New Mexico late archery hunts

Foothills12

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-08 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]I was looking into putting in for a late non-res archery hunt either mule deer or coues, it really doesn't matter. I know 2B and 2C are supposed to be great areas for muleys but wanted other choices to consider. I have no problem backpacking or hunting on foot that is what I prefer. I'm not really much of a trophy hunter but would like to see some nice deer. Also, I will be hunting public land so I would probably need a decent amount of public property. If any of you have any experience with the late archery seasons hunting coues or muleys please let me know because the deadline is nearing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Alright guys I narrowed down a list based on access to land, success ratio and the number of residents putting in. The units are 22, 26, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 36, 37. Come on guys somebody has to help me out. I'm just a broke college kid giving myself a graduation present by goin on this hunt. If anyone has any info on these areas please help me out, i'm not looking for a secret spot just somewhere to go.

Would help if I could. Just rifle and muzzy hunt so don't know.
Congrats on graduating. From where?

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

I live in 34 and have a cabin in 36. Both real good Elk units but would not recommend either one for deer. I hunt private land deer in 30. Deer herd is getting better and better. Im not sure how much public land is in the unit but I know there is some. You may also try posting your question on the mule deer page. Sorry I cant help you more. Good luck bud.

from what i hear all the forest service land in unit 37 is real good deer hunting. check the nmdgf website for the unit map for a better layout. north of lincoln i believe. also might try the unit where Corona, NM is.... good archery deer hunting from what i hear .... nice muleys

Sweetbull

Don't go and tell a bunch of guys about Corona, NM and the deer. That's my back yard and where I take all my hunters. Around Corona it is mostly private land with a little state that you have to walk your tail off. Don't get me wrong it is a great place to hunt but bigger deer are in Northern NM. I run all my hunts on private land for mule deer and antelope and don't hunt the public land at all around Corona.

Correction: Corona sucks, no public land. For a good deer hunt go to 44/45, look for the big canyon near all the aspen trees. Head north-southwest towards the creek until you hear running water. Then turn and head straight up. Remember to stay away from other hunters. Here, you will find your deer

Sweetbull,

Thanks for setting things straight on the Corona area. Guys if you follow his directions I'm sure you will find the big one. Sweetbull are you from NM and if you are where are you from? I grew up in Corona and now live in Las Cruces.

NMHUNTNUTT1

Yes I worked on sheep ranches with Justin and lived next door to Doug in town. Doug taught me how to trap coyotes and other critters. I also have a few cold ones at Doug's place. I also, outfit on the ranches that Doug use too.

Because as a hunter I have busted my butt in the field to figure out where hunt to find great animals as well as invested a lot of money and time doing this. Then you just ask the question about where to go in NM and get answers to your questions without putting 1 boot down on NM soil. What have you invested in finding out where to go for great animals in NM? Not as much as me. What gets old is you asking where to go hunting. Why don't you bust your butt in the field and look for yourself?

>Because as a hunter I have
>busted my butt in the
>field to figure out where
>hunt to find great animals
>as well as invested a
>lot of money and time
>doing this. Then you
>just ask the question about
>where to go in NM
>and get answers to your
>questions without putting 1 boot
>down on NM soil.
>What have you invested in
>finding out where to go
>for great animals in NM?
> Not as much as
>me. What gets old
>is you asking where to
>go hunting. Why don't you
>bust your butt in the
>field and look for yourself?
>

I'm sure you say the same things to the hunters that call and ask about your guide services.

Well bozo (I mean LCHC) I have invested time looking at the numbers and info on the f and g website and other sources. I have not laid down any boot leather in NM but I am not made of money and cannot drive from CA to NM every weekend. I see no problem with asking what is a good unit to put in for, I didn't ask for a GPS coordinates, I asked for a good zone to put in for. I have in fact wasted a lot of boot leather in one of the worst hunting states, CA and have been very successful. I suggest you stop making your poor assumptions of me since you have no clue who I am. People like you are not a good representative of a sportsmen or a fellow hunter and not a good example for our youth hunters to follow....

Great point Wapiti Bob. If you cant charge a guy for your help he is a slouch. give me a break!

We all have a choice to offer help or not. To piss and moan about someone else helping someone is sad. I do my best to help other hunters every year because I enjoy it. The last 3 years up here I have taken people that have asked for help to some of my favorite spots. In most cases i have not regretted my decisions. I correspond with some and have been invited to hunt other states with them though I have not taken them up on it. These are guys that I have never met, but, contacted my by email from this site or others. Often they could not afford an outfitter or preffered to try to do it on their own.

This year I have convinced the parents of 3 kids in my area to get their hunter safety and apply for hunts. These kids are 8-10 and if they draw for sure i will take them to my favorite spots. In the past I have asked for help in an area and got help sometimes and sometime I have not.

Last year i had the honor of taking a 12 year old to shoot his first buck, a 22 year old his first big game animal (cow elk) not including my kids getting some of their (firsts) as well. I think this is way more satisfying to help other hunters than to (i hesitate to say charge money for help because i have nothing against guiding and i go on many guided hunts myself though do the vast majority of my hunting on my own) charge others.

LCHC not trying to blast you, I bet your a good guy and help plenty of hunters without getting paid. Just would think twice about what you wrote.

NMPaul,

Yes I was a little strong and should have not wrote what I did. I have been outfitting for 4 years and prior to that I just hunted and helped others in the field. I'm always about helping kids because they are the future for hunting. This all started out with me joking about around the Corona area with Sweetbull. In that post I also came back and wrote that it is a good area but has limited public land and said that northern NM (2c & 2b) have better deer.

Foothills12,

When you posted "Why does everyone always complain about others giving away their "secret spots"? It really does get old after awhile...." I took that post as a shot at me. I was just joking in earlier posts and don't consider that as complaining. I'm not lying to you when I say northern NM has both better numbers and bigger deer. Here is the scoop. I hunted 2c this past Jan. I didn't see many deer but the deer I did see were very big. I think it's a better rifle unit in my opinion. 2b has bigger numbers of deer and has very big deer as well. Unit 38 is around Corona with limited public land to hunt (contains a small forest and some ranches with BLM land which they have closed down to hunting traffic). Unit 37 has big deer but requires a lot of hiking. Unit 23 is a great unit with both coues and mule deer. What I hear is that the numbers have come up. My recommendation to finding out where to apply for a good unit to hunt in NM is read Eastman?s or the Huntin? Fool. They both have great selections for deer in NM. If you are investing the $$ to hunt NM I say put in for the best units and hunt hard.

I hope you got some great ideas from JH. He happens to be one of my top guides for my business. He will tell you that I'm really not a bad guy.

Didn?t mean for you to get upset about me joking in earlier posts. If you do draw for a unit in NM send me a PM and if I can help I will. I'm not a bad guy.

BOZO (LCHC)

LCHC

do u have a website of your business? I have hunt deer at unit 38....

do u play for Corona hs? 6 man team?

vinihunt

vini

I don't have a web site yet for my business. Yes I did play 6-man football 20 + years ago. How was your hunt in 38? Did you hunt public or private land?

cool..

I played for NMSD 6-man football also!

I do fine on public land with 2 bucks...1 with rifle and 1 with muzzle..that was few years ago...didn't go back after that...

vinihunt

Just my 2 cents, but if I were you Foothills I would skip the deer and put in for or buy an elk tag. Trust me you will have a lot more fun. The deer is kinda hit and miss here in NM. The elk hunting is some of the best. Don't know if you are going to be done with school by September, but if you are put in for elk. You will have a blast. If you are still in school I feel your pain. I remember taking books and a lap top with me to elk camp. If you want some suggestions on elk just PM me.

LCHC,
Are you Ty or one of Ty's brothers?
I think we have mutual friends.

Also, 264 PCHA is one of my brothers. LCHCGUIDE is another brother. Who are you and who are our friends?

I live in Tularosa. Grow pecans and own the travel center. I sit on the County FSA commity with your father-in-law. Rogene is a hell of a nice guy and damn funny.

Tried to respond to your PM guess it didn't work.
Send me a PM with some of your deer hunt info. Maybe intrested in a hunt for my kids.

Thanks Tye, hope I get to meet you.
Jay

Jay,

PCHA (Travis) is the son-in-law of Rogene. Tye is my younger brother. Maybe we can all stop in and meet you we will be on an October Rhodes hunt that I drew (Travis)

Got it figured out now. Thanks.
Look forward to meeting you guys and good luck with your draws.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom