New Mexico Elk Hunt???

• Thread starter Oregon Fishing Guide
  • Start date
O

Oregon Fishing Guide

Hey everyone,

I have been hearing a lot about muzzle loader hunts for elk in New Mexico and I thought I would go to the ones that could help us out the best and that is the MM group.

A buddy and I want to take our boys on a hunt but we have no idea about NM. I am sure it will take a lot of years to get drawn but that is okay we want to start doing that. Can any of you help us with the better units and areas to put in for? We want to start doing some research but I sure don't want a hunt like what my son and I went through this year. We are looking for hunts that we can do ourselves or maybe a reasonable priced drop hunt.

Thanks a bunch and with any worth wild help I would be more then happy to exchange info. for a fishing trip, if you ever got out in my neck of the woods. If you just want to email me and not put it on MM that would be great also. Thanks again, Jon

Oregon Fishing Guide:

There are no bonus or preference points in New Mexico so you can draw your first year, or any year if you are lucky. 15A and 15B (combined into 15 in 2003) are two of the more talked about units for muzzleloader elk, and are for the most part have always been primitive weapon only (bow and muzzleloader). Try running a search on "15B" on the "elk" forum and you can read some of the opinions on these units as well as some others. You can also access the 2003 NM proclomation from the MM website and check out these and other muzzleloader hunts.

Good luck!

Horniac

Hey there OFG , long time since we last talked , I remember when you bought your first front loader back a couple years ago . My old name was HUNTFEVER , but got a new e-mail and had to change names . Well the invite still goes , I can drop you a proclamation in the mail , and drawing here isn't as hard as most think , and we have some very exceptional units for muzzleloader hunts . Let me know how I can help , have hunted units 16b bow ,15a muzzle ,51 bow ,52 bow ,6a and 6c muzzle , and 4 rifle .I've never killed any big bulls , and only killed cows with my bow , but have seen some real brutes , and guided a couple guys to some real nice bulls , let me know and we'll talk ...Larry G

You might want to talk to Tommy Maldonado(crazeaboutcoues)
He is a regular on the site.. and he runs a pretty good service
that helps out of state non-guided hunters with scouting and general knowledge(camping spots, etc..) It is well worth it.
J-dawg

I agree with the posts here. The Gila region of NM Units 15-16 are great for the "Monster Bulls". I have not personally hunted Elk on the Southern West side of our state, but have been successful in the northern region. You will not find the monsters like the Gila, but you will find some rather large herds of elk near the Valle Caldera known as unit 6. I have hunted this unit before and found it difficult as the bulls move into the Valle Caldera which is now protected by the federal government and they allow minimal hunting. What I'm getting at is: When the hunting preassure picks up, the bulls run and hide where they are safe.

My next door neighbor is a guide and part owner of Ute Creek Outfitters. They offer hunts in Northern New Mexico which is located on private land near Costilla, NM. There are two great hunting spots that border this private land. Check out his web page at [email protected].

Best of luck in the draw!

BadBry

THE 15 UNITS HAVE LOTS OF HUNTERS AND PRESSURE FROM SOME BIG OUTFITTERS. UNIT 9 MOUNT TAYLOR HAS ALOT OF ELK AND SOME GREAT PUBLIC LAND, TRY THE CHECKER BOARD AREAS
IF YOUR MORE A TROPHY HUNTER AND DON'T NEED TO SEE ALOT OF ELK TRY UNIT 13. MONSTER BULLS, BUT NOT MANY!

Hey toddrice,

I hunted 13 a few years ago in an early October muzzloader hunt and once the weather cooperated we finally got into some Elk. I am thinking about appling for an archery hunt this year. We hunted just west of Datil and south of the highway to Quemado where the unit spills over just a little. That is a big unit. Where else is a good area to look there.

Jeff

The sawtooth mountains are good
Also try northwest of magdalina, south of the reservation and east of the Double HH ranch. I have also had luck way north near a place called red lake. 13 is a real tough unit
I lived in AZ for 38 years, but the two biggest bulls I have ever seen were in unit 13!

We have alot of deffernt hunts you can hunt in unit 13 give as a call and we will work with you

I agree toddrice,
There are a lot of big bulls there. We didn't see any monsters on our trip but i friend i know who has hunted a long time saw the biggest bull he's ever seen in 13 also. Very tough though i agree. Have you ever hunted 13 during the rut? (archery)

Jeff

I took a 6x8 350gross bull in 1995 during the archery hunt. I got permission from a rancher that had about 40k acres on the south side of the highway to hunt his ranch. There were bulls all over. Since then the ranch has been sold and the new owner keeps hunters off. But I still think with some effort it can be a great hunt, great genes

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom