New Mexico Ibex

bucklite422

I drew a tag for New Mexico Ibex. I am planning to do the hunt on my own. Wondering if anyone has done this hunt or has any tips. If so, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

do a search and you will get a good starting point

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Congrats on the tag. Get in the best shape of your life. I also recommend buying a mr lion tag for your time up there.

Google 'Zac griffith ibex'. He's got a couple of great videos that can give you some perspective of the rock.

Get proficient with your new smoke pole at as far as possible!

I've never hunted ibex in NM but have hunted them a couple times in Asia. They are the wariest mountain critters I've ever hunted. Be ready to bring your "A" game.
I also bought a Rem Ultimate and find it to be a very fine shooting iron. It doesn't have the classic muzzleloader look but it makes up for it with "ultimate" performance.
Congrats on a great tag.
Have fun and report back to us!
Zeke

The NM ibex hunt isn't really all they tough of a hunt physically. You can climb to the top of the rock in less than an hour and there are ibex crawling all over the mountain.
However, as Zeke mentioned, they are extremely wary which will make it somewhat of a challenge with a muzzle loader.
It is a fun hunt and they are amazing animals to watch climbing the rocks and sheer cliffs.
Good optics are the key. They are relatively small animals and blend in very well with the landscape. Here is my sons ibex from a few years ago when he was 14. He shot this one in the afternoon of opening day at 305 yards. We had a large group with 6 good billies within 60 yards opening morning, but he couldn't decide which one to shoot before they spooked and ran off.

6311img_3802.jpg

Here is an example of how difficult they are to spot. I showed this picture to some fellow hunters here at the office and they spotted a half dozen of the easy to see ibex.

313img_3791.jpg

Then I showed them this picture!!!

130img_3791a.jpg

Bucklite,
Get in shape! You might be able to climb the LITTLE Florida's in an hour, but be assured, the Big Florida's are an entirely different story. There are a few goats on the little ones but the main herd is on the big mountain! That hill will test the most hardcore hunters in ways they never would imagine. Congrats on your tag. Make the most of it. Enjoy your time. I've been there three times on bowhunts. Incredible species that will make you an addict or a hater. No in between on this one!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom