned. And yes... Every desert deer hunter I know has a screw loose. Thank God for the desert because if it weren't for that beautiful place most of these would be sitting in a dark room talking to themselves and cutting their arms with popcicle sticks.

Oh and Creed is the one exception on the 15x's comment. The guy is deadly with 10x's and a spotting scope. But then again, he's older than most of the hills he glasses from!

Thanks for all the helpful tips AZwalker and Creed. I do love being out in the desert and I think I will find the challenge of the desert hunt more to my style. My mom always use to tell me when I was growing up that I like to do things the hard way. So this should be perfect. I have a few mountain tranistion to large desert wash spots already google mapped and water holes close so I plan on focusing in those areas scouting. We have one good sporting/gun store here in yuma so I will check out different binos or make a trip to cabelas/basspro in phoenix.

The tip with the white rage then brown rag is a good training tool that I will be trying out.

Where a lot of guys get messed up is looking for the whole deer when glassing. When you are out there, you will almost never get a full veiw of a buck. It will be an ear, a muzzle, legs, a rump patch... You will only ever get to see parts of a deer. There is no better training than getting out and looking for deer. Creed and I have a friend that says that deer will actually shine a little in the desert. Don't always look in washes either, you can catch them bedded out in the greaswood as well. When you get out there and start scouting those tanks, pay close attention to how much sign you are finding and what sign you are finding. If you see lion tracks, steer clear because I can promise you the deer are. I love the desert myself and it is a great challenge. If it gets in your blood you'll be hooked forever. One thing I wholeheartedly believe is that if a guy can hunt the desert, he can hunt anywhere. It will try your patience and attention span but its an awesome place. Do not give up! Just when you think there isn't a deer within 100 miles, one will pop up. Good luck and keep us posted on how your scouting trips go!

I was reading that game cameras are not allowed in the refuge. I plan on calling to verify this. Thinks for the tips of not looking for a whole deer. That will help me alot.

I live in Yuma also, and I have a set of 15's that are vortex vipers. You are more than welcome to come and check them out. I have never hunted 45 because I choose to chase Coues instead of muleys, but a friend of mine hunts that unit every year. I would expect a letter from the fish and game to come with your tag. It will give you the location of a lot of the water holes and also tell you which roads are open and give some of the restrictions for the refuge. My friend and his group kill deer every year. Their hunting tactic is walking the desert washes and jumping the bucks out of their beds. Not my cup of tea but it seems to work for them. I know that glassing in that unit can be difficult because most of the deer stay low in the flats or rolling hills where glassing them is hard. Let me know if you want to check out the binoculars.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-12 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]Pretty cool offer, I'd take him up on it.

Another thing I would add. Glassing and hunting the flats is pretty hard to do alone. If you are up high glassing then try and head down into the flats after a buck, its darn near impossible to locate and stalk the buck you glassed. Once you are down on their level the advantage is completelythe bucks..just a thought.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom